It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Warren » 18 Nov 2019, 14:01

JD wrote:
18 Nov 2019, 12:16
Started watching Watchmen the other day. I like it in some ways, but they're definitely going this route of "Here's some mysterious stuff. Dig into it and start explaining? Nah, let's just pile more mysterious stuff on top of it!" Four episodes in and the show is already at risk of exceeding its "gimme threshhold".

(I think I've referred to this concept before, but: every writer of fiction asks the consumer for certain "gimmes", like "Grant that in this world superheroes exist" or "Grant that in this world Germany won WWII" or whatever. That's fine, that's the basis for the fiction. But when the author starts assuming what seem like arbitrary gimmes, that don't seem to follow from anything, then it gets to be a problem, like if you read 400 pages into a novel about a world where the US broke up but the USSR lasted, when suddenly you learn that also dogs can talk in this world.)

"In this world, superheroes exist."
OK, cool, let's go with that!
"And a terrorist organization killed almost the cops in Tulsa and the response was to let cops wear masks."
OK, seems kind of weird, especially since we know that the state police and FBI are also a thing in this world, and apparently they didn't do dick about it, but sure.
"And this guy has this weird castle where he's being held prisoner, and he grows clones in tanks."
Not sure how that ties in with anything, and nobody else in the world seems to have technology like what he seems to be able to do with basically no support structure, but...
"And tomatoes grow on trees."
TOMATOES DO NOT GROW ON FUCKING TREES
I don't limit the gimmes, but I insist that all the gimmes are respected at all times. So "And a terrorist organization killed almost the cops in Tulsa and the response was to let cops wear masks." OK, seems kind of weird, especially since we know that the state police and FBI are also a thing in this world, and apparently they didn't do dick about it, but sure." is a deal breaker.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Jasper » 27 Nov 2019, 19:44

Fresh off the Boat is pretty good.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JD
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by JD » 02 Dec 2019, 10:12

Episode 6 of Watchmen ("This Extraordinary Being") was pretty damn good, though, as it finally does begin to explain some stuff (partly through a bit of a ridiculous mechanism, but oh well) in a really powerful way.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD » 09 Dec 2019, 10:29

Tried watching the first episode of Reprisal. The best way I can describe it is that it's like someone said, "Hey, what if Robert Rodriguez directed a mashup of Sons of Anarchy and Mad Men?" but didn't really have any idea how to write it very well. It looks good and it's mildly entertaining, but pretty much everything in it makes you say "Haven't I seen this somewhere before?" and paraphrasing the Hollywood Reporter's review, every episode feels like it should take about half as long as it actually does. I'll try watching a little more, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston