Heroes and zeroes of the animal kingdom

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Heroes and zeroes of the animal kingdom

Post by Ellie » 19 Feb 2013, 09:35

I just saw a friend on Facebook ranting against iguanas, which surprised me (especially as she seems like one of those "all creatures great and small" hippie-type people).

Aside from the obvious (kittens kittens kittens kittens kittens), what animals do you like or hate?

I like cheetah cubs! And nurse sharks. I don't like any insects. Or guinea pigs. Or rats (thanks a lot, too-young-reading-attempt of 1984, for that phobia). I don't think monkeys are funny or cute. I like baby alligators, though!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Re: Heroes and zeroes of the animal kingdom

Post by Warren » 19 Feb 2013, 09:45

I like watching the birds. I don't go "birding". But I put up a feeder, and if an owl, hawk, or other bird that doesn't eat seed happens by, I'll take notice.

I don't like humans, dirty, foul creatures they are.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 19 Feb 2013, 09:48

Bugs that "work" are pretty cool - ants, bees, spiders. I like watching them go about their duties, whether that is scouting, foraging, or building webs.

I am also not usually a primate fan. Monkeys are often either creepy or scary, and chimps are terrifying.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 19 Feb 2013, 10:10

Hippos are obviously the best mammals.

I don't like gannets - they wet their nests. Chickens are entertaining to watch.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Feb 2013, 10:36

PUPPIES!

BIG CATS! ESPECIALLY THEIR KITTENS! !!
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 19 Feb 2013, 11:10

Predators. I'm a big fan of that which enforces the natural order.

While I appreciate bugs on a cerebral level, I don't want them around me. I especially don't want them on me. (Reason #311,425 why I don't go camping)

And slugs are just gross. Who thought a slimy disembodied gray tongue with antenna was a good idea, anyway? Was no market research at all done?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Feb 2013, 11:19

Hawks and Falcons are awesome. You can't argue with a 200 mph divebomb.

Agree slugs are just gross. Sea cucumbers are in that same mode. Don't even get me started on parasitic nasty worms.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 19 Feb 2013, 11:23

I like animals that can thrive among humans while remaining obnoxious and indifferent towards humanity: coyotes, raccoons, ravens, etc. I respect their resilience.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Feb 2013, 11:32

Andrew wrote:I like animals that can thrive among humans while remaining obnoxious and indifferent towards humanity: coyotes, raccoons, ravens, etc. I respect their resilience.
Cockroaches?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Feb 2013, 11:34

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Andrew wrote:I like animals that can thrive among humans while remaining obnoxious and indifferent towards humanity: coyotes, raccoons, ravens, etc. I respect their resilience.
Cockroaches?
Politicians?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Feb 2013, 11:40

Hugh Akston wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Cockroaches?
Politicians?
That's unfair to cockroaches, at least the provide a useful purpose.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Feb 2013, 11:42

I like mollusks. Cephalopods in particular are cool looking and very clever hunters and breeders.

On the chordate side I prefer monotremes because they reject the mammalian patriarchy of lactating out of nipples. ALSO YOU GUYS PLATYPI HAVE ELECTROLOCATION AND THE MALES ARE VENOMOUS.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Feb 2013, 11:58

Mosquitoes are the guidos of the animal kingdom, but kind of worse - more like guidos using levels of Axe that are actually toxic to the public at large.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 19 Feb 2013, 11:58

Hugh Akston wrote:I like mollusks. Cephalopods in particular are cool looking and very clever hunters and breeders.

On the chordate side I prefer monotremes because they reject the mammalian patriarchy of lactating out of nipples. ALSO YOU GUYS PLATYPI HAVE ELECTROLOCATION AND THE MALES ARE VENOMOUS.
The platypus is just a ridiculous looking animal for starters. Add in the fact the more you learn about them, the weirder they get, and you really do have living proof God does drugs. Electrolocation was the kicker for me.

Yes, the platypus is a definite winner.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Feb 2013, 12:01

Hugh Akston wrote:I like mollusks.
Me too! They're delicious.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake » 19 Feb 2013, 12:41

Hugh Akston wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Cockroaches?
Politicians?
Hey! I... uhh... no comment.
"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Feb 2013, 13:32

I liked crickets until I started having to trudge through the Texas mass cricket kills to get into the grocery store. Seriously, when Jimeny's population gets so out of control that you're in danger of slipping on the squished carcases in the parking lot, NOT OK.

I am OK with spiders until they get on me, or directly above me. A spider who fails to vacate the shower prior to my using it tends to get a one-way trip down the drain.

Second the fear of great apes. Those sonsabitches may be gentle most of the time, but if they freak out they'll tear your arms off. Best to leave them in the jungles where they can do their thing on their own.

I like snakes in the wild, but find people who keep snakes as pets tiresome. I suppose if you caught it yourself in the wild, and keep it in a terrarium, maybe that's OK. But getting a python to keep as a pet just seems like an indication that you took hair-band videos too seriously.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Feb 2013, 13:47

I think the 17-year brood X Cicadas are pretty cool. They don't really cause trouble, except to the small branches of trees, they don't climb in the house, just are really loud, but they shut up at night, unlike the Spring Peepers.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 19 Feb 2013, 13:50

I HATE MONKEY!!! I wish i could punch a gorilla in the face. I also hate whales, horses, and dolphins. I love crocodiles, all felines, and terrapins. Rabbits and wolves are pretty ok. I would murder most birds
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Feb 2013, 13:56

Gorillas are awesome!

Monkeys ... less so.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Feb 2013, 14:00

I also admire Siberian Tigers. Most animals who live in snowy climates will adopt a white or mostly white coat for camouflage. Tigers stick with the Orange and black stripes because fuck you.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Feb 2013, 14:02

Hugh Akston wrote:I also admire Siberian Tigers. Most animals who live in snowy climates will adopt a white or mostly white coat for camouflage. Tigers stick with the Orange and black stripes because fuck you.
When you're the second biggest predator on land (after the polar bear, I think) and damn fast and quiet, you can afford to blow off the trivial shit like camouflage.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 19 Feb 2013, 15:02

thoreau wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:I also admire Siberian Tigers. Most animals who live in snowy climates will adopt a white or mostly white coat for camouflage. Tigers stick with the Orange and black stripes because fuck you.
When you're the second biggest predator on land (after the polar bear, I think) and damn fast and quiet, you can afford to blow off the trivial shit like camouflage.
Years ago, I was watching a show on Siberian tigers. Apparently, if the tigers pick up on the fact you're tracking them, they will do a loop through the forest and come up behind you. The Russian biologist was all "And that's when you're done for the day and it's time to go back to camp. Quickly."

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 19 Feb 2013, 15:29

Warren wrote: I don't like humans, dirty, foul creatures they are.
This from Mr. Save The Humans? ;)
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Feb 2013, 16:16

Whales are delicious.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex