It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Warren » 14 Sep 2017, 11:28

I watch Archer sometimes, but not as entertainment.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 14 Sep 2017, 11:41

nicole wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 09:07
the innominate one wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 00:39
A disappointing part of the Pamela Anderson roast is they didn't include Bea Arthur's performance, which was one of the best parts. Her performance was probably too subtle for most people.
What?!? Bea Arthur made that roast!
I know, right?
nicole wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 09:08
12 Sep 2017, 10:58
Watching the first episode of Twin Peaks, for the first time.

Would this be better while stoned?
Is there something that isn't?

But yeah.
True, almost everything is better while stoned. Not trying to do statistics accurately, but most things. The episode was fine, I asked that question during the opening sequence.

Archer rules. The later seasons aren't as good as the earlier, but still good.

Jasper - True Detective season 1 is excellent, I agree. There is no season 3.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Sep 2017, 11:43

I also prefer Archer but I still think Bob is super funny.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Sep 2017, 11:44

14 Sep 2017, 11:41
nicole wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 09:08
12 Sep 2017, 10:58
Watching the first episode of Twin Peaks, for the first time.

Would this be better while stoned?
Is there something that isn't?

But yeah.
True, almost everything is better while stoned. Not trying to do statistics accurately, but most things. The episode was fine, I asked that question during the opening sequence.
The real answer is, you do have to "get into the mood" of it or whatever, because of how stylized it is.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 14 Sep 2017, 11:51

Yes, that was my thought at the time.

On Bob's Burgers:
Honestly, Linda's voice is intolerable, even if the show were side splitting.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 14 Sep 2017, 13:06

Warren wrote:
the innominate one wrote: Watching the first episode of Bob's Burgers confirms my inclination to not have watched it sooner. How can anyone tolerate the voice of someone like the Linda character for any amount of time is beyond me. Plus, not generally entertaining.
I plowed through the whole first season. It doesn't get better.
Horse butt.

Excited for Vice Principals to return. I'm sure The Deuce will come together in a marvelous way. Then Curb returns and HBO is king of Sunday nights again.
Guess I should find a funny sig, huh?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 14 Sep 2017, 13:31

Keska say horse butt?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Sep 2017, 17:13

I can't say when Bob's Burgers grew the beard, but it did take awhile to find its rhythm. I really love it, though. Linda and I are pretty much the same person (though I do hope my voice is less annoying).
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Sep 2017, 17:51

Jennifer wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 23:50
Yeesh, the South Park season premiere was super-disappointing.
I hadn't watched in forever, so the whole Cartman whosits Alexa love triangle was just jarring and weird.

I think they missed the boat on the remodeling shows by about two years. In 2015 it would be funny. In 2017 it just seems sloppy. They had to explain the joke in the name.

The "You Will Not Replace Us!" chant was funny in the South Park ohshittheywentthere way, so, 1.2/5, maybe?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Sep 2017, 17:57

Ellie wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 17:13
I can't say when Bob's Burgers grew the beard, but it did take awhile to find its rhythm. I really love it, though. Linda and I are pretty much the same person (though I do hope my voice is less annoying).
Personally I knew by "Crawl Space" that I was all in.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Sep 2017, 18:03

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 17:51
Jennifer wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 23:50
Yeesh, the South Park season premiere was super-disappointing.
I hadn't watched in forever, so the whole Cartman whosits Alexa love triangle was just jarring and weird.

I think they missed the boat on the remodeling shows by about two years. In 2015 it would be funny. In 2017 it just seems sloppy. They had to explain the joke in the name.

The "You Will Not Replace Us!" chant was funny in the South Park ohshittheywentthere way, so, 1.2/5, maybe?
I might, possibly, have liked the episode a tad more had I not seen any ads or summaries about it beforehand. Instead, I saw episode summaries and brief teasers suggesting they were going to turn their brand of satire on the tiki-torch Nazis, but instead of satirizing them, it was almost like they whitewashed them (bad choice of words, I know). The actual Charlottesville marchers were not protesting automation putting them out of work; they were expressing rage at entire subgroups of people comprising almost half the country's population (Jews + everyone not considered "white" by current racial standards). And very few of the Charlottesville marchers were middle-aged or older folks with genuinely sympathetic complaints about how they can't find work because their skills are outdated but they lack the money and/or time to get new skills; most of those Nazi/Confederate assholes were college students or at least college age.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 14 Sep 2017, 18:13

South Park should do an episode about jumping the shark, because they clearly have. It would be the ultimate in self-referential and intertextual storytelling.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Sep 2017, 18:47

14 Sep 2017, 18:13
South Park should do an episode about jumping the shark, because they clearly have. It would be the ultimate in self-referential and intertextual storytelling.
The series finale of Batman: The Brave and the Bold did that, complete with Batman literally jumping over a shark.

Last season of South Park was pretty good, I thought. But last night's episode -- yuck. If that was the best they could do with Charlottesville, they should've just ignored it altogether. "Presenting something as completely different and far more innocuous than it actually was" is NOT the definition of "satire," dumbasses.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 14 Sep 2017, 18:54

Ellie wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 17:13
Yeah I really liked it pretty much from the get-go. Of course anything with Jon Benjamin is going to get my attention.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Sep 2017, 22:14

14 Sep 2017, 18:13
They did that episode. The one with Family guy and the Manatees and Mohamed.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 14 Sep 2017, 23:05

And then they should have stopped producing the show.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 14 Sep 2017, 23:23

Can't remember if I've mentioned it, but sneaking of H. Jon Benjamin, People of Earth is a great show. It's Douglas Adams for the late 20-teens.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 14 Sep 2017, 23:43

Difficult People s2 introduces a transwoman who is amusingly aggressive and a 9/11 truther. Lots of good cameos in the series, including Tina Fey as herself and Seth Meyers as a gay conman. John Mulaney also hooks up with Billy the gay protagonist.

Julie's boyfriend has a lot of amusing pet names for her, in an understated recurring joke.

Mink Stole guests as well in one episode.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 17 Sep 2017, 22:00

Season 4 of Bojack isn't exactly blowing my mind.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Sep 2017, 23:12

I caught Spy on the plane and it was pretty darn good. Spicer should go back to Hollywood.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Sep 2017, 12:26

Andrew wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 22:00
How far along are you?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Sep 2017, 12:29

18 Sep 2017, 12:26
Andrew wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 22:00
How far along are you?
4 episodes.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Sep 2017, 12:31

It gets better, but pretty slowly.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Sep 2017, 15:17

If there is something that actually bothered me about the Emmys, it that with the well over 400 scripted shows (so they said), so many of the same show were nominated for various categories. I.e. all those categories that are judged by episode, like writing & directing, had numerous episodes of a single show nominated. I seem to remember one category basically being between two shows, with 3 episodes of one and 3 of the other.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Sep 2017, 21:55

Notable line from an episode of Difficult People: Billy tells a crew member that he wishes his friend Julie were here, she'd tell him what to do. The crew member replied, "Julie, huh? Does Julie have a big pussy? I like it when the roast beef goes past the bread."