It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
the innominate one

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by the innominate one » 29 Sep 2017, 11:13

Kolohe wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 09:00
Cupp is frickin voltaire compared to most of the under 45 woman right wing media personality field. Like, there's her, and Ham, and most who regularly writes for reason. Otherwise you might as well be Tomi Lahren.
Sad!

It's almost like only having strawmen on to argue against liberals, except for the reason folk.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Sep 2017, 16:35

He was in the desert for the Air Force for a while. Dunno if he's back stateside yet.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 29 Sep 2017, 22:32

The latest episode of The Orville wasn't bad. Nice cameo from Liam Neeson.

It could be good show if they got rid of Seth McFarlane.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 29 Sep 2017, 23:25

Watching Versailles on Netflix. Period costume drama with excellent production values and ridiculous French drama.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 30 Sep 2017, 00:15

tr0g wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 23:25
Watching Versailles on Netflix. Period costume drama with excellent production values and ridiculous French drama.
I wondering if that was any good. What's the time period French Revolution or earlier?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 30 Sep 2017, 00:20

I can only assume every internet reviewer saw a different season 4 of Bojack than I did. I saw repeated references to "best season yet," which is baffling. Almost everything I liked about the first 3 seasons was greatly diminished if not gone. The stories for all the secondary characters felt like they were drawn from a hat instead of having an organic feel, there was way too little Bojack, and more than a few episodes had the stink of internet SJW infiltration. I'm watching a cartoon series about a depressive horse--I don't need constant and less than subtle lectures about the patriarchy.

Who knows what season 5 will be like, but I'll no longer have regular access to Netflix by then, and I can't say I'll feel deprived if I miss out.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 30 Sep 2017, 17:29

dbcooper wrote:The latest episode of The Orville wasn't bad. Nice cameo from Liam Neeson.

It could be good show if they got rid of Seth McFarlane.
I think it would be fine if there were someone to purge his humor from the show. He's fine as Generic Space Captain Guy.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Sep 2017, 17:33

I can't imagine being able to perceive anything else in any project infected with his fucking awful sense of humor.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Sep 2017, 19:45

The two-part premiere of Marvel's Inhumans was TERRIBLE. Here's a summary of my thoughts from the first ten minutes or so:

1. Wow, sure is weird seeing Ramsay Bolton playing a GOOD guy.
2. No, wait, apparently he's the bad guy after all.
3. Wait a minute, why the HELL am I supposed to think HE is the bad guy??!!

The gist of the story is, on the moon there's a secret city called Attilan populated entirely by Inhumans. Anyone who's seen Agents of SHIELD to this point knows that Inhumans are born like regular humans, but after exposure to "terrigenesis" crystals, their magic mutant superpowers come out. And in Attilan, we learn on the show, it's a fairly major milestone when a teenager or young adult is exposed to terrigenesis to find out what their Inhuman superpower is.

HOWEVER, if your Inhuman trait is ugly or useless, or if you end up with no Inhuman powers at all, then you are destined to spend your life as a lower-caste person "digging in the tunnels." And Ramsay Bolton (whose name on this show is Maximus) is one of those unfortunates who remained merely human after terrigensis, and avoided being sent to dig in the tunnels forever only because his brother is the king. Maximus is very popular with the lower-caste people, and keeps urging his brother the king to let Attilan residents (at least the lower-caste ones) go to Earth where they can have opportunities for a better life than digging in the mines all their lives, but the King and Queen refuse, so Maximus stages a coup and overthrows the royal family (who flee to Earth), yet we-the-viewers are supposed to side with the royals against Maximus, and want to preserve this horrible caste society (where we personally would be among the lower-caste miner-slaves)? What the fucking hell?

Another member of the royal family is a guy named Karnak who is a total dick over and above the whole "supports a caste system with lots of slaves" bit -- there's one scene where he's talking to a servant girl, and saying something like "if I went out with you, at first I would be entranced by your beauty, but then I would be annoyed by your co-dependency and obnoxious traits like how you chew with your mouth open, and I'd end up hating you." Which is a rude dickhead thing to say even to your legal and social equal who's allowed to talk back, but is exponentially MORE dickish if you're a member of a royal family saying this to a servant. Fuck you, Inhuman royal family. Fuck all y'all.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Oct 2017, 07:05

The Inhumans royal family is enough of a pain in the comics, where Maximus is a mind-controlling psychopath, Terrigenesis gives pretty much any Inhuman power (though you may end up a magic door), and the only people slaving away were the Alpha Primitives, who were mindless...and then they weren't, and then they were freed, and then the writers wished you'd forgotten them...

Because they're still a frickin' royal family without any democratic institutions, with the extra bonus of having gotten that way through eugenics. It's weird that they tried to pull them, of all characters, in.

Though, having Karnak stay high rank in this version of things is weird; his whole shtick is that he never was exposed to Terrigen gases; he's just a martial artist who's been trained to see the flaws in everyone and everything. (And he's the closest to interesting in the group.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 01 Oct 2017, 12:24

I liked that version of Karnak. His pessimism is appealing. Plus Ken Leung.

I thought it was better than it looked in the previews. The bad guy is always more interesting when he thinks he's doing the right thing, and this gives all the characters room to change, for better or worse. Agents of SHEILD suffered from characters only changing when the were revealed to be Hydra.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Oct 2017, 14:59

The last time I felt this level of disconnect (in a modern story) between "how I feel about certain characters" and "how the writer wants me to feel about certain characters" was when I was editing certain extra-shitty vanity novels. I recall one particular Twilight knockoff wish-fulfillment story with a protagonist I nicknamed Bitch Stole Mah Man -- her boyfriend or husband was a serial adulterer or something who flirted with every female he ever saw, yet instead of being mad at him, Bitch Stole Mah Man would physically assault the woman in question. Including at least one on-the-job waitress, IIRC. So I'm thinking "even without the vampires and other supernatural creatures in her vicinity, this woman is a complete menace who needs to be locked away from society for society's own good," yet the writer obviously wanted you to admire her for being some strong, non-doormat, take-no-shit type of person. (And everyone else in the story reacted that way, whereas in real life, any person behaving thusly would have people calling 911 on her dozens of times over. Even Radley Balko would say "Somebody call the police, quick!")

And apparently that writer got hired to write for Marvel TV, now.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 01 Oct 2017, 16:13

Painboy wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 00:15
tr0g wrote:
I wondering if that was any good. What's the time period French Revolution or earlier?
Way earlier. Louis the XIV is in his 20s and has just started construction on Versailles.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 01 Oct 2017, 16:52

tr0g wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 16:13
Painboy wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 00:15
tr0g wrote:
Way earlier. Louis the XIV is in his 20s and has just started construction on Versailles.
That's surprising as most French history on TV or film is generally either French Revolution/Napoleonic or the three musketeers. I'll definitely check it out.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 02 Oct 2017, 07:27

There is a UK series streaming now that comprises adaptations of Philip K. Dick short stories.

I assume that they only had the rights to the most minor stories, as the first two were rather dull and it seems that they are all early period (50's). The third episode had an excellent performance from Timothy Spall, and was quite affecting despite never resolving into anything convincing or satisfying. It was a rather effective rumination on mental illness, parenthood, and personal disappointment, despite never adding up to much. I guess that even a misguided screenwriter will still be able to convey Dick's humanist sympathy and (often) melancholy atmosphere.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Oct 2017, 19:30

I did not realize last night was the season premiers of the various Fox network cartoons until I saw the recordings on my DVR. Bob's Burgers is usually my favorite of the three, but last night's episode was weird -- apparently they had some contest seeking fan art, and the winners got to see their work in the actual show. So instead of their usual animation style, they changed to completely different styles every 15 to 30 seconds or so. Which I found so distracting that I only watched the first few minutes before giving up. (It's still on the DVR and I'll try watching again later, but for now ... ugh.)

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Oct 2017, 17:20

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Oct 2017, 17:40

Shouldn't Ace of Spades be the theme song for that?

Mindhunter starts tomorrow.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Oct 2017, 17:41

the innominate one wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 17:40
Shouldn't Ace of Spades be the theme song for that?
Too many $$$$.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Oct 2017, 03:57

Jennifer wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 19:30
I did not realize last night was the season premiers of the various Fox network cartoons until I saw the recordings on my DVR. Bob's Burgers is usually my favorite of the three, but last night's episode was weird -- apparently they had some contest seeking fan art, and the winners got to see their work in the actual show. So instead of their usual animation style, they changed to completely different styles every 15 to 30 seconds or so. Which I found so distracting that I only watched the first few minutes before giving up. (It's still on the DVR and I'll try watching again later, but for now ... ugh.)
Hmm. Haven't seen that, myself, but I'm randomly reminded of Our Robocop Remake, though I think that was done with different contributors for each scene. Probably more visually coherent, that way.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 13 Oct 2017, 21:20

Appreciated the rolling-under-the-enemy, bowling-for-bad-guys Kirk move in this week's Orville.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Oct 2017, 18:42

Mindhunter is good. Holt McCallany and Anna Torv good. Soundtrack is very nice.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Oct 2017, 08:19

There was an appalling clunky "metaphor" in episode 7, but it used the following song, which is such a jam:

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Oct 2017, 10:29

They should let one of their monsters do away with the Catholic/Quaker piece of shit. Very annoying character.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Oct 2017, 10:47

tr0g wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I'm half way through the second season. As costume dramas go, it has great costumes and "ridiculous French" is an excellent descriptor of the drama.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT