Heroes and zeroes of the animal kingdom

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jake

Re: Heroes and zeroes of the animal kingdom

Post by Jake » 29 Nov 2018, 02:17

Hugh Akston wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 02:04
This is me in every group picture.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 29 Nov 2018, 07:47

Hugh Akston wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 02:04
Knickers the cow

To put it into perspective, the seven-year-old is almost as tall as NBA star Michael Jordan and weighs more than a Mini Cooper car at about 1,400 kilograms.

That's double the weight of the average Holstein Friesian and half a metre taller — and could make more than 4,000 hamburger lovers happy.

But owner Geoff Pearson of Lake Preston in the state's south-west said Knickers was not destined for the barbecue anytime soon.

"He was too big to go into the export plant's chain," Mr Pearson said of the beast's near-miss at the abattoir.
Since he is no longer being sent to slaughter, Knickers has found a way to be useful around the farm helping to lead and coach other cattle.

"You'll put him in a paddock and all the other cattle seem to get attracted to him," Mr Pearson said.

"Whenever he wants to get up and start walking there's a trail of hundreds of cattle following him.
"The secret to life," Knickers whispered. "Is to be bigger than the machine they use to kill you."
Absolute unit.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 29 Nov 2018, 13:24

Could also go under Lite Laffs, but works here too. Must be watched with the sound on. That flat-faced gray cat in the cover photo is actually kind of terrifying in slow motion.

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Nov 2018, 18:41

I'm fascinated with that steer, if only because I haven't seen a cow taller than me since I was a child.

I mean, he's on the tall end for elk and moose, and he far outweighs even the biggest ones. He's bigger than some rhinoceri! He's humongous.

And apparently, usually kind to smaller cows...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 30 Nov 2018, 06:38

I'd hate to have to rope the son of a bitch.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Nov 2018, 13:23

Tuco wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 06:38
I'd hate to have to rope the son of a bitch.
Well he's a steer so, you could probably just hold the noose up and he'd amble over and dip his head into it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 03 Dec 2018, 13:29

Keas, the alpine parrots of New Zealand, are smart and inquisitive, and like to play with new things. Unfortunately those new things can include traffic cones, which is kind of bad both for traffic and keas.

So people set up jungle gyms to encourage the keas to play there, instead of playing in traffic.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Dec 2018, 00:51

How does an eel end up in the nose of a seal?

In the nearly 40 years that we have been working to monitor and protect endangered Hawaiian monk seals, we have only started seeing "eels in noses" in the last few years. Yet, our researchers have observed this phenomenon three or four times now. We don't know if this is just some strange statistical anomaly or if we will see more eels in seals in the future.

Hawaiian monk seals forage by shoving their mouth and nose into the crevasses of coral reefs, under rocks, or into the sand. They are looking for prey that likes to hide, like eels. This may be a case of an eel that was cornered trying to defend itself or escape. Alternatively, the seal could have swallowed the eel and regurgitated it so that the eel came out the wrong way. We might never know.

All of the seals that we have encountered in this slippery situation have been quickly caught by our response teams and the eel gently and successfully removed. The seals were released and haven't shown any issues from the incidents.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul