It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Warren » 24 Feb 2018, 01:06

Half way through the first season of Luke Cage.
Why do they keep shooting him in the chest/torso? If you were shooting a guy at close range and hit him with your first three shots to the chest, would you empty the rest of your magazine there too? Everyone even knows about his abilities now. But bad guy after bad guy keeps shooting him over and over. No one ever thinks to shoot him in the eye, or even just the face. Harlem gangsters are dumb.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Feb 2018, 23:17

Mute is bad. There are parts to like eight different movies in there. So much could be cut, but I don't think you could come up with a good movie no matter what you do.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Mar 2018, 23:17

A few episodes into Archer: Dreamland (season 8) which just became available on Hulu. It's not amazing but I'm enjoying it so far.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Mar 2018, 23:36

Ellie wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 23:17
A few episodes into Archer: Dreamland (season 8) which just became available on Hulu. It's not amazing but I'm enjoying it so far.
I dig the retro thing. I also like how they cast Pam as a man.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 03 Mar 2018, 14:20

Ellie wrote:
I'm on Netflix, hadn't noticed a new season showing up and NOW I AM PISSED.
Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 11.09.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 11.09.49 AM.png (27.89 KiB) Viewed 919 times
Netflix manages to vomit up a new season of Love and seems to be cranking out new movie after movie but can't manage to keep one of the best shows on TV. Fuck those fucking fucks. Their selection is continuing its journey to become the video section of a Circle K convenience store circa 1988.

I guess I need to invest some time in getting Kodi/Exodus back up and running cause this is straight up the last straw with these fuckers. The other night I wanted to watch that Columbo episode with Johnny Cash- hmmm, I could swear I had Columbo in My List... of course it just fucking disappeared, just like Rockford Files before that...

I want my long tail dammit. Add, don't subtract.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Mar 2018, 14:21

The new season of Archer is only available on Hulu at the moment.

And yeah, I am PISSED at how much stuff Netflix keeps taking off its streaming service. What possible benefit does that have for anyone involved?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 03 Mar 2018, 14:25

If you want the long tail, subscribe to the DVD service. They don’t have to negotiate licensing for those.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Mar 2018, 15:38

Ellie wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 14:21

And yeah, I am PISSED at how much stuff Netflix keeps taking off its streaming service. What possible benefit does that have for anyone involved?
Netflix, because they don't have to pay for it. It's not like Netflix is hoarding things like Disney. It's that their rights contracts run out, and everyone else realizes they need to take their content back for their own shitty streaming service. So if Netflix wanted it, they'd have to pay way too much.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Mar 2018, 15:51

Highway wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 15:38
Ellie wrote:

Netflix, because they don't have to pay for it. It's not like Netflix is hoarding things like Disney. It's that their rights contracts run out, and everyone else realizes they need to take their content back for their own shitty streaming service. So if Netflix wanted it, they'd have to pay way too much.
Yeah, over in the investment world I keep hearing the same back and forth:
Broker #1: Netflix is a strong buy because their revenues are HUGE
Broker #2: Netflix is a strong sell because their costs are HUGE
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 03 Mar 2018, 16:28

Warren wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 15:51
Highway wrote:
Ellie wrote:

Yeah, over in the investment world I keep hearing the same back and forth:
Broker #1: Netflix is a strong buy because their revenues are HUGE
Broker #2: Netflix is a strong sell because their costs are HUGE
I just have a hard time believing that MeTV can somehow make the numbers work but Netflix can't.

I don't like how this forces a change in viewing habits; if you want to make sure to see later seasons of a show, you have to binge it. You can't watch a season or two of something and come back to it later. As enjoyable as they are, shows like Columbo or Rockford Files don't binge well because they are so formulaic.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 03 Mar 2018, 16:33

Highway wrote:
Ellie wrote:

Define "pay too much". I'd happily pay more for a streaming service that tried to have everything. If one service had an obviously more complete selection, it would be a selling point that they could charge more for.

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Mar 2018, 17:40

dead_elvis wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 16:33
Highway wrote:
Ellie wrote:

Define "pay too much". I'd happily pay more for a streaming service that tried to have everything. If one service had an obviously more complete selection, it would be a selling point that they could charge more for.
That's just not going to happen any time soon, tho. It was a lot closer before, when there was a bigger hurdle to being in the streaming business, so there was an advantage to various content owners to license things to Netflix for rather cheap (because it's better than the zero dollars they were getting just having properties sit around doing nothing). But now it's a way better proposition to everyone to keep their own content and make a streaming service. Maybe they'll be the "next Netflix, but bigger!" Or maybe they won't, but they think they'll still make more money doing that than they would licensing it. Maybe when things shake out, and it becomes obvious that they won't make as much money as they think (Let's see how CBS All-Access is doing in 5 years), they'll go back to licensing to bigger names. And even then, there's going to be competition between big services, just like there's competition between premium movie networks and TV networks.

First, tho, we're going to have to go through this "everyone has their own premium streaming" phase. We're just entering it now. In auto racing, (just because it's something I follow) Formula 1 basically *gave* ESPN the broadcast rights to F1 for this year because they're starting their own Over-the-top streaming system, and noone else (i.e. NBC) would accept only over-the-air rights. WEC has their own streaming, IndyCar is looking into working OTT streaming into their next TV deal. Disney is holding things from Netflix because they want to start their own streaming. Everyone's going to have their own streaming, and it's probably going to end up costing you more to watch what you want to watch.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Mar 2018, 18:57

I just have a hard time believing that MeTV can somehow make the numbers work but Netflix can't.
MeTV's business model is closer to old-school pre-cable broadcast TV, though, isn't it? Don't charge people who want towatch your stuff: charge advertisers to show ads to the people watching your stuff.

That said, when I first read your complaints about being unable to watch Rockford Files and Kojak, my first thought was that either MeTV, Cozi or Antenna -- one of the "old TV shows" digital networks -- also airs those series.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Mar 2018, 19:34

There is a HUGE issue that separates MeTV from any streaming service: Many old series had bought the music rights for TV broadcast. Those rights do not transfer to streaming (or even to home video release). Any series that wants to be streamed has to either have no licensed music, or acquire streaming licenses for that music. Many times, even if they wanted to license it and put it on a streaming service, they can't even figure out who to acquire a license from.

On top of that, TV broadcast is very forgiving of the terrible quality that most of those old shows are stored in. Remember that NTSC TV has only 480 lines, so if you show it on someone's big screen, it has to upconvert more than double the vertical resolution. TV decoders already build this in, but streaming will REALLY suffer if you just scale it up. So anyone who wants acceptable video full screen on modern televisions would need to remaster the shows, which is another huge expense. And honestly, noone wants to watch that stuff. You might think you do, but you don't really. You want the feeling of having it available, in 'your collection', so to speak. Maybe you'd watch a whole old series or two. But you wouldn't want to really pay for it. You'd want it as an extra for something that you're already buying. That's why MeTV piggybacks on some other channel's extra bandwidth.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Mar 2018, 19:47

Highway wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 19:34
Many old series had bought the music rights for TV broadcast. Those rights do not transfer to streaming (or even to home video release). Any series that wants to be streamed has to either have no licensed music, or acquire streaming licenses for that music. Many times, even if they wanted to license it and put it on a streaming service, they can't even figure out who to acquire a license from.
Reason no. 7533 why we need to do away with copyright.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Mar 2018, 12:17

Highway wrote:
There is a HUGE issue that separates MeTV from any streaming service: Many old series had bought the music rights for TV broadcast. Those rights do not transfer to streaming (or even to home video release). Any series that wants to be streamed has to either have no licensed music, or acquire streaming licenses for that music. Many times, even if they wanted to license it and put it on a streaming service, they can't even figure out who to acquire a license from.

On top of that, TV broadcast is very forgiving of the terrible quality that most of those old shows are stored in. Remember that NTSC TV has only 480 lines, so if you show it on someone's big screen, it has to upconvert more than double the vertical resolution. TV decoders already build this in, but streaming will REALLY suffer if you just scale it up. So anyone who wants acceptable video full screen on modern televisions would need to remaster the shows, which is another huge expense. And honestly, noone wants to watch that stuff. You might think you do, but you don't really. You want the feeling of having it available, in 'your collection', so to speak. Maybe you'd watch a whole old series or two. But you wouldn't want to really pay for it. You'd want it as an extra for something that you're already buying. That's why MeTV piggybacks on some other channel's extra bandwidth.
By the late 50s, most TV series were shot on good B&W film stock and were fairly easy to remaster. Color film and, gawd, video tape are more of a mixed bag, though they can be and many have been restored to their original condition or better. But as far as I know, none of that has to do with transmission limitations. If anything, TV watchers in the pre-digital age were always watching degraded pictures compared to the quality of the original film masters. OTOH, it seems contemporary viewers are turned off by the older aspect ratios, which in turn affects streaming services' willingness to pay to run them.

Yes, securing collateral copyright for streaming has been a problem for music in particular, but increasingly NETFLIX's problem is that content owners who were at first glad for yet another revenue stream are holding back more and more material for better deals or streaming services of their own. It's not NETFLIX's fault, per se, that there are thousands of really crappy movies out there that no one gives a damn about but they can use to boost their inventory. Amazon Prime does the same thing for the same reasons.

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Mar 2018, 14:18

And if someone wanted to go back to the masters to remaster it, then they are there to use. But that's not what they'd want to use, because that would kill the chance of making any money on it. They'd want to use the broadcast versions, because that would be easy and cheap. And those are on crummy tape. It's not a question of possibility, it's a question of who wants to do it and for what reason. And "So that a bunch of people can file it in their head as part of their 'collection' without paying for it" isn't a particularly good reason for them to spend money on it.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 04 Mar 2018, 14:27

Warren wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 19:47
Highway wrote:
Many old series had bought the music rights for TV broadcast. Those rights do not transfer to streaming (or even to home video release). Any series that wants to be streamed has to either have no licensed music, or acquire streaming licenses for that music. Many times, even if they wanted to license it and put it on a streaming service, they can't even figure out who to acquire a license from.
Reason no. 7533 why we need to do away with copyright.
While I would just like to get rid of copyright, this makes me wonder if there could be some sort of abandonment clause added to the current laws. Like someone could put in a challenge that a property no longer has a "functional" owner or the like. Then any copyright holders have a year or two to produce the documents that support their claim. If no one can produce them the copyright becomes public domain. If someone does have them everyone at least knows who has it now.

You would of course have to limit challenges for each property and also need some financial hit (legal fees in escrow or the like) to file one so people can't just spam them. I'm pretty sure even lawyers would be fine with it though as it gives them one more thing to bill hours for.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Mar 2018, 15:13

Highway wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 14:18
And if someone wanted to go back to the masters to remaster it, then they are there to use. But that's not what they'd want to use, because that would kill the chance of making any money on it. They'd want to use the broadcast versions, because that would be easy and cheap. And those are on crummy tape. It's not a question of possibility, it's a question of who wants to do it and for what reason. And "So that a bunch of people can file it in their head as part of their 'collection' without paying for it" isn't a particularly good reason for them to spend money on it.
Not entirely. As I said, most B&W TV shows were beautifully filmed. Stations use digital copies of everything now and the owners' digitalized copies of those shows are, for the most part, extremely good. (The irony of early TV is that they took much greater pains to shoot good footage than the TV technology was capable of delivering.) The principle problem with later color TV shows is both the fading of color, actually, not a difficult thing to fix at the digitalization level, but also the inherent ugliness of the color palette. Technicolor, for example, looks great in some movie classics, e.g., The Wizard of Oz, but its exaggerated color palette looks like crap today in anything shooting for realism. Anyway, color TV programs were an entirely different set of problems. The early color cameras TV used were, well, not very good to begin with though, again, some shows were shot with color film cameras and the range of quality of surviving masters is quite wide.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Mar 2018, 20:43

One thing I found interesting, when watching old 1950s black-and-white game shows (either To Tell the Truth or What's My Line) -- either the old video cameras or the old B&W film or tape could not handle bright light. On those shows there were certain women -- Dorothy Kilgallen's name comes to mind, but I know there are others I can't currently recall -- who would wear diamond or rhinestone jewelry that sparkled under the stage lights, and whenever those sparkles shone right into the camera they overwhelmed everything, so instead of seeing bright light you see a spot of darkness. There were also little halos of darkness surrounding other bright spots -- things like the edge of a super-shiny musician's horn, say.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 05 Mar 2018, 11:48

Jennifer wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 20:43
One thing I found interesting, when watching old 1950s black-and-white game shows (either To Tell the Truth or What's My Line) -- either the old video cameras or the old B&W film or tape could not handle bright light. On those shows there were certain women -- Dorothy Kilgallen's name comes to mind, but I know there are others I can't currently recall -- who would wear diamond or rhinestone jewelry that sparkled under the stage lights, and whenever those sparkles shone right into the camera they overwhelmed everything, so instead of seeing bright light you see a spot of darkness. There were also little halos of darkness surrounding other bright spots -- things like the edge of a super-shiny musician's horn, say.
I've seen that too - it looks kind of like solarisation, although I'm not sure if it's exactly the same thing. Fun fact: there's a color of guitar finish called "TV Yellow", which was introduced in the 1950s, and people are still arguing over whether it was called TV Yellow because it was imitative of the blonde wood that a lot of TV cabinets of the time were finished in, or whether it was chosen because actual white guitars would tend to blow out on TV (causing the reversal effect you see), whereas a light yellow would still come across as a very light color without blowing out.

EDIT: put in link for TV Yellow.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Mar 2018, 11:54

dead_elvis wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 14:20
Ellie wrote:
I'm on Netflix, hadn't noticed a new season showing up and NOW I AM PISSED.

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 11.09.49 AM.png

Netflix manages to vomit up a new season of Love and seems to be cranking out new movie after movie but can't manage to keep one of the best shows on TV. Fuck those fucking fucks. Their selection is continuing its journey to become the video section of a Circle K convenience store circa 1988.

I guess I need to invest some time in getting Kodi/Exodus back up and running cause this is straight up the last straw with these fuckers. The other night I wanted to watch that Columbo episode with Johnny Cash- hmmm, I could swear I had Columbo in My List... of course it just fucking disappeared, just like Rockford Files before that...

I want my long tail dammit. Add, don't subtract.
Ugh, now I'm pissed too
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Mar 2018, 12:19

Jennifer wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 20:43
Unlike the filmed TV series of the same era (beginning, I believe, with I Love Lucy), most of those old game shows were preserved, if at all, on kinescopes, probably less for preservation than for airing on the west coast; hence, the crappy quality. Many of the 'prestige' live drama series of the era, e.g., Playhouse 90, were also preserved only on kinescope.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Mar 2018, 18:20

Returning The Favor is a Facebook show hosted by Mike Roe.
It's one of those super sappy things where they go find somebody doing charitable work, tell their story a little bit, and give them a bunch of stuff.
It's so formulaic and saccharin. And I cry ever episode. Sometimes I'm not even all that supportive of what the charity is. But I always cry. I don't know how they do that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 08 Mar 2018, 20:28

Warren wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 18:20
a Facebook show
A whaa?? Is this a thing?
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie