Heroes and zeroes of the animal kingdom

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Aresen

Re: Heroes and zeroes of the animal kingdom

Post by Aresen » 10 Jul 2019, 16:13

But a quick wash later, they realised that it was just a seagull, covered in curry and turmeric. Fittingly they called him Vinny, after a vindaloo.
I doubt anything could make a seagull edible.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Jul 2019, 18:21

Aresen wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 16:13
But a quick wash later, they realised that it was just a seagull, covered in curry and turmeric. Fittingly they called him Vinny, after a vindaloo.
Huger can.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Jul 2019, 19:36

Warren wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 18:21
Aresen wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 16:13
Huger can.
Huger must be one of those GoT characters that I know nothing about because I never watched the series.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 08 Aug 2019, 10:22

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Aug 2019, 14:32

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Aug 2019, 19:59

nicole wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 14:32
I AM THE LIZARD KING
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 03 Sep 2019, 10:30

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2019, 19:42

A squirrel built a leaf nest right outside my window. After a while, I thought it had left, but then the nest was enlarged and there were signs of activity, although I hadn't seen it in a while. Today I came home, and I saw motion within the nest. THEN A FUCKING POSSUM CRAWLED OUT. I am informed that possums are good, but that possum should be thanking its maker for gun control right now.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Sep 2019, 20:01

JD wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 19:42
A squirrel built a leaf nest right outside my window. After a while, I thought it had left, but then the nest was enlarged and there were signs of activity, although I hadn't seen it in a while. Today I came home, and I saw motion within the nest. THEN A FUCKING POSSUM CRAWLED OUT. I am informed that possums are good, but that possum should be thanking its maker for gun control right now.
Who told you possums are good? Possums are twenty pound rats with a bad disposition and poor grooming. If you can't shoot it, there are traps, and if all else fails there's gasoline and a match. Burning down the neighborhood is acceptable collateral damage compared to suffering a possum to live.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Sep 2019, 20:29

Warren wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 20:01
JD wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 19:42
Who told you possums are good? Possums are twenty pound rats with a bad disposition and poor grooming. If you can't shoot it, there are traps, and if all else fails there's gasoline and a match. Burning down the neighborhood is acceptable collateral damage compared to suffering a possum to live.
Possums are Awssums.

https://blog.nwf.org/2017/06/opossums-u ... e-disease/

I mean, unless you LIKE ticks. And rats.

And they're just so adorably losers. They're like if living in your mom's basement and wearing sweatpants all day and night were given life and a prehensile tail.

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2019, 21:21

Also, today at lunch I was heading towards a local place, which required me to pass by a kind of arcade with a lot of glass doors and windows. As I was approaching the lunch spot, a pigeon zoomed by me so close I had to duck, and I had just enough time to think "Where is he even going, it's pretty close in here-" before the pigeon went SPLAT into a glass door barely arm's reach from me. He wasn't hurt, though, he just flopped to the ground, then picked himself up and shook himself off.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 12 Sep 2019, 07:27

lunchstealer wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 20:29

Good song.

JD

Post by JD » 12 Sep 2019, 09:59

This morning Furiosa the cat really wanted to get into the room that has the view of the possum (we normally keep the door closed, because there are houseplants in there that Max loves to eat, but they make him sick), and I was telling her "The possum has gone to bed, there's nothing to see" but damned if it wasn't snoozing directly up against the window. Getting a better look at it in daylight, you could see that it's actually a very small young possum. I still don't think they're going to win any beauty contests, but apparently they eat snails and slugs and roaches and mice, and it's kind of cool to get to see it so close up.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Sep 2019, 15:35

JD wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 09:59
they eat snails and slugs and roaches and mice
They call that "eliminating the competition".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 16 Sep 2019, 14:28

I have actually grown rather fond of our little possum neighbor. She (I think it's a she) is regular in her habits, waking up around twilight, yawning, stretching, and grooming for a while before setting off for the night. She returns around sunrise and spends the day sleeping in her nest. And hey, at least she's not a magpie.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Sep 2019, 18:26

I actually kinda like our local magpies. But I haven't noticed any swooping behavior.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2019, 19:16

JD wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 14:28
I have actually grown rather fond of our little possum neighbor. She (I think it's a she) is regular in her habits, waking up around twilight, yawning, stretching, and grooming for a while before setting off for the night. She returns around sunrise and spends the day sleeping in her nest. And hey, at least she's not a magpie.
That's like saying "I've grown rather fond of the homeless bum that sleeps under our front porch."
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Sep 2019, 19:29

I was anti-possum, but after reading this thread and discovering they eat ticks, I am firmly Team Possum. Fucking ticks.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2019, 19:43

Ellie wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 19:29
I was anti-possum, but after reading this thread and discovering they eat ticks, I am firmly Team Possum. Fucking ticks.
They don't eat free roaming ticks. They eat the ticks they pick off rotting corpses.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 16 Sep 2019, 20:07

Ah, Warren, you are such a bigot. As wild animals go, they're quiet, non-smelly, not dangerous, not destructive, and rarely carry disease. They're kind of creepy-looking and enjoy eating garbage, but overall probably still preferable to a H&R commenter.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Sep 2019, 20:11

JD wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 20:07
Ah, Warren, you are such a bigot. As wild animals go, they're quiet, non-smelly, not dangerous, not destructive, and rarely carry disease. They're kind of creepy-looking and enjoy eating garbage, but overall probably still preferable to a H&R commenter.
Wait are we talking about me or the possum?

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2019, 20:26

lunchstealer wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 20:11
JD wrote:
Is there a difference?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Sep 2019, 20:27

Warren wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 20:26
lunchstealer wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 20:11
JD wrote:
Is there a difference?
Yeah, the 'non-smelly' part.

JD

Post by JD » 24 Sep 2019, 12:54

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Sep 2019, 13:47

JD wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 12:54
WALRUS DEFEATS RUSSIAN NAVY
Probably just Bolton on a bender after getting canned.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT