Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Jul 2019, 18:09

Jennifer wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 18:05
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 17:57
Jennifer wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 17:54
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 17:50
Jennifer wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 17:47
[Sigh] The English language needs a word to describe "that sinking, stifling feeling you get when the AC is on and has been all day, yet when you look at the thermostat you notice the internal temperature is several degrees higher than where you set it."
There is. It's called "renter."
Not specific enough.
It is, though, really. As long as you're renting at anything below a luxury price point, you're stuck with whatever the landlord decides is good enough HVAC to keep the units occupied. You can't just call some HVAC company and say "Hey, tear this piece of shit out and put in something that actually works." You can't even do that if you could afford to and were willing to pay for it.
On the other hand, even homeowners and luxury renters have on occasion experienced "that sinking, stifling feeling you get when the AC is on and has been all day, yet when you look at the thermostat you notice the internal temperature is several degrees higher than where you set it." (Indeed, one of my local homeowner acquaintances made the same discovery last week.) Even high-quality air conditioning systems will break down sometimes.
Absolutely true and, in fact, ours did day before yesterday. But the guy who services our house was out at 11 pm that day replacing the blown capacitor and by midnight it was cooling down again nicely.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jul 2019, 18:11

Meanwhile, I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for either my snarky question (the one word to describe that broken-AC discovery), or my serious one about portable-AC recommendations?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 Jul 2019, 23:16

This is recent. I think he goes pretty well over the types. Get a 2-hose one, maybe not any if you can only get a 1-hose one.

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jul 2019, 00:26

Good to know. THIS time, luckily, throwing the fusebox/circuit-breaker thing was all I needed to do (thanks, Taktix!), but I still want a portable on hand because sooner or later the AC WILL go out again, or run out of freon, or whatever.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2019, 08:23

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
[Sigh] The English language needs a word to describe "that sinking, stifling feeling you get when the AC is on and has been all day, yet when you look at the thermostat you notice the internal temperature is several degrees higher than where you set it."
You misspelled European
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Jul 2019, 10:18

Mo wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 08:23
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
You misspelled European
HA!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2019, 17:24

In other news, it’s going to be 95 here next week, so you are more than welcome to please kill me.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jul 2019, 17:26

How feasible would it be for you to try buying a window-unit or "portable" AC where you are, Mo?

Also: is it supposed to be a humid heat, or dry? If it's dry, you can make a makeshift evaporative cooler fairly easily, or so I've heard.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Jul 2019, 17:53

Mo wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 17:24
In other news, it’s going to be 95 here next week, so you are more than welcome to please kill me.
Celsius? I'm surprised your still breathing at all.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2019, 17:58

Jennifer wrote:How feasible would it be for you to try buying a window-unit or "portable" AC where you are, Mo?

Also: is it supposed to be a humid heat, or dry? If it's dry, you can make a makeshift evaporative cooler fairly easily, or so I've heard.
It’s always humid here. I could buy one of those, but the question is if I want to drop £200+ GBP for a few days. Especially since this is likely my last summer here.

JD

Post by JD » 19 Jul 2019, 18:00

re: portable ACs, they're not great, but they're sure better than nothing. We have one in our bedroom, which has a bay window with individual subwindows (or whatever you call them) only 13" wide. It is possible to get a window AC that small, but you have to special order it, and the price suddenly quadruples once you're outside the "normal" range of AC sizes. So we have a portable AC with the single hose. It works.
Beep boop, you silly humans.

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2019, 18:15

The other issue is that we have casement windows in the bedroom. Which are not AC friendly.

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jul 2019, 18:58

The other thing you realize is how oppressive merely warm is without any ac and without buildings optimized to cool off. Like 80 back home is nice and you don’t really notice moderately air conditioned spaces. But 80 without ac all day everywhere sucks.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Jul 2019, 21:42

dead_elvis wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 17:42
What I found frustrating in GFCI instructions is "here's where you put the green, red, and white wires" (or whatever colors they were) and here I am in my wall staring at one black wire and one white. The instructions should start at the top with "if you're home was built before 19X0, throw this away and consult the internet, we're not interested in helping you".
Yeah, that happened with the last GFCI I replaced in the bathroom of a circa 1985 townhouse. Luckily there was no downstream circuit in that one. This one was a fairly straightforward one for one swap in an addition built in 2008.

I also successfully replaced the front door handle today, though my dog got all worked up and scratched me somewhat substantially when putting everything back together.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 20 Jul 2019, 18:15

Mo wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 18:58
The other thing you realize is how oppressive merely warm is without any ac and without buildings optimized to cool off. Like 80 back home is nice and you don’t really notice moderately air conditioned spaces. But 80 without ac all day everywhere sucks.
Went to Poland in September (as I do), and was a little surprised to realize how rare air conditioning is in Europe. They really think we're ridiculously weak, since we apparently can't function outside of the 65-75 degree Fahrenheit range. (I realize they would cite some BS Celsius range, but I reject that reality.)

Fair enough, we're weak. Fine. But you know, when it's 100+ degrees and feels like the inside of someone's mouth outside, weakness isn't so bad.
Perhaps the greatest loss of all is that we may never again live in a world free of hyperbole. --JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Jul 2019, 00:47

Wixenstyx wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 18:15
Fair enough, we're weak. Fine. But you know, when it's 100+ degrees and feels like the inside of someone's mouth outside, weakness isn't so bad.
And they're having people drop dead, yeah...

I grew up in coastal Texas and have done yard work and shovelled dirt in the heat of summer, and I'm like, "Really, do what you need to do to stay cool. And drink fluids."
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 21 Jul 2019, 06:02

I've never lived in a place with air conditioning.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 21 Jul 2019, 08:06

Tuco wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 06:02
Ah yes. The common clay of the new West. You know… morons

j/k
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Jul 2019, 03:01

Wixenstyx wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 18:15
Mo wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 18:58
Went to Poland in September (as I do), and was a little surprised to realize how rare air conditioning is in Europe. They really think we're ridiculously weak, since we apparently can't function outside of the 65-75 degree Fahrenheit range. (I realize they would cite some BS Celsius range, but I reject that reality.)

In places where AC is ubiquitous, we rarely have deaths in what they'd call heat waves. You get a week at 110 in the South and yeah, there are poor-and-vulnerable people whose AC won't keep up, but for the most part anywhere south of 40N and below 3000' is ACed and can weather a month of 100s without the deaths that Europe sees after a week in those ranges.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Jul 2019, 03:03

Tuco wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 06:02
Real adobe can make that work. That and a good water supply, at least in NM (although my experience is up around Santa Fe so I couldn't say how much worse things are in your part of the state).
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 03 Aug 2019, 17:25

Can anyone recommend a mattress pad or foam topper thing?

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Aug 2019, 21:56

Dangerman wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 17:25
Can anyone recommend a mattress pad or foam topper thing?
Is Amazon not your friend?
I needed one for my bed and just picked up something from the Wal Mart. It's been serving me well for the past few years, but I'm not asking much of it. No holes, stays in place, that's about all.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Aug 2019, 12:12

I'm looking on Amazon, and I've narrowed down to some products that seem ok, but almost every item X has reviews saying Y is better, and vice versa. I think it's because 'memory foam' has become a commodity product and the various iterations are very similar, and that's why I'm asking if anyone has anything to say about it.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Aug 2019, 09:14

This is my favorite shower head I’ve ever owned. Moen 26009SRN Engage Magnetix Multi-Function Handshower and Rainshower Combo Featuring Magnetic Docking System, Spot Resist Brushed Nickel

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Aug 2019, 09:46

Noice
THIS SPACE FOR RENT