It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
the innominate one

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by the innominate one » 24 Nov 2017, 13:39

the innominate one wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 21:19
dbcooper wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 05:56
Next season of Mindhunter will be about the Atlanta child murders.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/mindhu ... 201889047/
I would like to watch a well-done documentary series on abnormal psychology, including serial killers.
Huh. Netflix has a series "Inside the Mind of a Serial Killer". No idea if it's well-done or not. I note they have an episode on Anders Brevik, who was a mass murderer, not a serial killer.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 29 Nov 2017, 04:39

The pilot of GLOW has a great soundtrack. Scandal, Patti LaBelle, and the best Journey song.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Nov 2017, 12:46

dbcooper wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 04:39
The pilot of GLOW has a great soundtrack. Scandal, Patti LaBelle, and the best Journey song.
Do you mean the sitcom with Marc Maron or the documentary about the real GLOW?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 03 Dec 2017, 10:30

Just watched Too Funny To Fail, a documentary about The Dana Carvey Show. It really seems like the show might have been a failure because of scheduling and lack of understanding of what the audience for the show would have been. It perhaps didn't belong in primetime, but definitely didn't belong following Home Improvement.

Note: I never watched the show itself myself.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

JD

Post by JD » 04 Dec 2017, 13:31

Woohoo, Drunk History is coming back in 2018.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Dec 2017, 12:12

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is terrific! Okay, I'm a bit biased because of the stand-up comedy premise, but if you have Amazon Prime, at least watch the first episode.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Dec 2017, 14:27

So I watched the punisher. My old apartment in Astoria was in it. Too long by far.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 15 Dec 2017, 10:34

Part way through season 2 of The Crown- it is well done, but I just don't give a crap about the Upper Class Twit Olympics. Am enjoying learning bits of British history I was unfamiliar with.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Dec 2017, 16:47

Isn't that like saying I'm watching the Actual Olympics, but I don't give a crap about all the athletic competition?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Dec 2017, 17:44

Kolohe wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 16:47
Isn't that like saying I'm watching the Actual Olympics, but I don't give a crap about all the athletic competition?
Most of the Olympic coverage I've seen over the years doesn't focus on athletic competition all that much.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Dec 2017, 18:33

Fair enough.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 15 Dec 2017, 19:19

More a monty python reference than an actual analogy I guess.

I like the the history and seeing the fashion, but mostly I'm still watching because the wife likes it. If the show gets as far as Princess Di, I'm definitely out.

If the show is intended to humanize the monarchy, I suppose it works, but it hasn't done anything to convince me of the legitimacy of it (most likely it couldn't no matter what), which is always going to kneecap how much I can care about the characters.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 Dec 2017, 19:32

I doubt the producers care about humanizing Elizabeth and her family and I suspect they're not getting much support from the Royals. I've liked Clair Foy in most of her roles and doubt I'll be all that interested in subsequent "Elizabeths".

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Dec 2017, 19:38

They are getting support from the Royal Industrial Complex, which does have a mission to humanize Elizabeth - albeit in a hagiographic manner.

This is based on a podcast interview with the guy who wrote the companion book and consults for the show, who's like 70 something years old and has spent 3/4 of his life as a professional historian making the Windsors his subject of focus.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Dec 2017, 00:28

Errol Morris's Wormwood is streaming on Netflix now.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Dec 2017, 05:28

Enjoying it but FFS, this guy was doing a Psychology PhD at Harvard in getting people to make photo collages. Come on! That's like a parody of pseudo-science.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Dec 2017, 06:00

Rest of the second episode was good, but god damn that made me angry. I probably won't get my Nature Biotechnology paper because a feud has erupted between Insitut Pasteur and the biotech company, and that fuck was doing some fucking voodoo. What was he supposed to measure? What were the possible controls?

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Dec 2017, 06:12

I emailed my boss to be in China about it, and he replied "oh that is not unusual, people get very emotional over those big publications."

I was like "No, you don't understand, they are French!"

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Dec 2017, 06:24

Anyway, I would really not like to have that kind of career set-back, and denial of my invention, because these assholes can't agree on sharing credit.

The shitty thing is that the technology was invented by my boss, me, my two labmates, and my good friend who was formerly at the lab then the biotech company, but none of us will be first author, and several of us may not even be authors if it ever gets published. Two actual idiots are fighting over first author, and neither made any intellectual contribution. One of them is a complete fucking idiot whom was nursed through the basics by my friend and I.

Biotech academia is shit.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Dec 2017, 06:44

In case I forgot to mention it, that's two and a half years of my life down the drain.

At least I got a decent patent out of it.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 16 Dec 2017, 09:58

Royalties?

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Dec 2017, 09:59

the innominate one wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 09:58
Royalties?
Not yet.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Dec 2017, 12:24

Watching Dark on Netflix since I heard some good things about it. So far mostly just distracted at how wooden some of the voice acting (dubbing) is.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Dec 2017, 15:50

dead_elvis wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 10:34
Part way through season 2 of The Crown- it is well done, but I just don't give a crap about the Upper Class Twit Olympics. Am enjoying learning bits of British history I was unfamiliar with.
Watched the first episode. I see what you mean about the Upper Class Twit Olympics. Still it's a fine costume drama. I'm caught up on Versailles but I think it's played out. Don't know if I'll bother picking it up again. I still see Lane Pryce when I watch Jared Harris, but he's already mostly dead. The most striking thing is how far short John Lithgow's performance of Winston Churchill falls. It's like watching Adam Sandler doing and impersonation of JFK.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Dec 2017, 16:53

Warren wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 15:50
I still see Lane Pryce when I watch Jared Harris, but he's already mostly dead.
Same here.
The most striking thing is how far short John Lithgow's performance of Winston Churchill falls.
YES!!!! I only watched a few episodes of the show because I couldn't get past how ridiculous that performance was.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.