It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Hugh Akston

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Aug 2017, 14:26

A couple of other noteworthy things:

a) Disney is not a tech company, and their attempts to infiltrate the internet rarely succeed.

b) Media platforms are hard to make money on, and Disney has little patience for products that don't make money.

It won't be long before the combination of development/maintenance costs and Amazon/Netflix/Hulu bidding wars induces the Mouse to abandon its own platform and announce an exclusive partnership to deliver its content through another channel.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Aug 2017, 18:51

Disney isn't a tech company, but they now own BAMtech, which is quite good at the streaming media game (they were the old MLB streaming video service and runs HBO Go and other leagues' streaming services).
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Aug 2017, 22:27

Maybe it'll be different this time, but Disney has purchased going concerns before and augured them into the ground. They do have a good understanding of media distribution, but that is in tension with their fundamental inability to comprehend/harness the internet.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Aug 2017, 23:19

Manhunt: Unabomber

I'm enjoying it. I was skeptical about making the profiler the 'one guy who knows what he's talking about if only the dbags in charge would listen to him' (aka The Goldbum). But the forensic linguistics as depicted is pretty solid. The show jumps around in time. I like the parts about trying to find the unabomber. The cat and mouse (or is it mouse and cat!?) trying to persuade Ted to plead guilty is less satisfying.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Aug 2017, 10:23

Does it get better after the first episode (which on my DVR was two episodes run together in a 2 hr block)?

It didn't get off to good start right off the bat - the opening was a bit cheap, in that I think they were trying to do some misdirection with "people come across bearded guy in wilderness cabin"

But they gave the game away by giving a locaton title of North Carolina, when everyone who has even a passing knowledge of the material knows that Kacinski was caught out West, like Idaho or Montana.

I think their man problem is this is so much inferior to People V OJ, despite having about the same level of cast talent and Hollywood prestige (i.e. these guys have actually been in more 'big' Hollywood films than anyone in PvOJ other than Travolta. And Travolta did a better job of being himself than Chris Noth is doing).
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Aug 2017, 10:39

Kolohe wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 10:23
Does it get better after the first episode (which on my DVR was two episodes run together in a 2 hr block)?

It didn't get off to good start right off the bat - the opening was a bit cheap, in that I think they were trying to do some misdirection with "people come across bearded guy in wilderness cabin"

But they gave the game away by giving a locaton title of North Carolina, when everyone who has even a passing knowledge of the material knows that Kacinski was caught out West, like Idaho or Montana.

I think their man problem is this is so much inferior to People V OJ, despite having about the same level of cast talent and Hollywood prestige (i.e. these guys have actually been in more 'big' Hollywood films than anyone in PvOJ other than Travolta. And Travolta did a better job of being himself than Chris Noth is doing).
Huh. I didn't fall for the misdirection or even consider that it was misdirection. The first episode drew me right in.
OTOH I quit tPvOJ after the first episode.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Aug 2017, 03:08

We've been enjoying it. It's gotten better in recent episodes just because they focus less on the BS cat-and-mouse and more on the actual manhunt part.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Aug 2017, 22:45

Mrs. Mo was watching the Big Short. Nothing makes me go full commie and put the banksters behind bars more than that film.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Aug 2017, 23:13

Mo wrote:
19 Aug 2017, 22:45
Mrs. Mo was watching the Big Short. Nothing makes me go full commie and put the banksters behind bars more than that film.
Listen. Alright I got one last question for you. How are you fucking us?

There's a nicer way to say that Vinny.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 20 Aug 2017, 05:17

Mo wrote:Mrs. Mo was watching the Big Short. Nothing makes me go full commie and put the banksters behind bars more than that film.
A Rubin trade, according to the latest EconTalk.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Aug 2017, 13:25

Yessssssss

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Aug 2017, 13:31

God no.

dhex

Post by dhex » 24 Aug 2017, 16:03

i stopped after season 1 because i felt like i'd had a really good experience and belaboring that point would be too much.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Aug 2017, 17:07

This makes absolutely no sense. The fact that Netflix didn't respond with, "Fuck you, you're not a legend," makes me concerned about their management.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Aug 2017, 17:16

There's something in the comments in the article where Schumer in an instagram post says this is fake news (not in those words tho. She does call Rock and Chappelle 'legends')
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Aug 2017, 09:33

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 13:06
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 11:39
So Comrade Detective came out of nowhere, and it's actually pretty good:

For 15 to 20 minutes. Mind you, I agree it's worth recommending. I just can't imagine watching the entire thing.
David and I just binged the entire season in two nights. It's really really good, and worth watching the whole thing -- there's an actual unfolding mystery and plot, rather than just hitting the "ha ha, Communism!" propaganda jokes for six hours straight.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 04 Sep 2017, 01:34

Just in case you were one of the 13 people left who watch The Simpsons, they've fired Alf Clausen (and presumably his 35 piece orchestra, relatively unique in this day and age, the expenses for which I'm guessing was the real target of this) in favor of "a different kind of music":

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/simpson ... 202543183/
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 04 Sep 2017, 02:28

There's a kind of interesting YouTube video documenting and attempting to explain what why modern The Simpsons is a pale imitation of the show at its height. Apparently this is a thing because I was also offered a similar video on Family Guy.

Can't say if it was really worth the 30 minute time investment.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 04 Sep 2017, 15:26

the innominate one wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 02:28
There's a kind of interesting YouTube video documenting and attempting to explain what why modern The Simpsons is a pale imitation of the show at its height. Apparently this is a thing because I was also offered a similar video on Family Guy.

Can't say if it was really worth the 30 minute time investment.
Here's a chart explaining when and how it got bad. Interesting.

Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 04 Sep 2017, 16:07

The video I watched used aggregated IMDB ratings for each episode, I believe, instead of one individual's opinion.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Sep 2017, 20:06

Odd that the person mentions the safe bland TV family only being flipped on its head with the Simpsons (in 89) when Married with Children came out in 1987 and Roseanne in 1988, both were explicit revolutions against the bland family sitcom.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Sep 2017, 20:20

[Comic book guy actually voice] the Simpsons shorts that were part of Tracy Ullman aired for the first time in April 1987 [/cbgav]

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Sep 2017, 20:36

I always liked the armin tanzarian episode
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 04 Sep 2017, 20:44

Mo wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 20:06
Odd that the person mentions the safe bland TV family only being flipped on its head with the Simpsons (in 89) when Married with Children came out in 1987 and Roseanne in 1988, both were explicit revolutions against the bland family sitcom.
I thought so, too. Yeah, the shorts came out earlier, but I'm not sure that counts.

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Sep 2017, 22:03

Simpsons shorts on Ullman were more like longform Life in Hell comics than biting satire of the family sitcom.