Heroes and zeroes of the animal kingdom

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Hugh Akston

Re: Heroes and zeroes of the animal kingdom

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Jul 2017, 14:45

Corvids continue to be awesome:
The new study was led by Mathias Osvath, a cognitive zoologist at Lund University in Sweden, and graduate student Can Kabadayi. The pair replicated a series of experiments previously used to test apes’ planning abilities, this time using ravens. The ravens were first taught to use a stone to knock a food pellet out of a puzzle box. The next day, without the box present, the birds were offered a choice between the stone tool and “distracter” objects—toys too light or bulky to use as tools. The box would then be brought back 15 minutes after the selection. Despite the delay, the ravens chose the correct tool nearly 80 percent of the time, and successfully used the tools they selected 86 percent of the time.

The birds performed almost as well when they had to give an experimenter a bottle cap in exchange for a piece of food. The birds almost always selected the bottle cap over distracters, even though they would have to wait 15 minutes to barter with it. The preference for soon-to-be-useful items persisted when the ravens had to pass up a smaller treat in favor of either the tool or the bartering token—and even when they could use each item only after a 17-hour delay.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Jul 2017, 14:54

When I see these things they are neat, but to me more neat because I think they suggest something about how human cognition may not be as integrated and super fancy as we think. Or, more to the point, the things we think are most impressive are probably not the hard parts.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Jul 2017, 15:13

Apparently corvids are better at the marshmallow test than most humans.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jul 2017, 11:13

Hero dog saves drowning fawn

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Aug 2017, 19:27

Today's lesson: Don't shoot at armored animals
An East Texas man was wounded after he fired a gun at an armadillo in his yard and the bullet ricocheted back to hit him in his face, the county sheriff said on Friday.

Cass County Sheriff Larry Rowe said the man, who was not identified, went outside his home in Marietta, southwest of Texarkana, at around 3 a.m. on Thursday morning. He spotted the armadillo on his property and opened fire.

“His wife was in the house. He went outside and took his .38 revolver and shot three times at the armadillo,” Rowe said.

The animal’s hard shell deflected at least one of three bullets, which then struck the man’s jaw, he said.

The man was airlifted to a nearby hospital, where his jaw was wired shut, according to Rowe.

The status of the animal is unknown.

“We didn’t find the armadillo,” the sheriff said.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 06 Aug 2017, 19:41

Why did he shoot the armadillo in the first place? It's a slow, dumb animal, it wasn't threatening anyone. That guy deserves the bullet in the jaw.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Aug 2017, 20:13

+1

Fuck that guy.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Aug 2017, 21:06

Rachel wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 19:41
Why did he shoot the armadillo in the first place? It's a slow, dumb animal, it wasn't threatening anyone. That guy deserves the bullet in the jaw.
Because their body temperatures are lower than most other mammals, they often carry leprosy, but handling a dead armadillo is the most common way people are exposed, so leaving it live is probably better than trying to kill them.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Aug 2017, 21:34

Fuck armadillos. They're vermin.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Aug 2017, 14:26

A Spanish village's attempt to invent a "cruelty-free" version of bull-running by replacing the animals with giant balls has ended in tragedy after two people were seriously injured.

One man was left in a coma after sustaining a serious head injury when he was crushed against metal barriers by the 300-kilogramme resin ball which chased runners around the town of Mataelpino, near Madrid during the event over the weekend.

Another man suffered three broken ribs and concussion.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08 ... l-running/

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Aug 2017, 15:03

Excellent. More of this.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Aug 2017, 15:54

They need to play the theme from Indiana Jones during the entire event.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Aug 2017, 18:15

nicole wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 14:26
A Spanish village's attempt to invent a "cruelty-free" version of bull-running by replacing the animals with giant balls has ended in tragedy after two people were seriously injured.

One man was left in a coma after sustaining a serious head injury when he was crushed against metal barriers by the 300-kilogramme resin ball which chased runners around the town of Mataelpino, near Madrid during the event over the weekend.

Another man suffered three broken ribs and concussion.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08 ... l-running/
Running of the bulls usually results in a few people getting hospitalized. More if there's a pileup in a narrow spot.

I mean, let's be blunt, if you're rolling a massive, solid ball down the street, you're saying you want the risk of serious injury that the bulls provide. Otherwise, you'd do something less dangerous, like this:

I approve of how they're looking at making things safer in the event, as opposed to freaking out and cancelling it. That's basically what they'd done for decades with the actual bull-running. Presumably, they'll get it to an acceptable level of risk and have fun without endangering any bovines.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Aug 2017, 18:42

Yeah, that's what I'd figure also. It really takes away from the event if it's Nerf or Balloons. "Oh nooooo, I'm having to ruuuun! *smooosh* Hahahaha!"

They had a kids version earlier in the day, and then they have the dangerous version.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Aug 2017, 20:29

Also, one day, I'm going to have to find a place where I can do that inflatable-ball thing, because it does look like fun.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Sep 2017, 11:34

It does look fun. I'm unjustifiably happy they finally figured out the perfect summer use for their ski slope.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2017, 17:51

I put a pound of frozen broccoli in the microwave for five minutes. When I took it out, there was a pale spider crawling around on top. :o

I scooped it up on a spoon and carried it out to the porch. I tried to shake it off the spoon but it wouldn't get off. It started swinging around on a line of spiderweb. So I dropped the spoon because I was freaking out it would swing onto me, and went back inside. I think I killed it when I dropped the spoon. I kind of feel bad if it survived five minutes in the microwave and then I smushed it.

I'm afraid to eat the broccoli, for wholly undefinable reasons.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Oct 2017, 17:58

Because it spawns spiders, duh. Who would blame you?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2017, 18:12

If spiders are developing an immunity to microwave rays, humanity just might be doomed.

Ellie, you didn't notice if the spider had opposable thumbs, did you?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Oct 2017, 18:28

If you had let the spider bite you, you'd be Spider-Woman right now. It would probably have cured your diabetes, too.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Oct 2017, 20:55

the innominate one wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 18:28
If you had let the spider bite you, you'd be Spider-Woman right now. It would probably have cured your diabetes, too.
Thaler says there's a nudge for that. Spiders at eye level or something.