Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Warren » 20 Jun 2019, 10:44

Jasper wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 10:26
Granite/marble keeps the butter cold as you work the dough so you maintain flakiness. If the fat melts, you get shortbread instead of pastry.
Okay I knew that, but the advice I always heard was "Cut up your butter and put it back in the fridge and work quick". I mean you have to roll it out, but if you want flaky dough you don't want gluten so no kneading.
But I take your point.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Jun 2019, 15:09

Warren wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 10:11
Jasper wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 09:27
Yeah, granite (or marble) is great for working with pastry doughs. I have a 18" x 24" slab of marble that I use. Makes a good charcuterie board too.
Work pastry dough? I don't do much pastry, but I've not heard of needing to knead on marble. Why would you need a heat sink for cold dough?
And good god man, 18"x24"? That's got to weigh north of 20lbs. You carry that thing loaded up with cold cuts?

Fudge. First rate fudge is worked on big stone slabs.
You wanna keep the butter cold so your pastry dough can have some elements of tender and flaky consistently. Lots of pastry applications want you to keep butter solid when it might soften too much due to the heat of your hands.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 20 Jun 2019, 17:26

Warren wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 10:44
Jasper wrote:
Granite/marble keeps the butter cold as you work the dough so you maintain flakiness. If the fat melts, you get shortbread instead of pastry.
Okay I knew that, but the advice I always heard was "Cut up your butter and put it back in the fridge and work quick". I mean you have to roll it out, but if you want flaky dough you don't want gluten so no kneading.
But I take your point.
Yeah, when I said "work" I was not talking about kneading. But rolling and shaping is safer if you have a heatsink surface to do it on.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Jun 2019, 19:54

Jadagul wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 17:26
Warren wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 10:44
Jasper wrote:
But I take your point.
Yeah, when I said "work" I was not talking about kneading. But rolling and shaping is safer if you have a heatsink surface to do it on.
Likewise when I said 'kneading' I really meant 'work' in the not-kneeding but doing the stuff you have to do that isn't that thing.

however, I think if it's a big heat sink then it's also a big heat source if it's at room temp and you're trying to keep stuff at fridge temp. So really you might want the slab that can be fridged for an hour before you start rather than just your counter. Dunno.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 21 Jun 2019, 09:26

+1 to the 'work pastry dough really means gently caress into cohesion and then shape' clarification.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 21 Jun 2019, 12:10

What a fool I've been. Only now do I see the error of my ways. Kneading was in us all along and pastry making is the friends we made along the way.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 21 Jun 2019, 16:05

Kneading is for bread & pasta dough, to develop the gluten.

[/awkward food nerd]
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Jun 2019, 17:02

Best Buy sells washer dryer stacked in the store display. Adds on power cables, vent hose, etc. Mentions that stacking brackets are needed which I took to mean "so we are adding these in along with the other doodads", actually it meant "we don't sell them you have to buy them yourself, look up the right type and have them sitting there when delivery arrives." So have to mount and bracket my own dryer when I get back for no good reason grr.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 21 Jun 2019, 17:28

Jasper wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 09:26
+1 to the 'work pastry dough really means gently caress into cohesion and then shape' clarification.
I will add that I took this too much to heart when I started making pastry. Pie dough really needs to be kneaded like twice. (As in, pull it out, fold it over, pull it out again, now you're done). You don't actually want _zero_ gluten, because then it won't hold together. My pie got a lot better when I realized that.

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Jun 2019, 17:30

JasonL wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 17:02
Best Buy sells washer dryer stacked in the store display. Adds on power cables, vent hose, etc. Mentions that stacking brackets are needed which I took to mean "so we are adding these in along with the other doodads", actually it meant "we don't sell them you have to buy them yourself, look up the right type and have them sitting there when delivery arrives." So have to mount and bracket my own dryer when I get back for no good reason grr.
This gives me so much glee :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Jun 2019, 17:34

It’s dumb af. The whole process made it sound like the bracket was another add on thing. Like “you’ll need power cords, vent hose and brackets”. The included the first two but not the third and never mentioned it again.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 24 Jun 2019, 12:54

Shoulda bought it from Jerry Lundegaard. Would've come with brackets and undercoating.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Jun 2019, 20:16

Inspection is Thursday morning. They sent me an email on etiquette. They want me to not bother him and "work on furniture placement, paint color, and other home concerns."

Hahahaha!
HAHAhahahaha!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!1!!

Yeah my dude. I'm gonna be next to you the entire time with a clipboard taking notes and asking questions when I have one. Just like last time. Dick move maybe but I've got serious economic insecurities that need to be put to rest. And those insecurities dont involve how the feng shui* of a room affects its flow.

*I dont actually know what feng shui is

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jun 2019, 20:27

Pham Nuwen wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:16
Oh man. Feng shui is amazing. It's like French Court etiquette for interior design. A bunch of nonsensical rules, that give the lives wine moms meaning.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jun 2019, 21:11

Warren wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:27
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Oh man. Feng shui is amazing. It's like French Court etiquette for interior design. A bunch of nonsensical rules, that give the lives wine moms meaning.
You don't want your feet facing the Live Laugh Love plaque.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 Jun 2019, 22:49

lunchstealer wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 21:11
Warren wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 20:27
Pham Nuwen wrote:
You don't want your feet facing the Live Laugh Love plaque.
DON'T YOU PUT THAT IDEA INTO MY WIFE'S HEAD, LUNCH!!! THERE WILL BE NO BULLSHIT LIKE THAT DISPLAYED IN THE HOUSE!!!

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 25 Jun 2019, 12:48

I hope she likes the sand castle sculpture with a little "Life's a beach!" sign on it I've sent.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 25 Jun 2019, 13:18

Jasper wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 12:48
I hope she likes the sand castle sculpture with a little "Life's a beach!" sign on it I've sent.
You are a bad man.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 29 Jun 2019, 18:34

These sellers fucking suck. They didn't move anything out of the fucking way so some things couldn't be inspected. Turned off the fireplace so that cant be inspected. And after the solar panel nonsense im being told they will likely reject the 2 major habitation issues as well as the (admittedly) small shingle issue. Sellers market. We're over this shit.

We filed an inspection dispute this morning. They can pay to fix the two issues and the shingles or they can go fuck themselves. I already have confirmed one of the backups is still available. It's got it's own issues but they are cosmetic. Granted they are two major cosmetic issues* but I'd rather fix those later when I'm working again than maybe possibly spending 15k as soon as we buy this one house.

*they knocked down a wall and made a living room size master but that leaves the main floor at only 2 bedrooms which apparently hurts resale significantly. They also did some really cool shit with the kitchen by putting the fridge into a cutout. But said cutout space goes into the garage. So now you cant fit a regular car, truck, or SUV in there. Also big hit on resale.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Jul 2019, 09:58

Broken sewer pipe right under house. Until we figured out why it wasn’t flushing correctly there was probably a day or two worth of sewage we flushed into the crawl space. Ewww. And ouch.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Jul 2019, 10:11

dead_elvis wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 09:58
Broken sewer pipe right under house. Until we figured out why it wasn’t flushing correctly there was probably a day or two worth of sewage we flushed into the crawl space. Ewww. And ouch.
Shit
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jul 2019, 10:54

Oh, yikes! I'm sorry. :(
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Jul 2019, 13:53

Ugh, good luck getting it fixed and cleaned up.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Jul 2019, 14:09

It gets better- this was originally a 1930s 2bed 1bath; at some point long ago another bedroom and kitchen were added and living room expanded to absorb previous kitchen. Was just informed that when the addition was tacked on the back they put footings... on top of the sewer line. I just have to laugh. Won't be impossible to work around, but it's just comical what a clown show this house is. Also this week chopping down one of two trees that were planted *right next* to a foundation. Who does that?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Jul 2019, 14:20

dead_elvis wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 14:09
Also this week chopping down one of two trees that were planted *right next* to a foundation. Who does that?
They still do that. Because when the house is new and the trees are small, idiots think it has "curb appeal" or "provides shade" or some such shit.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT