Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dead_elvis

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by dead_elvis »

The smart ass in me wants to unhelpfully say that whatever shade of wood the floor is, the wood trim should be painted with eight layers of white, at least according to everyone who lived in houses before us.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I think overall people make too much out of "matching" woods in a house. Like with cabinets and furniture and floors. That said, I've always preferred painted trim and yes I do think white or off white is pretty good in most cases.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

dead_elvis wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 18:46
The smart ass in me wants to unhelpfully say that whatever shade of wood the floor is, the wood trim should be painted with eight layers of white, at least according to everyone who lived in houses before us.
They must've lived in my house too!
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Internal debate: I never did completely unpack/move in when Jeff and I relocated here in 2016 -- and realistically I never will in this particular apartment for certain unavoidable reasons: One, this being "the hood," complete with high crime rates and ample warnings from neighbors about people "casing" homes for burglary potential, we don't want our place looking rich enough to burgle, especially not anything visible from outside looking through an open door or window. Two, even if we didn't need to "dress down" for crime-avoidance reasons, there are still many decorative things I cannot unpack and put on display here due to things inherent to the layout -- short version, Jeff and I amassed quite a collection of wall-hanging art and decorations, when we lived in Connecticut in a 1910s apartment building with deep narrow windows, and up to half the wall space was never in direct sunlight. But our current modern (late 1990s/early 2000s) apartment, whose outer walls all have giant windows comprising more than half a given room's wall, has hardly any wall space that never gets hit by the sun, so much of our wall decor can't be displayed here lest it fade from sun damage. (Also, on the floor/in the corner of my office room, right now and ever since I moved here, there are three large 18-gallon plastic storage tubs holding a collection of Swarovski figures plus their wood and glass display case. If I actually had the collection set up on display, the case and all of its contents would occupy considerably less than one cubic foot of space -- but all those fragile things in their anti-breakage wrappings fill far more volume. And in this particular apartment's layout, there is absolutely no "clearly visible, but low-traffic" area where I could safely set up such a super-fragile thing without it being jostled.)

Point is, it's unavoidable that some of my current floor space is occupied by packed decorative items which would occupy little-to-no space if they were actually unpacked and on display. However, over the past few days I've been going through and unpacking at least SOME of those boxes -- compared to roughly a week ago, I'd estimate I've "reclaimed" up to 15 cubic feet in all: as in, space once occupied by a full box or tub is now empty, their former contents now hanging on walls somewhere, and the boxes / tubs moved to the storage closet. All of this "reclaimed" space is basically "stuff that was on display in Virginia, but had been packed away since."

But there is one fairly big box in our bedroom comprising a fragile and fairly sizable thing which we haven't "unpacked" since we lived in Connecticut: a freestanding floor model "mist bowl" similar to this one: fill it with tap water, turn it on, and a little hypersonic thing turns the water into white mist, while some color-changing LED lights turn that mist different colors. Jeff and I thought it was a cool decoration when we lived in an apartment with floor space to spare, AND a dry climate where most of the time we had to deliberately add extra humidity to the air anyway. But neither has been the case for us since we left Connecticut, and at this point I have not actually used that mist bowl since ... likely sometime early in 2012, my last winter months in Connecticut. I haven't even had it set up (though empty and turned off) since I packed it up to leave Connecticut in summer of 2012.

Which is why I'm now debating: leave the box alone, or open it and add the mist bowl to the thrift-store donation box? That box also contains some extra decorative couch cushions currently used as padding for the bowl, so if I get rid of the bowl and its stand I can put those cushions back into actual use AND break down and put away another fairly large cardboard moving box. And on the off chance we again live in a place where would want a decorative mist bowl, it would be super-easy to obtain one.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jennifer wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 18:27
Which is why I'm now debating: leave the box alone, or open it and add the mist bowl to the thrift-store donation box? That box also contains some extra decorative couch cushions currently used as padding for the bowl, so if I get rid of the bowl and its stand I can put those cushions back into actual use AND break down and put away another fairly large cardboard moving box. And on the off chance we again live in a place where would want a decorative mist bowl, it would be super-easy to obtain one.
Pfft. Turns out not to matter: I broached the idea of discarding the mist bowl, but Jeff wants to keep it.

[Sigh] Healthy marriages are built upon compromise, or so they say.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Ahem.
Jennifer wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 15:37
I know Californians are advised to have "earthquake kits" in case The Big One hits, just as Midwesterners should have tornado supplies and coastal denizens should have hurricane supplies and so on. But tiny houses don't leave a hell of a lot of space for surplus storage, and the idea "It doesn't matter if I can't cook or store much food on-site, because I 'outsource' my food needs via daily grocery runs or eating in a restaurant" doesn't work if those businesses are all shut down for lack of power.
I did not think to list "worldwide pandemic and business shutdown" as another possible reason tiny-house dwellers might have problems with their lack of at-home storage space and cooking ability, but ... yikes. I wonder how well the tiny home market will retain its popularity after the covid-19 economy turns back to the normal one?

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:44
Ahem.
Jennifer wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 15:37
I know Californians are advised to have "earthquake kits" in case The Big One hits, just as Midwesterners should have tornado supplies and coastal denizens should have hurricane supplies and so on. But tiny houses don't leave a hell of a lot of space for surplus storage, and the idea "It doesn't matter if I can't cook or store much food on-site, because I 'outsource' my food needs via daily grocery runs or eating in a restaurant" doesn't work if those businesses are all shut down for lack of power.
I did not think to list "worldwide pandemic and business shutdown" as another possible reason tiny-house dwellers might have problems with their lack of at-home storage space and cooking ability, but ... yikes. I wonder how well the tiny home market will retain its popularity after the covid-19 economy turns back to the normal one?
I'm curious about those van life people, too. Though, I suppose some of them could have gotten trailers and stuffed them full of non-perishables, if they thought of it in time.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Highway

Post by Highway »

Ceiling fixture in the pantry replaced! The old one was flickering (probably a loose connection, cause it did it with multiple bulbs), so got a surface mount LED fixture. Now my wife wants to replace more.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 12:52
Ceiling fixture in the pantry replaced! The old one was flickering (probably a loose connection, cause it did it with multiple bulbs), so got a surface mount LED fixture. Now my wife wants to replace more.
Make her happy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I finally calibrated the double KitchenAid oven I knew to be not behaving well. It's dramatically shitty in both ovens. Does not hit peak temperature and does not maintain within 30 degrees of specified temperatures. Set for 400, you get 375 when it says 400, then it drops to like 325 before coming back up. Looking more and more like I'll wind up doing full kitchen remodel at some point not just the cooktop.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jeff and I just got back from Home Depot; first store visit wherein we could not walk directly inside. They only allowed a certain number of people in at a time, while everyone else waited in line outside, six feet apart. (Fortunately, at that time of day -- three in the afternoon -- the line was in the shade; it's almost 90 degrees here today, so I don't think I could've lasted long waiting in the sun.)

Random observation: some people are a LOT better than others, in respecting the "don't get closer than six feet to any strangers" rule. At this point I can only hope certain clueless dipshits who passed within a foot of me were not infected, or at least did not infect me.

Jeff and I went there because we have a patio-balcony which we literally never use, for two reasons: one, it's positioned to get direct unshaded sunlight for the majority of the afternoon hours; and two, it's completely unscreened and a veritable bugtopia (especially for certain very large and lazy bees whom I suspect have their hive somewhere on the roof of my very building). But in light of recent events we would like to have a usable balcony after all, so we bought outdoor area rugs (to cover the deck/flooring, or rather the spaces between the boards), some flexible non-metal insect screening (in black, which hopefully will provide sun-reduction effects as well), and an industrial staple gun, cutting tools and related paraphernalia to fit and affix our new patio accessories.

However, Jeff isn't going to install it until later this evening, after the sun gets low enough to leave our balcony alone for the day.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JasonL wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 16:06
I finally calibrated the double KitchenAid oven I knew to be not behaving well. It's dramatically shitty in both ovens. Does not hit peak temperature and does not maintain within 30 degrees of specified temperatures. Set for 400, you get 375 when it says 400, then it drops to like 325 before coming back up. Looking more and more like I'll wind up doing full kitchen remodel at some point not just the cooktop.
Is it a model where you can actually re-calibrate the thermostat to match the controls (or vice versa)?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
You need to post pics of your kitchen
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway »

JasonL wrote:
That's horrible. I would imagine that it's just unusable.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 17:29
JasonL wrote:
That's horrible. I would imagine that it's just unusable.
presumably you can use it for applications up to maybe roasting vegetables by cranking it to 500, but only if you've been able to carefully map all the apparent temps.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL