Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Ellie » 13 Sep 2019, 14:23

My latest tiny house viewing binge is Tiny House Nation. The two hosts (with a STRONG off-brand American Pickers vibe) visit wannabe tiny house owners and their builders, helping solve problems that could not be more staged if they were taking place on an actual stage. Some of the storage solutions they come up with are pretty ingenious, and I did like one early-on episode where they brought all the boxes of the couples' crap in while the house was still being built to show them how limited the space actually was. But mostly it's just every other tiny house show you've ever seen, hosted by a couple white guys who aren't nearly as funny as they think they are.

There are only 7 episodes on Netflix so I guess it didn't last long before it got cancelled :lol:
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Sep 2019, 14:29

I don't get tiny houses at all. I mean, basically we're talking about a Home Depot shed with plumbing and electricity, right?

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Sep 2019, 16:16

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 14:29
I don't get tiny houses at all. I mean, basically we're talking about a Home Depot shed with plumbing and electricity, right?
Not exactly. More like a mobile home that trades off weight and space efficiency for adorrrable.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Sep 2019, 21:23

Warren wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 16:16
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 14:29
Not exactly. More like a mobile home that trades off weight and space efficiency for adorrrable.
Adorrrrable and durability, as part of the weight is going into stuff like real cabinetry and construction materials instead of super-light but comparatively flimsy building materials.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Sep 2019, 11:43

I was up with the baby a bit last night and ended up down another YouTube rabbit hole of people who have tricked out their vans for camping or full-time living.

a. I must not be enough of a dog lover because you couldn't pay me enough* to bring a pet on that setup, but lots and lots of "vandwellers" have dogs.

b. Soooooooo many white people dreads

* A figure of speech, obviously, as y'all know I'll do anything for the right price, and that the right price is quite affordable

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Sep 2019, 23:30

Have you guys ever seen what looks like two main electrical panels for a single house? I’ve seen a sub where only the main box has a main breaker, but my house has 2 boxes side by side both with main breakers.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Sep 2019, 00:08

JasonL wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 23:30
Have you guys ever seen what looks like two main electrical panels for a single house? I’ve seen a sub where only the main box has a main breaker, but my house has 2 boxes side by side both with main breakers.
That's odd.
The the main breakers just cut power to their individual panel? There's no main breaker for the whole house?
Can you discern a pattern as to how they are divided?

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Sep 2019, 09:23

From what I gather in a very quick look through the internet, it's not super common, but can be done for large houses where you want to balance electrical loads. Like if you have a power-hungry home office, you don't want the laser printer to dim the lights in the rest of the house when it's printing. Or since each box is limited to a rated amperage, if you end up needing more than that you might go with two boxes.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Sep 2019, 10:37

Highway wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 09:23
From what I gather in a very quick look through the internet, it's not super common, but can be done for large houses where you want to balance electrical loads. Like if you have a power-hungry home office, you don't want the laser printer to dim the lights in the rest of the house when it's printing. Or since each box is limited to a rated amperage, if you end up needing more than that you might go with two boxes.
First world problems

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Sep 2019, 13:14

My guess would have been that it was a duplex at one point. Highway's info makes more sense!

JD

Post by JD » 30 Sep 2019, 14:59

Bought a new mattress this past weekend. It wasn't quite an impulse purchase - our old mattress is approaching ten years old and was fairly cheap to begin with, and we'd spent a while discussing our need for a new mattress - but it still makes me a little uneasy to just go drop $3000 on something no matter how good it is. I guess over the lifespan of a mattress it only works out to something like $1/night, which strikes me as a reasonable amount to pay for comfortable sleep, but still, thousands of dollars seems like a hell of a lot to pay for some wood and springs and foam.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Sep 2019, 15:59

Beds are the first thing you should spend real money on after you have a roof and transportation.

Still the best resource I know:

https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/bed-ma ... -home.html

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 30 Sep 2019, 21:09

JasonL wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 15:59
Beds are the first thing you should spend real money on after you have a roof and transportation.

This. If you can’t sleep well, your entire life will become suffering and madness.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 01 Oct 2019, 08:01

tr0g wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 21:09
JasonL wrote:

This. If you can’t sleep well, your entire life will become suffering and madness.
It is perhaps both a blessing and a curse that I am remarkably insensitive to my sleeping conditions, and can sleep almost anywhere.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Oct 2019, 09:55

JD wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 08:01
tr0g wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 21:09
JasonL wrote:

It is perhaps both a blessing and a curse that I am remarkably insensitive to my sleeping conditions, and can sleep almost anywhere.
I developed that talent in the Military out of necessity. But now I'm not even able to get good sleep in my own bed.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Oct 2019, 19:45

I've swung from tiny house shows right over to the other side of the spectrum with Grand Designs on Netflix. It's a British show where the owners fall into two categories: people with a vision putting up a lovely-but-modern house in the face of skeptical or hostile* neighbors, or people with over a million pounds to spend and no taste to back it up. Either way, I love it. :D

* There was one with a couple building a modern boathouse on the Thames, and their elderly neighbor told the interviewer, "I can't be happy for them. I hope it floods."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Oct 2019, 16:11

I have run out of Grand Designs and now am back on my bullshit with tiny house tours on YouTube.

1. sooooo many white people dreads
2. Why does EVERYONE feel the need to cram in a transforming guest bed somewhere? "For when people come to visit." How many fucking people are actually gonna visit someone in a tiny home and spend the night? Nothing sounds more relaxing to me than sleeping in the middle of someone's living room, where they have to step over me to get to the bathroom and they can't use their dining table until I get up and pull my blanket back off it.

It's like that comment I saw somewhere about wanting to visit every couple on House Hunters International and see if they really DO cook a turkey in their oven on Thanksgiving.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Oct 2019, 20:50

For Ellie: "Why I hate living in my tiny house"

https://www.fastcompany.com/90407740/wh ... tiny-house

Tl;dr: Because it's really small and inconvenient
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Oct 2019, 20:56

Any house not large enough to get away from the rest of your family is tiny. And, as such, uninhabitable.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Oct 2019, 21:07

Jennifer wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 20:50

You have to have a place that's in scale with your belongings, or it doesn't matter what the size is.

People overestimate how much crap they can bring along to a small place, though.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Oct 2019, 17:20

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 21:07
Jennifer wrote:

You have to have a place that's in scale with your belongings, or it doesn't matter what the size is.

People overestimate how much crap they can bring along to a small place, though.
For some of those ultra-tiny homes, even if occupied by a single person with a very minimalist lifestyle, I suspect the amount of stuff you can fit there is less than the minimum amount of stuff a person needs (or at least, the minimum amount needed to enjoy certain conveniences AND avoid certain forms of waste).

For example: if I were single, and also living in a home tiny enough that at-home entertaining is not an option anyway, technically I could get by with an extremely minimal amount of dishware and cookware: one plate, one bowl, one drinking cup, one fork, spoon and knife, one cooking pot and pan, etc. Which also requires me to wash the dishes after every meal, because I'll need them for my next one.

Thing is, though: given modern energy-efficient dishwashers (and assuming you only run them when they're full), using a dishwasher actually requires FAR less water, electricity, detergent, etc. than hand-washing the same number of dishes (not to mention the vast amount of your own personal time spent washing all those dishes and cookware). So even if you live alone and never have guests (or at least, never serve food or drink to your guests), if you were looking for ways to either save money OR be more "environmentally friendly," I'd advise you "Hey, instead of making do with ONE of each kitchen item, at minimum have enough to completely fill your dishwasher, with enough left over to cook and eat one additional meal." Which you, Eric, could indeed do because IIRC you live in a "normal" home rather than a "tiny" home.

But in those tiny homes there's a good chance you genuinely lack room for that much kitchenware (assuming you even have a dishwasher).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Oct 2019, 18:54

Jennifer wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 17:20
Eric the .5b wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

For some of those ultra-tiny homes, even if occupied by a single person with a very minimalist lifestyle, I suspect the amount of stuff you can fit there is less than the minimum amount of stuff a person needs (or at least, the minimum amount needed to enjoy certain conveniences AND avoid certain forms of waste).
Yeah, that's all absolutely true. But that's still a depends-on-lifestyle thing rather than being near any objective limit; there are people today living in hovels and claustrophobic apartments barely big enough for a single bed, both of which make any tiny house (even that little one you can order on Amazon) look luxurious. And, if you go back far enough, all our ancestors lived in tiny, portable shelters. I wouldn't want a tiny house, but I also wouldn't really want to live in your average RV or cabin in the woods, either, and people still voluntarily do that.

However, I get the impression that for many of the people, when they conclude this, it's less from the "OK, I don't have enough stuff, anymore" direction of having divested all that stuff rather than the "I can't bear to part with enough stuff to not clutter up this place" direction. It doesn't seem at all invalid to make the conclusion from that side, but it seems to be more not being able to achieve that lifestyle than actually living that lifestyle and concluding it doesn't work, which seems to be an important distinction. And when someone talks about having to play Tetris with their belongings to get to places, I really think it's from the can't-part-with-stuff side.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Oct 2019, 19:22

Eric the .5b wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 18:54
And when someone talks about having to play Tetris with their belongings to get to places, I really think it's from the can't-part-with-stuff side.
That part made me laugh because that's my life, all the time. Not a tiny house, just a cluttered one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Oct 2019, 19:29

On the vein of minimalist life, I'm catching up on this guy's YouTube feed. He's a Canadian living nomadically in his van because of apartment prices, he says. He works jobs and clearly has some money from that and Patreon (as he apparently had enough saved to go bumming around the Canadian Rockies for awhile), and most importantly, he has a lot of mechanical know-how. Even so, the van life is obviously pretty contraining.

(At the very least, his choice to not have a toilet in the van and just use public facilities...yow.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Oct 2019, 20:03

Eric the .5b wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 18:54
Jennifer wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 17:20
Eric the .5b wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

Yeah, that's all absolutely true. But that's still a depends-on-lifestyle thing rather than being near any objective limit; there are people today living in hovels and claustrophobic apartments barely big enough for a single bed, both of which make any tiny house (even that little one you can order on Amazon) look luxurious. And, if you go back far enough, all our ancestors lived in tiny, portable shelters.
Sure, but while our ancestors' basic biological needs were met, I daresay many would find it difficult if not impossible to meet certain standards required to belong to modern mainstream American society -- such as, your clothes need to be a certain level of cleanliness and non-stinkyness that you can NOT meet by "wearing the same outfit every day, and washing it once a week," even though that was the norm for pretty much everybody other than the ultra-rich until barely more than a century ago.

Come to think of it, clothing also explains why tiny-house living must be a HELL of a lot harder in places far enough north to have actual winters. When Jeff and I lived in Connecticut and would go on vacations (even just overnight road trips), we needed far more luggage in winter than in summer, because something like "a single warm New England-grade pullover sweater," even when folded up AND mashed down to occupy as little space as possible ("mashing down" folded sweaters is NOT GOOD for their longevity, BTW), can occupy as much space as three or four complete summer outfits, even my "Atlanta summer" clothes -- everything is long-legged and long-sleeved, yes, but the material is very thin and lightweight and when you fold these garments they don't have air pockets to "mash down," as when you fold bulky knit items. Plus, winter often requires additional full-body underclothes which simply aren't an issue in summer, PLUS an overcoat and hat and scarf and gloves and on and on.

And when someone talks about having to play Tetris with their belongings to get to places, I really think it's from the can't-part-with-stuff side.
For many people in "normal size" homes, yes (I include myself in this -- like, Jeff and I could get by with less kitchenware than my too-small kitchen holds, but I do not want to, in part because I LIKE having enough pots and pans that I have clean ones to use even when others are still dirty) -- but that doesn't sound like what the author of that piece is talking about:
It’s small enough that doing anything—getting the vacuum from a tiny closet or something out of a drawer in the kitchen—often involves a Tetris-like game of moving multiple other things out of the way. Right now, because I have one chair too many, lowering my Murphy bed from the wall means moving the chair, which then blocks something else.