It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Kolohe » 18 Oct 2017, 07:43

dbcooper wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 05:42
I'm trying to watch Manhunt: Unabomber, but god damn Sam Worthington is a terrible actor.
I only watched the first (2 hr) episode, but everything about that show wasn't as good as it should have been.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 18 Oct 2017, 07:45

Kolohe wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 07:43
dbcooper wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 05:42
I'm trying to watch Manhunt: Unabomber, but god damn Sam Worthington is a terrible actor.
I only watched the first (2 hr) episode, but everything about that show wasn't as good as it should have been.
The "stupid chief" stuff was really annoying.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Oct 2017, 11:08

I can't watch "based on a true story" shows unless "based on" means "We took some events you've never heard of and used them as a vague inspiration for a very early draft of the script." When it's a famous story like the Unabomber I spend the entire time being all "Wait, is that how it actually happened?"

It doesn't help that one of my friends thinks he Learned SomethingTM from watching Manhunt: Unabomber.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Oct 2017, 11:09

Watched the 2nd episode of Mindhunter. Better. Also, I appreciate that all the small town cops actually look like old cops, not movie stars.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Oct 2017, 11:15

Thoreau- so true.

Andrew- the look of the show is very good. The only person who I even vaguely recognized was the actor playing Tench.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Oct 2017, 11:46

thoreau wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:08
I can't watch "based on a true story" shows unless "based on" means "We took some events you've never heard of and used them as a vague inspiration for a very early draft of the script." When it's a famous story like the Unabomber I spend the entire time being all "Wait, is that how it actually happened?"

It doesn't help that one of my friends thinks he Learned SomethingTM from watching Manhunt: Unabomber.
The exception to this was the OJ Simpson miniseries. Despite telling the story of one the singular media events of its time, the series added a lot of depth and context.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Oct 2017, 12:16

Kolohe wrote:
thoreau wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 11:08

The exception to this was the OJ Simpson miniseries. Despite telling the story of one the singular media events of its time, the series added a lot of depth and context.
But it also stuck pretty close to the source material, often cutting to real footage. They didn't take a minor member of the prosecution team, make him into a misunderstood hero who is pulled from retirement for "one more job", set him at odds with everyone, and fabricate a confrontation between him and OJ.

I only watched one episode of the Unabomber show, but I am mildly surprised that they didn't add a couple more tropes and say that the profiler is a week from retirement but set on revenge because he lost a loved one to another bomber who got away.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Oct 2017, 21:38

True Detective season 2 seems to hinge largely on a murder related to a corrupt land deal. Did the fact that a corrupt real estate deal is Lex Luthor's scheme in every Superman movie not give the producers pause during development?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Oct 2017, 21:45

"...known KAs..."

cf. ATM machine

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Oct 2017, 22:15

the innominate one wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 21:38
True Detective season 2 seems to hinge largely on a murder related to a corrupt land deal. Did the fact that a corrupt real estate deal is Lex Luthor's scheme in every Superman movie not give the producers pause during development?
Also literally the entire plot of the Clinton presidency?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 Oct 2017, 22:18

lunchstealer wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 22:15
Don't forget half of the Scooby-Doo episodes.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Oct 2017, 22:40

lunchstealer wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 22:15
Not really. I mean, yeah, for the first few seasons Ken was focused on the land deal, but then the writers kind of tossed his original story arc to the side and brought him into the adultery and sexual harassment side-plots. They got their best ratings from those episodes. Sex sells. Then they wrote Newt out of the show and tried to give Hillary and Al their own spin-offs.

(Hillary had a good run, but I think the final season of her show really jumped the shark when the villain won. Al got canceled in his second season, after the nomination and general election plots were wrapped up, and other than his documentary movie he hasn't really done much since.)
--Jake

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 19 Oct 2017, 11:51

This week's Family Guy was actually funny.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 19 Oct 2017, 12:51

True Detective season 2 also has something in common with The Godfather: mobster trying to go legitimate for the sake of his family.

Minor spoiler: I don't know if the female cop thinks vomiting will help alleviate the effects of the drug they gave her, but since it was a spray in the mouth instead of a pill, vomiting won't help much. She'd have absorbed the drug across the mucous membranes of the mouth.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 Oct 2017, 00:14

Okay, I take back some of my slagging on Mindhunter. It does get good after the first two episodes!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 20 Oct 2017, 15:28

Started catching up on AHS: Cult and am wondering if I'm a bad person because I immediately hate Sarah Paulson's liberal lesbian character and am rooting for the anarchist clown terrorists.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Oct 2017, 23:33

PBS Frontline: Life on Parole

Rage level eleven. All the bullshit everyone's yapping about left and right, and this shit is going on every day. We dangle freedom in front of inmates and then give them impossible standards to meet to earn it so we can yank it away from them. And what really gets me is the self-righteous fauxrage of the parole officer demeaning his convict. "How dare you go see your wife when you know you're not allowed any contact with her!"

FUCKYOUASSWIPE

Lock em up or don't. But this cat playing with a mouse shit is just eatshitanddie.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Oct 2017, 19:10

The first season of Route 66 is available now on Amazon Prime.

I realize 60s era black & white TV shows aren't many people's cup of tea these days, but show-for-show Stirling Silliphant was a better writer than Rod Serling and Route 66 was a remarkably sophisticated anthology drama on several grounds, not the least being that it was shot on location and thus shows various parts of the U.S. as it actually existed in the early 60s.

The first episode, "Black November," is fairly representative of the series at its darkest (it runs the gamut to a few episodes that are essentially farces) but, having now pitched the series once again, I'd have to admit that it's an uneven season and better episodes were aired in subsequent seasons. Also, the prints aren't all that good but may be as good as are available.

No doubt about it, we are now living in the Golden Age of Television thanks to HBO, etc. But a handful of early TV shows were remarkable literate and Route 66 was one of them. So, you know, if you've seen everything else on Netflix and Amazon Prime, maybe give it a shot.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 21 Oct 2017, 21:10

Will do. I quite enjoyed the first couple of seasons of Peter Gunn.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Oct 2017, 19:58

Ellie wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 00:14
Okay, I take back some of my slagging on Mindhunter. It does get good after the first two episodes!
Really dragging again. I am bored by Brudos the shoefucker.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 22 Oct 2017, 21:10

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 19:10
The first season of Route 66 is available now on Amazon Prime.

I realize 60s era black & white TV shows aren't many people's cup of tea these days,
Thanks for letting us know about it being on Prime, I always meant to check this show out.

A couple of years ago we watched through a couple of seasons of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Watched the show as a kid of course but it was fun to view with fresh adult eyes. Not only were the stories mostly entertaining, it was also entertaining as an anthropological spelunking through the societal assumptions and class markers of the time. Always had to end the show by making sure everyone knew the bad guy/gal got caught!

Unfortunately Netflix does what it does, and instead of adding more seasons it dropped the show.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 22 Oct 2017, 21:18

True Detective season 2 was pretty good. It suffered from not being as good as season 1, but still watchable. In a critical sense, it might eventually be considered to be better than s1, as the primary characters were highly flawed and generally unlikeable, as well as ending on something of a down note. It lacked the philosophical pseudointellectual depth of s1, though. Looking forward to season 3.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 Oct 2017, 22:13

Up to 5 episodes of Mindhunter. Still enjoying it, although it bothers me that the main character's name is Hold The Fort.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Oct 2017, 08:58

Ellie wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 19:58
Ellie wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 00:14
Really dragging again. I am bored by Brudos the shoefucker.
Why are you so intolerant of other people's sex practices?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Oct 2017, 09:45

Ha! You know me, I am all about kinkshaming.

I bailed with one episode to go. The whole "oh my god he said 'cunts'" drama is so stupid. If it happened in real life, they should have found a way to actually make it interesting; if they just made it up for the show that's embarrassing. Plus the girlfriend is still annoying and I don't care about the tuna in Dr. Carr's laundry room. And I'm pretty sure I already know what happens with the kid rapist murder lie detector test rock thing, from the book, so I don't need to see that either.

I think I am so annoyed about this show because I'm in a major showhole and I thought this would finally break me out of it!

Edited to add: it is very pretty to look at, though.