It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
thoreau

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by thoreau » 17 Apr 2018, 19:14

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 22:10
Not that anyone really wanted a contemporary clone of Lost In Space, but we start with the problem that the 'reboot' isn't Lost In Space. I was ready to write it off after three episodes, but I let it run into the fourth episode while paying attention to something else and it somehow caught my attention again. I will say I do like both the female leads, especially Parker Posey, and the robot is a sufficiently interesting mystery for the moment that the show will probably lose my interest once it's resolved.

Frankly, we've gotten to the point where CGI is so cheap and budgets for even second tier channel original programming are big enough that there's just no point in discussing special effects unless they suck. Three years ago, The Expanse was a special effects standout but now it's just slightly better than most of the rest. Unlike Warren, I could do with less of the UN and Martian pols and more with the Belters and crew of the Rocinante / whatever its new name is.
We watched the first episode. It vacillated between being a show about "Look, kids, if you know science you can succeed in adventures!", a drama about a complicated marriage and family, and an action show with an interesting sociopath adversary. It's not that I require a show to have a genre, but I think a show should either defy genres or pick a genre, not act like a Frankenstein monster of three genres patched together.

Also, I knew they would live through the pilot, so a lot of tension was lost for me.

I spent a lot of time on my phone.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Apr 2018, 21:32

Not-a-spoiler comment for Justified Season 6: Garret Dillahunt has just shown up, and I only know him as Jody Kimball-Kinney from The Mindy Project -- and it is weirding me out way too much to see him in a serious role. I keep on wanting to say, "People actually die on this show! Go back to work with Mindy Kaling!"
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 20 Apr 2018, 12:02

As my wife is the one with a full-time job and income and the one that cares way more about TV than I ever will, she decided how big the new TV was after we narrowed it down to a Samsung 8 series. She went with an 82", because bigger is better, amirite, ladies?

This thing is fucking enormous. On the plus side, the picture is fantastic. On the down side, you see the flaws in a lot of entertainment now. Oh, wow, your green screen work is kinda crappy.

Anyhow, it most certainly is the size of the screen. Now to find something worth watching in 4K besides nature documentaries. Side note: Marina iguanas blowing snot in 4k on an 82" screen is gross as hell. I didn't need that level of detail, thanks, BBC.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Apr 2018, 13:00

82 is really really big if you aren't 20 feet away. It's not like the number of pixels goes up from a 72 or 65" 4K. They just get farther apart.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Apr 2018, 00:33

There's a new Netflix documentary about Rachel Dolezal which, oddly enough, isn't in Black & White.

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Apr 2018, 00:42

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 00:33
There's a new Netflix documentary about Rachel Dolezal which, oddly enough, isn't in Black & White.
That's the second time today you made me laugh.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Apr 2018, 05:18

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 00:33
Of course not! If it's about Dolezal, it has to be colorized.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Apr 2018, 11:27

I don’t see color.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 03 May 2018, 10:49

I watched the first few minutes of Cobra Kai, the Karate Kid sequel series on YouTube (it's a comedy). The reviews are right, it's pretty good. I likely will watch the rest, if only through a free trial of YouTube Red.

And, yes, the fighting is better than Iron Fist.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 May 2018, 21:20

Oh, hey look, SyFy cancelled a great show after it's third season. That's never happened before.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 14 May 2018, 14:06

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
11 May 2018, 21:20
Oh, hey look, SyFy cancelled a great show after it's third season. That's never happened before.
I presume the Expanse?
I'll also note thy just "announced"* the final season of Face Off meaning they will have no unscripted shows. So, I guess it's going to all sharknado all the time.

*By "announced" I mean they just released trailers with the words "final season" on them. Much to the surprise of the production company and hosts of the show.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 May 2018, 15:18

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
11 May 2018, 21:20
Naturally; they'd rather spend their budget on such high-quality programming as Sharknado XVI, Robot Piranha Mecha Ebola Hitler, Giant Man-Eating Nuclear Squid and RandomScaryShitSlammedTogetherIntoASingleWord.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 May 2018, 00:01

Man, I remember when SFC was cool.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 May 2018, 15:18

Been watching The Terror. Clearly inspired by research for Taboo; it's a fantastical dramatization of John Franklin's lost expedition. Pretty decent acting and as long as you can suspend disbelief for a rampaging spirit bear then the show's not bad. One episode left in the season and they are already trying to cross from King William Island to the mainland so I'm not sure how well the next season will fare.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 May 2018, 11:50

Kwix wrote:
15 May 2018, 15:18
Been watching The Terror. Clearly inspired by research for Taboo; it's a fantastical dramatization of John Franklin's lost expedition. Pretty decent acting and as long as you can suspend disbelief for a rampaging spirit bear then the show's not bad. One episode left in the season and they are already trying to cross from King William Island to the mainland so I'm not sure how well the next season will fare.
I'm not sure there was ever going to be a next season. We watched the first few episodes but are building it up for a binge because we've been trying to get into

I got about halfway through the book a few years back, but had to put it down in favor of lighter reading due to not wanting tense reading at bedtime and not really reading other times. I'm about ready to pick it up again, but probably won't before the season/series is over.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 16 May 2018, 19:50

lunchstealer wrote:
16 May 2018, 11:50
Kwix wrote:
15 May 2018, 15:18
I'm not sure there was ever going to be a next season. We watched the first few episodes but are building it up for a binge because we've been trying to get into

I got about halfway through the book a few years back, but had to put it down in favor of lighter reading due to not wanting tense reading at bedtime and not really reading other times. I'm about ready to pick it up again, but probably won't before the season/series is over.
The only reason I said "season" is because AMC used the term "season finale" not "series finale". Research yields that it is likely the end of the series.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 20 May 2018, 11:13

It was cold and rainy all Saturday, and after a couple hours of the inescapable royal wedding, my wife put on The Great British Bake Off. PBS season 1 on Netflix.

I get it now.

What a lovely show.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 May 2018, 04:20

thoreau wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 19:14
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 22:10
Not that anyone really wanted a contemporary clone of Lost In Space, but we start with the problem that the 'reboot' isn't Lost In Space. I was ready to write it off after three episodes, but I let it run into the fourth episode while paying attention to something else and it somehow caught my attention again. I will say I do like both the female leads, especially Parker Posey, and the robot is a sufficiently interesting mystery for the moment that the show will probably lose my interest once it's resolved.

Frankly, we've gotten to the point where CGI is so cheap and budgets for even second tier channel original programming are big enough that there's just no point in discussing special effects unless they suck. Three years ago, The Expanse was a special effects standout but now it's just slightly better than most of the rest. Unlike Warren, I could do with less of the UN and Martian pols and more with the Belters and crew of the Rocinante / whatever its new name is.
We watched the first episode. It vacillated between being a show about "Look, kids, if you know science you can succeed in adventures!", a drama about a complicated marriage and family, and an action show with an interesting sociopath adversary. It's not that I require a show to have a genre, but I think a show should either defy genres or pick a genre, not act like a Frankenstein monster of three genres patched together.

Also, I knew they would live through the pilot, so a lot of tension was lost for me.

I spent a lot of time on my phone.
Finally watched the first episode because I was bored waiting for mrs lunch to stop stalling about finishing the catch-up to The Expanse.

So far, you're right that the reboot isn't Lost in Space. At the end of the pilot, it's Earth2 II: Franchise Boogaloo. And Earth2 was done better, especially be the standards of its day.

'Look kids you can succeed in adventures if you know science!' is fine and can be mixed with either of the other two genre, although the second is an easier fit than the third. But... man they are treading close to Boxey territory.

The stakes of the series could've been ratcheted so far up if they'd let someone in the family die in the first episode. Having the robot play machina ex deus right off the bat seems to be setting a bad precedent, but that would've been much different if the robot had been a minute too late. The death in the last 30 seconds of the pilot of The Expanse kept me going through what was a slog of a second episode. At this point it's that Parker Posey was my backup '90s dysfunctional crush (primary was Jennifer Jason Leigh) and... dunno. I'll probably give it another couple or three eps to see if they take it anywhere.

I loved who Dr. Smith actually was.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 May 2018, 16:03

For those of you who have watched the delightfulness that is Netflix Queer Eye, did you know there is an internet conspiracy theory that Antoni (the food expert) can't actually cook? I am so happy I know about it now: https://www.thecut.com/2018/03/everythi ... r-eye.html
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 May 2018, 09:54

The Expanse

A little jarring this week. We closed a chapter last week with the arrest of Secretary Errinwright. Now Naomi has gone off to the belt and Bobbie is back on Mars. Other characters are absent and new characters have moved into focus.
I found Deep Purple Dude Bro distracting and generally uninteresting plot wise (though still fun). I did not see his payoff coming, that one really caught me by surprise.

ETA
Amazon picked up the show for Season 4! YEEEEEAAAAA
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 27 May 2018, 13:58

Warren wrote:
26 May 2018, 09:54
The Expanse

ETA
Noice.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 May 2018, 15:31

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
27 May 2018, 13:58
Warren wrote:
26 May 2018, 09:54
The Expanse

ETA
Noice.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 May 2018, 14:13

The new Roseanne show has been cancelled, after its start made one racist tweet too many.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/media/r ... index.html

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 May 2018, 16:00

Jennifer wrote:
29 May 2018, 14:13
The new Roseanne show has been cancelled, after its start made one racist tweet too many.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/media/r ... index.html
I'll be curious to see whether she owns the production rights versus ABC and manages to place the show elsewhere. Racist tweet or not, the show's ratings to date would have to make it attractive to some ratings-starved channel.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 May 2018, 18:38

Possibly, but Sykes and at least a couple of cast members were headed for the doors when ABC pulled the plug. It's an open question whether the show can be kept together even if they were to find a new home.