Heroes and zeroes of the animal kingdom

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Heroes and zeroes of the animal kingdom

Post by JD »

thoreau wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 15:14 A fight between a bobcat and a rattlesnake in the nearby mountains, captured on camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNKOr01VRL8
That was pretty intense. Not quite the ending I expected, either!

Fury was clearly rooting for TEAM BOBCAT.
team_bobcat.jpg
team_bobcat.jpg (123.26 KiB) Viewed 333 times
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Warren

Post by Warren »

My money's on the pussy.
*WTFV*
Ayup. I like the way she rubs her scent on the battleground. An olfactory sign that reads: Bobcat Rulz Bitches!
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

I won't/can't watch the video because Rattlesnake, but I'm on Team Bobcat, obvs.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Nothing but respect for my president.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Kill a snake, eat that snake, roll around in the sand or whatever... That's a good morning, right there.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I just hope the cat knew well enough to not eat the venom glands.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The diabolical ironclad beetle can withstand compression of more than 39,000 times its own weight.
As is often the case for flightless beetles, the species’ elytra — a protective case that normally sheaths wings — had strengthened and toughened over time. Up close , scientists realized this cover also benefited from special, jigsaw-like bindings and a layered architecture.

When compressed, they found the structure fractured slowly instead of snapping all at once.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
JD

Post by JD »

Hugh Akston wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 16:53 The diabolical ironclad beetle can withstand compression of more than 39,000 times its own weight.
As is often the case for flightless beetles, the species’ elytra — a protective case that normally sheaths wings — had strengthened and toughened over time. Up close , scientists realized this cover also benefited from special, jigsaw-like bindings and a layered architecture.

When compressed, they found the structure fractured slowly instead of snapping all at once.
I find it kind of amusing and kind of creepy that their research apparently included collecting a whole bunch of bugs and then squishing them.
“This beetle is super tough,” said Purdue University civil engineer Pablo Zavattieri, who was among a group of researchers that ran over the insect with a car as part of a new study.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JD wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 16:58
Hugh Akston wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 16:53 The diabolical ironclad beetle can withstand compression of more than 39,000 times its own weight.

I find it kind of amusing and kind of creepy that their research apparently included collecting a whole bunch of bugs and then squishing them.
“This beetle is super tough,” said Purdue University civil engineer Pablo Zavattieri, who was among a group of researchers that ran over the insect with a car as part of a new study.
Well the research is sponsored by the USAF, so I imagine that wanton killing is a standard clause in the grant agreement.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Well, the beetles turned out to have compounds made of carbon and hydrogen, so it became necessary to engage in some pre-emptive democracy-building.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

The nazis made super tough beetles, so you can’t be too careful.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex