It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1479
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Kwix » 21 Feb 2018, 16:27

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 16:13
This will likely be bad:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_in ... TV_series)
Yeah, that cast and crew does not fill me with any sense of hope.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15896
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Feb 2018, 16:30

Kwix wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 16:27
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 16:13
This will likely be bad:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_in ... TV_series)
Yeah, that cast and crew does not fill me with any sense of hope.
I am amused at the idea of Parker Posey as Dr. Smith.

Otherwise, yeah nothing there looks good.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Feb 2018, 16:35

The one hope I see is that Neil Marshall will direct some episodes. He directed the great horror movie "The Descent," and "The Blackwater" and "The Watchers in the Wall" for GOT.

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2828
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Jasper » 21 Feb 2018, 16:36

"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12223
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Feb 2018, 19:11

lunchstealer wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 16:30
I am amused at the idea of Parker Posey as Dr. Smith.

Otherwise, yeah nothing there looks good.
As far as I'm concerned, there's one sensible casting for Dr. Smith:

Image

But nobody would reboot Lost in Space the way I'd want it, as SF adventure with at least half a brain.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24248
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Warren » 21 Feb 2018, 19:59

I'll see your
Image
and raise you
Image
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Feb 2018, 20:04

One gritty reboot of a silly show (BSG) is enough.

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12223
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Feb 2018, 20:58

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 20:04
One gritty reboot of a silly show (BSG) is enough.
I didn't say gritty, I said adventure.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Feb 2018, 21:12

Eric the .5b wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 20:58
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 20:04
One gritty reboot of a silly show (BSG) is enough.
I didn't say gritty, I said adventure.
I'm specifically responding to the Ian McShane photo. If he were in it, it'd be gritty.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24248
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Warren » 21 Feb 2018, 21:48

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 21:12
Eric the .5b wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 20:58
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 20:04
One gritty reboot of a silly show (BSG) is enough.
I didn't say gritty, I said adventure.
I'm specifically responding to the Ian McShane photo. If he were in it, it'd be gritty.
The pain! The pain!


ETA
Okay, you're right. Too gritty.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11292
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Ellie » 21 Feb 2018, 22:01

I'm fine with a gender swap, but Dr. Smith needs to chew the scenery or gtfo. Parker Posey sounds horrible to me. I could see Lily Tomlin or Jane Lynch; or if they wanted a younger person, Kristin Wiig or Ellie Kemper or Leslie Jones.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24248
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Warren » 21 Feb 2018, 22:18

Ellie wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 22:01
I'm fine with a gender swap, but Dr. Smith needs to chew the scenery or gtfo. Parker Posey sounds horrible to me. I could see Lily Tomlin or Jane Lynch; or if they wanted a younger person, Kristin Wiig or Ellie Kemper or Leslie Jones.
Tomlin is for sure too old, Lynch is pretty long in the tooth as well. But I'd take Posey over Wiig or Kemper and I'd take root canal over Jones.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Sandy » 21 Feb 2018, 22:24

Ellie wrote:I'm fine with a gender swap, but Dr. Smith needs to chew the scenery or gtfo. Parker Posey sounds horrible to me. I could see Lily Tomlin or Jane Lynch; or if they wanted a younger person, Kristin Wiig or Ellie Kemper or Leslie Jones.
WHERE IS HIS BUSY BEE?!????

Though Kemper is welcome to star in my bunk.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11292
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Ellie » 21 Feb 2018, 23:33

Warren wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 22:18
Tomlin is for sure too old, Lynch is pretty long in the tooth as well.
But wasn't original Doctor Smith pretty old?
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12223
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Feb 2018, 23:48

Ellie wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 23:33
Warren wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 22:18
Tomlin is for sure too old, Lynch is pretty long in the tooth as well.
But wasn't original Doctor Smith pretty old?
50 when the show started.

Actors looked rougher, back then.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15896
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Feb 2018, 04:42

Sandy wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 22:24
Ellie wrote:I'm fine with a gender swap, but Dr. Smith needs to chew the scenery or gtfo. Parker Posey sounds horrible to me. I could see Lily Tomlin or Jane Lynch; or if they wanted a younger person, Kristin Wiig or Ellie Kemper or Leslie Jones.
WHERE IS HIS BUSY BEE?!????

Though Kemper is welcome to star in my bunk.
^ this guy knows what's what.

Although thinking of it now, Christopher Guest could do a good Dr. Smith. Or Michael McKean.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15363
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by dhex » 22 Feb 2018, 06:52

Ellie wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 22:01
Parker Posey sounds horrible to me.
dude what?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 11292
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Ellie » 22 Feb 2018, 10:43

dhex wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 06:52
Ellie wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 22:01
Parker Posey sounds horrible to me.
dude what?
Admittedly all I've seen her in was Best in Show. (And liked her in that, but she doesn't say "Dr. Smith" to me at ALL.)
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

User avatar
MJGreen
Posts: 123
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 14:26

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by MJGreen » 22 Feb 2018, 11:17

Parker Posey could be a lot of fun in the role, my problem is... a show about a snot-nosed kid in constant danger? With a teenage sister and idealistic mother? I don't see this working great in 2018.

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2828
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Jasper » 22 Feb 2018, 13:06

Posey is a good pick. I could see Sarah Paulson too. Jane Lynch would work well, I think, if they parlayed her deadpan comic chops as mean sarcasm.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15896
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Feb 2018, 13:11

Jasper wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 13:06
Posey is a good pick. I could see Sarah Paulson too. Jane Lynch would work well, I think, if they parlayed her deadpan comic chops as mean sarcasm.
I can't cosign Paulson, but mostly because Studio 60 poisoned that well for me. Sorkin had me wanting her to get eaten by reavers.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2828
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Jasper » 22 Feb 2018, 13:15

lunchstealer wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 13:11
Jasper wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 13:06
Posey is a good pick. I could see Sarah Paulson too. Jane Lynch would work well, I think, if they parlayed her deadpan comic chops as mean sarcasm.
I can't cosign Paulson, but mostly because Studio 60 poisoned that well for me. Sorkin had me wanting her to get eaten by reavers.
Hmm. I never even heard of Studio 60, tbh. I was mainly going off her work in AHS.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Sandy » 22 Feb 2018, 14:52

This would be one of the few appropriate roles for Will Farrell.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17886
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Feb 2018, 16:07

Sandy wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 14:52
This would be one of the few appropriate roles for Will Farrell.
Do you think he'd be willing to transition to get the part?

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9984
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Sandy » 22 Feb 2018, 16:59

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 16:07
Sandy wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 14:52
This would be one of the few appropriate roles for Will Farrell.
Do you think he'd be willing to transition to get the part?
It worked for Jeffrey Tambor.

Until...you know.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests