It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by JD » 06 Nov 2018, 11:28

The new season of Ray Donovan is better than I'd expected.

Random observations:
Christ, but Bunchy is just dumb as crap. Well-meaning, but dumb as crap.

The staged "mutual homicide" scene would not pass the most casual of forensic investigations, unless you want to believe that Samoa shot Wall Street to death, then 12 hours later Wall Street came back to life and shot Samoa in the back of the head, while Samoa was walking around the apartment holding a gun for no particular reason, then Wall Street went back to where he'd originally been shot, lay down, and died for good. I can only assume that Ray figures that nobody is going to look into it too closely.

Speaking of people who are dumb as crap, that mayoral candidate is really just too dumb to be mayor. True justice would probably be Ray saying, "You know what, you're on your own with this now."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Nov 2018, 18:11

After all my swearing I'd never watch Tom Clancy's Jim Halpert on Amazon, I finally threw it on a couple days ago for some half-watching/background noise while I do other things. It's ... fine. Some of it stretches my suspension of disbelief pretty hard (they really don't have anyone else to send along on all this shit besides Jack Ryan? How did depressed drone dude even get into Syria, can you just take a plane there?) but I also haven't been paying close attention, nor am I its target audience, so who knows. I have to give John Krasinski credit for pulling off the role much better than I thought he could.

James Greer is the real hero of the whole series, obvs.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Nov 2018, 19:05

Also, I confess that every time somebody says "Aleppo" I think of that Libertarian Dad Jokes video and smirk.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 08 Nov 2018, 15:37

Hmm. Ending was fine. Not great. Greer is still totally the hero.

Now I'm trying Secret City on a friend's recommendation but I'm having a heck of a time keeping all the male characters straight. They're all pulled from the Glum Potato stable of actors.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Nov 2018, 19:31

Off Ellie's joy of hate, I watched Tiny House Big Living, the Expressive Tiny Art House episode.
Worth the price of admission. The Mother summed it up well "I am inconsolably proud".
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Nov 2018, 12:34

Warren wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 19:31
Off Ellie's joy of hate, I watched Tiny House Big Living, the Expressive Tiny Art House episode.
Worth the price of admission. The Mother summed it up well "I am inconsolably proud".
I'm so very glad I could share that ridiculousness with you <3

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Nov 2018, 12:41

First few episodes of Bodyguard are pretty good. The titular character is definitely not who I thought he'd be after the opening scene on the train.

Episode 3 has naked man ass, of which I heartily approve :mrgreen:

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Nov 2018, 19:10

Ellie wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 15:37
Now I'm trying Secret City on a friend's recommendation but I'm having a heck of a time keeping all the male characters straight. They're all pulled from the Glum Potato stable of actors.
FUCK SECRET CITY. They had a trans woman character and I was super excited (even though she was played by a cis male actor) because she seemed like she was just going to be part of the story like any other character. And then not only do they fucking kill her off two episodes in, but they misgender her and deadname her through her whole funeral and nobody says boo about it. :evil: