It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dead_elvis

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by dead_elvis » 10 Mar 2019, 14:55

Vanity Fair (recent Amazon version):

I found the use of songs by Bob Dylan and Kate Bush and such in a period drama to be oddly distracting, but the truly painful anachronism was hearing Borodin's second string quartet (composed 1881) being played as music at a party that is clearly taking place in 1815.

Joking aside, we enjoyed this very much. Though I'm not sure I came to the conclusions I was supposed to... I mean, out of everything "vain" and "not worth having", I have a hard time begrudging Becky, a poor person looked down in a system that offers little prospect of an enjoyable life becoming obsessed with obtaining the things that might offer some independence. Maybe she shouldn't have been such a manipulative lying shit to get it, but being obsessed with obtaining money in that environment seems like a reasonably correct choice. Yeah, money's not worth having, as long as you have some.

It occasionally felt like the moral of the story was "they could have been happy, but they weren't because they didn't know their place".

As a kid my brother (and I to a much lesser extent) played wargames with painted napoleonic miniatures, so the battle scenes were extremely fascinating.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Mar 2019, 15:02

dead_elvis wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 14:55
Yeah, money's not worth having, as long as you have some.
As great as it is, and as much as I enjoyed it, I did the same wince at the end of Fargo when the cop is driving Steve Buscemi and she asks him something like "Why did you commit all those terrible crimes? For a little bit of money? Don't you know there are more important things than money?" And I think the first time I saw it I actually said out loud "Not if you don't have any".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Mar 2019, 16:46

Not being a fan of comedies in general, I find my wife's use of Parks and Rec for background comedy pleasant enough. I like the earnestness of it.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Mar 2019, 16:52

It's a really fantastic show. Particularly because they have a character who is so openly libertarian, and they never make him have some stupid revelation about how government is really a good thing after all; and while his libertarianism / hatred of government is often used as the occasion for jokes, it's never the punchline itself (i.e. the joke is never, "This guy thinks government is bad! Lololol what a moron!")

My only complaint is how mean everyone was to Jerry the whole time, because I love him SO MUCH
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Mar 2019, 22:58

Season 10 premier episode Trading Spaces
70's and Mid Century Modern
sploosh and sploosh
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » Yesterday, 11:05

I saw that one. I was fine with the mid century modern, but the 70s one was too literal. I didn't care for the frisbee wall at all, and the Burt Reynolds thing was visibly poorly crafted.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » Yesterday, 11:45

Kolohe wrote:I saw that one. I was fine with the mid century modern, but the 70s one was too literal. I didn't care for the frisbee wall at all, and the Burt Reynolds thing was visibly poorly crafted.
Concur, although the lineswoosh thing was pretty good. Could a stopped there.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR