Heroes and zeroes of the animal kingdom

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Heroes and zeroes of the animal kingdom

Post by Warren » 26 Feb 2016, 12:00

Hugh Akston wrote:Red Pandas: the possibly less lame cousin to Giant Pandas?
At least they'll eat stuff with nutritional value.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 26 Feb 2016, 12:04

Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Red Pandas: the possibly less lame cousin to Giant Pandas?
At least they'll eat stuff with nutritional value.
Exactly
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Feb 2016, 12:19

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
the innominate one wrote:Would you find red pandas so great if they were named Asian raccoons? Phylogenetically, that's basically what they are.
Are they considered vermin?
Probably not, they're endangered.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Feb 2016, 12:20

the innominate one wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
the innominate one wrote:Would you find red pandas so great if they were named Asian raccoons? Phylogenetically, that's basically what they are.
Are they considered vermin?
Probably not, they're endangered.
Yeah, so's my... nevermind
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 26 Feb 2016, 12:49

Absolutely. Raccoons are cool. Not otter cool, but undeniably cool. So then it's just a matter of ordering the raccoons. In my book, fluffy redhead raccoon is best raccoon.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 26 Feb 2016, 17:34

lunchstealer wrote:
Absolutely. Raccoons are cool. Not otter cool, but undeniably cool. So then it's just a matter of ordering the raccoons. In my book, fluffy redhead raccoon is best raccoon.
Alternately, name raccoons what they are: trash pandas.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 26 Feb 2016, 17:53

^notwrong

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 26 Feb 2016, 18:57

Sandy wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Or name pandas what they are. Stupid raccoons. Raccoons eat things of nutritional value and last time I checked were not endangered because of their refusal to eat anything of nutritional value.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Feb 2016, 19:28

And, raccoons don't refuse to fuck. Raccoons are not prudes. Pandas: prudish raccoons.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 26 Feb 2016, 19:42

the innominate one wrote:And, raccoons don't refuse to fuck. Raccoons are not prudes. Pandas: prudish raccoons.
Also an excellent name.

I would also like to state for the record, I leave San Diego on Tuesday, and have managed to avoid going to the zoo and seeing the pandas. (because everyone tells me that I Have To Go To The Zoo and SEE THE PANDAS!!!")

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 26 Feb 2016, 21:39

Rachel wrote:
Sandy wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Or name pandas what they are. Stupid raccoons. Raccoons eat things of nutritional value and last time I checked were not endangered because of their refusal to eat anything of nutritional value.
Or fuck.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Feb 2016, 21:45

Little late there, 6.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 26 Feb 2016, 22:08

the innominate one wrote:And, raccoons don't refuse to fuck. Raccoons are not prudes. Pandas: prudish raccoons.
Wait, super restrictive diet and not really into sex? Hipster Raccoons.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Feb 2016, 23:40

Apparently the French term for raccoon is washing rat.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Feb 2016, 23:43

the innominate one wrote:Apparently the French term for raccoon is washing rat.
I want to say that's a translation from some one of the Native American languages, either that or 'wash bear'. May be lies.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Mar 2016, 00:42

the innominate one wrote:Apparently the French term for raccoon is washing rat.
Yeah, that's right. Although, apparently raton was chosen as it sounded like the anglicised raccoon (from Algonguin perhaps) .
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Mar 2016, 01:14

"Asian red racoon"? Yup. Though I have heard raccoons called "trash pandas", which amuses.

Giant Pandas are not actually related to raccoons, however. They're just Fail Bears.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Mar 2016, 01:21

Eric the .5b wrote:
"Asian red racoon"? Yup. Though I have heard raccoons called "trash pandas", which amuses.

Giant Pandas are not actually related to raccoons, however. They're just Fail Bears.
Yeah, but it would have been much more entertaining to see Leonardo DiCaprio brutally attacked by a Giant Panda.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Mar 2016, 12:02

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:

Yeah, but it would have been much more entertaining to see Leonardo DiCaprio brutally attacked by a Giant Panda.
Or a swarm of trashpandas.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 01 Mar 2016, 13:28

lunchstealer wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:

Raccoons, much like all wild animals and especially when rabid, are vicious little fuckers when they have a mind to be. They will kill cats and have been known to take out dogs up to pit bull size. Getting jumped by a gaze of trashpandas would not be a joke.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Mar 2016, 13:30

tr0g wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:

Raccoons, much like all wild animals and especially when rabid, are vicious little fuckers when they have a mind to be. They will kill cats and have been known to take out dogs up to pit bull size. Getting jumped by a gaze of trashpandas would not be a joke.
New collective noun!
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 01 Mar 2016, 13:31

Also,
the infallible Wikipedia wrote:Raccoons are noted for their intelligence, with studies showing that they are able to remember the solution to tasks for up to three years.
Which makes them smarter than some of my coworkers.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Apr 2016, 17:36

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Apr 2016, 17:39

Worst. Apex predator. Ever.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Apr 2016, 10:48

Inky the octopus makes a break for it

Staff believe that in the middle of the night, while the aquarium was deserted, Inky clambered to the top of his cage, down the side of the tank and travelled across the floor of the aquarium.
One theory is that Inky slid across the aquarium floor – a journey of three or four metres – and then, sensing freedom was at hand, into a drainpipe that lead directly to the sea. Another possible escape route could have involved Inky squeezing into an open pipe at the top of his tank, which led under the floor to the drain.
“When we came in the next morning and his tank was empty, I was really surprised,” said Yarrell, who has not launched a search for Inky.

“The staff and I have been pretty sad. But then, this is Inky, and he’s always been a bit of a surprise octopus.”
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul