It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Oct 2017, 13:55

Ellie wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 09:45
Ha! You know me, I am all about kinkshaming.

I bailed with one episode to go. The whole "oh my god he said 'cunts'" drama is so stupid. If it happened in real life, they should have found a way to actually make it interesting; if they just made it up for the show that's embarrassing. Plus the girlfriend is still annoying and I don't care about the tuna in Dr. Carr's laundry room. And I'm pretty sure I already know what happens with the kid rapist murder lie detector test rock thing, from the book, so I don't need to see that either.

I think I am so annoyed about this show because I'm in a major showhole and I thought this would finally break me out of it!

Edited to add: it is very pretty to look at, though.
I watched, well, let's say sat sort of in front of the TV while the series ran and I concur with Ellie. At best, it's way over-touted. Aside from the fact that there are nearly as many movies and TV shows about FBI serial killer profilers as there are about Liam Neeson using his "special skills" to save the day, I absolutely disagree that the character of the principal roles got fleshed out or that their chemistry improved. It's C minus at best.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Oct 2017, 15:02

I honestly think my near zero tolerance for vampires is higher at this point than my tolerance for serial killer fare. It is the most overdone conceit over the span of my TV watching life.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Oct 2017, 15:05

JasonL wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 15:02
I honestly think my near zero tolerance for vampires is higher at this point than my tolerance for serial killer fare. It is the most overdone conceit over the span of my TV watching life.
Are there vampire shows on the air? I've lost track.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Oct 2017, 15:12

Maybe? Dunno. I would agree we are way down from peak vampyre, but even so any new thing I see makes my eye twitch. I do occasionally have to appeal to the Beckinsale Exclusion for my derision.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 24 Oct 2017, 10:18

Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 15:05
JasonL wrote:
The Strain is still running. True Blood maybe?
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Oct 2017, 12:52

Jasper wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 10:18
Eric the .5b wrote:
JasonL wrote:
True Blood is over. I had forgotten about The Strain, though I'm given to understand that's more Nazis-with-withered-genitals-and-face-tentacles than, say, The Vampire Diaries.

(Though, apparently, there's a spinoff of the latter show still on, The Originals, about a bunch of werewolf-vampire hybrids? Ooer. Apparently, its next season is its last)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 24 Oct 2017, 13:02

Eric the .5b wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 12:52
Jasper wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 10:18
Eric the .5b wrote:
JasonL wrote:
True Blood is over. I had forgotten about The Strain, though I'm given to understand that's more Nazis-with-withered-genitals-and-face-tentacles than, say, The Vampire Diaries.

(Though, apparently, there's a spinoff of the latter show still on, The Originals, about a bunch of werewolf-vampire hybrids? Ooer. Apparently, its next season is its last)
Yeah, The Strain is more blood sucking freaks apocalypse than classic vampire; that's true.

Forgot about the tween urban fantasy stuff on networks like CW.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Oct 2017, 14:09

After how many episodes of Stranger Things (Season 1) am I supposed to really like it and not think I'm watching Stand By E.T.'s Pretty in Pink X Files?

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Oct 2017, 09:43

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 14:09
After how many episodes of Stranger Things (Season 1) am I supposed to really like it and not think I'm watching Stand By E.T.'s Pretty in Pink X Files?
That's kinda the point. It's central "reference" is basically a Stephen King miniseries that doesn't suck.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Nov 2017, 21:26

Watching Alias Grace and getting thoroughly upset at how bad life used to suck during the past.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 04 Nov 2017, 21:45

Blindspot season 3 is off to a pretty good start.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Nov 2017, 19:37

The CW has a show called Riverdale, which is a noir live action version of the comics about Archie Andrews and the gang. First episode is pretty good. It's modern, so Miss Grundy is more like Mrs. Robinson. Turns out Jughead isn't into girls because he's gay. Season 1 streaming on Netflix.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Nov 2017, 22:38

the innominate one wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 19:37
The CW has a show called Riverdale, which is a noir live action version of the comics about Archie Andrews and the gang. First episode is pretty good. It's modern, so Miss Grundy is more like Mrs. Robinson. Turns out Jughead isn't into girls because he's gay. Season 1 streaming on Netflix.
If you ever thought, What if they renamed the cast of characters of 90210 the with the names from Archie's gang, that's the show for you. If you have any love for Archie comics, probably best to give it a pass.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Nov 2017, 17:31

Embarrassing Bodies on Netflix looks promising.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Nov 2017, 22:30

08 Nov 2017, 19:37
I take it back about Jughead being gay. I confused him with another character. The series does start with a mysterious death. Moose is bi-curious on the DL.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Nov 2017, 22:35

Shades of Twin Peaks, Mädchem Amick plays Betty's mother.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 11 Nov 2017, 05:56

Next season of Mindhunter will be about the Atlanta child murders.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/mindhu ... 201889047/
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Nov 2017, 12:23

Ellie wrote:
04 Nov 2017, 21:26
Watching Alias Grace and getting thoroughly upset at how bad life used to suck during the past.
Overall pretty good, although the "reveal" was stupid and pointless.

It certainly helped that the main actress was very attractive :)
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Nov 2017, 12:28

That always helps.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Nov 2017, 21:19

dbcooper wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 05:56
Next season of Mindhunter will be about the Atlanta child murders.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/mindhu ... 201889047/
I would like to watch a well-done documentary series on abnormal psychology, including serial killers.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Nov 2017, 21:23

09 Nov 2017, 17:31
Embarrassing Bodies on Netflix looks promising.
It's interesting. Just finished the episode on breasts. The male doctor put on a pair of fake bare breasts with simulated suspicious lumps in them and walked around on a public street to teach women proper breast exam techniques. I love Brits.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Nov 2017, 21:29

Starting episode on vaginas, to be followed by an episode on penises. Amazed that these folk agreed to have what they consider to be embarrassing genitals shown on tv, along with their faces.