Ooh, pretty! Graphic design

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Eric the .5b

Re: Ooh, pretty! Graphic design

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Feb 2014, 11:25

Futura is pleasing as a header font. Very clean, very retro book-cover vibe. Pity there's no proper web version, yet. (Field Notes cheats on their site by hoping people have the font installed.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 10 Feb 2014, 11:49

Eric the .5b wrote:Futura is pleasing as a header font. Very clean, very retro book-cover vibe. Pity there's no proper web version, yet. (Field Notes cheats on their site by hoping people have the font installed.)
You should use Exocet instead.

*ducks*
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Feb 2014, 16:03

tr0g wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:Futura is pleasing as a header font. Very clean, very retro book-cover vibe. Pity there's no proper web version, yet. (Field Notes cheats on their site by hoping people have the font installed.)

*ducks*
I always thought that font looked a bit Stark.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Feb 2014, 18:50

tr0g wrote:

*ducks*
When it comes to Exocet, I'm with Noah, here:

ETA: There's a sans serif version: http://www.virusfonts.com/fonts/patriot#characters
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Feb 2014, 19:55

futura and franklin gothic are both beautiful fonts, though neither does as great in their heavier weights.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 10 Feb 2014, 20:00

dhex wrote:futura and franklin gothic are both beautiful fonts, though neither does as great in their heavier weights.
I use Franklin Gothic for my e-mails. I love it.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 18 Jun 2014, 07:44

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Jun 2014, 07:49

dbcooper wrote:Comic Sans for Cancer

http://www.comicsanscancer.com/#home
We all eagerly await dhex's entry.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 18 Jun 2014, 09:38

Ayn_Randian wrote:
dhex wrote:futura and franklin gothic are both beautiful fonts, though neither does as great in their heavier weights.
I use Franklin Gothic for my e-mails. I love it.
I envy you people not locked into corporate style manuals. I get Colibri. Why? Because brand identity, that's why.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Jun 2014, 09:40

there are worse things than calibri. better things too.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 18 Jun 2014, 10:19

dhex wrote:there are worse things than calibri. better things too.
True dat. It's in that sweet spot where it's different enough to be somewhat distinctive but not so different anyone can get upset about it.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Jun 2014, 11:22

We are a calibri shop as well.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Jun 2014, 12:49

Calibri is OK. I'm still fond of the old beginning-typography-geek typefaces - Helvetica, Futura, etc.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Jul 2014, 13:42

I'm trying to make a pretty bulletin cover for the reading where Jacob wrestles God. Apparently it's not possible to take a wrestling photo that doesn't look super duper gay. I am happy and sad at the same time.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 30 Jul 2014, 14:37

Ellie wrote:I'm trying to make a pretty bulletin cover for the reading where Jacob wrestles God. Apparently it's not possible to take a wrestling photo that doesn't look super duper gay. I am happy and sad at the same time.
I googled "Jesus wrestling" in order to find a clever picture to follow up your post, but there are just too many gems to pick only one...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Jul 2014, 14:38

Ellie wrote:I'm trying to make a pretty bulletin cover for the reading where Jacob wrestles God. Apparently it's not possible to take a wrestling photo that doesn't look super duper gay. I am happy and sad at the same time.
I'm sure Stevo could Photoshop something that had God arm wrestling some biblical character.

dhex

Post by dhex » 30 Jul 2014, 14:44

do like a big ole prize fight bulletin like Jacob "The Hipster Gripster" v. God "The Father"

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jul 2014, 15:02

Ellie wrote:I'm trying to make a pretty bulletin cover for the reading where Jacob wrestles God. Apparently it's not possible to take a wrestling photo that doesn't look super duper gay.
Of course it is. You just have to dispense with the patriarchy propaganda that god is a man.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 30 Jul 2014, 15:42

This guy's drinking, smoking cigatettes, booting heroin, doing coke, gambling, dabbling in the occult, plotting an invasion of Europe, and playing with firearms, all while fighting off a choke hold from the jeez...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 30 Jul 2014, 16:30

Taktix® wrote:
I googled "Jesus wrestling" in order to find a clever picture to follow up your post, but there are just too many gems to pick only one...
All I got was a lot of Mexicans in masks...
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Jul 2014, 16:54

Warren wrote:
Ellie wrote:I'm trying to make a pretty bulletin cover for the reading where Jacob wrestles God. Apparently it's not possible to take a wrestling photo that doesn't look super duper gay.
Of course it is. You just have to dispense with the patriarchy propaganda that god is a man.
He's a canon dude in the story, though. The Bible says Jacob wrestled with "a man" and all. If I erase God's preferred gender identity in this case, aren't I capitulating to the patriarchy after all?
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Jul 2014, 17:08

God brought forth all life. That suggests to me that God is female-bodied. But canon says that God's preferred gender identity is male. So it would be transphobic to gender God as female.

I can haz SJW points?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jul 2014, 17:08

Ellie wrote:
Warren wrote:
He's a canon dude in the story, though. The Bible says Jacob wrestled with "a man" and all. If I erase God's preferred gender identity in this case, aren't I capitulating to the patriarchy after all?
How's that? You can have gay god or babe god, take your pick.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Feb 2015, 14:30

for dhex:

https://ricochet.com/obama-deploys-new- ... feat-isis/
This doesn’t offend me as an American; it offends me as a graphic designer. That is a rough-looking pile of clip art. But if the seven fonts and eight colors prove insufficient to scare away the jihadists, State also has a blog post outlining their strategy to defeat Islamist terror solve violent extremism...
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Feb 2015, 18:22

So what you're saying is, the solution to violent extremism is extreme violetism?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT