Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by JasonL » 21 May 2019, 15:16

Pham Nuwen wrote:
20 May 2019, 22:28
Yo. Anyone have any thoughts on foreclosures in nicer areas? Are people still smashing everything to bits like supposedly happened in 08'?
Good inspector not cheap inspector.

Mo

Home $weet Home

Post by Mo » 21 May 2019, 16:19

In related news today, the secretary of HUD thought an REO was a cookie in a Congressional hearing. Like at least go for the Speedwagon.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 May 2019, 18:06

Also, because of Ben Carson, should we retire the phrase, “It’s not brain surgery”?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Jun 2019, 20:16

The long fluorescent bulbs in our overhead kitchen light went bad/flickery for at LEAST the second time since we've lived here, so when Jeff and I went to buy replacement bulbs yesterday, I saw Walmart had "Great Value"-brand LED bulbs for the same price as regular GE-brand fluorescents. (These are the long skinny "pole" bulbs I'm talking about; IIRC ours are 48 inches.) So I suggested trying the LEDs solely in hope they wouldn't fail as frequently as the fluorescents did -- we made a similar replacement for a certain nightlight lamp that burned through incandescents at an astonishing rate, especially for a light bulb that was never turned off, and the experiment proved successful -- come to discover the light from those LED fluorescent replacements is a LOT nicer than fluorescent light, IMO. Closer to a warm yellow, than the usual cold white fluorescent glare.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Jun 2019, 20:05

Put a bid on another house. Time for round 2.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Jun 2019, 18:46

We didn't get this house either. I am a sad panda. :(

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6235 ... 6881_zpid/

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 05 Jun 2019, 20:14

Sorry to hear, Pham.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Jun 2019, 20:37

Pham Nuwen wrote:We didn't get this house either. I am a sad panda. :(

Damn. Not surprised it got bid out from under you, though. Thats a lotta house for the Arvada money. Hell if we'd gotten our search off the ground already we mighta been one of your competition on that one.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Jun 2019, 21:01

lunchstealer wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 20:37
Pham Nuwen wrote:We didn't get this house either. I am a sad panda. :(

Damn. Not surprised it got bid out from under you, though. Thats a lotta house for the Arvada money. Hell if we'd gotten our search off the ground already we mighta been one of your competition on that one.
That's kind of why we figured we had a fighting chance. Everything is updated so an investor can't really do much to flip it. Someone just wanted it a little more than we did. :(

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 06 Jun 2019, 13:36

Pham Nuwen wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 18:46
We didn't get this house either. I am a sad panda. :(

Sorry bud. Those were some nice digs.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Jun 2019, 13:49

Sorry you lost out on it, and Good luck with the next one, Pham.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 07 Jun 2019, 17:59

Round 3 now ...

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 07 Jun 2019, 20:43

Some asshole is trying to make us go above bid again. So I'm being petty and topping their offer by $100 bucks. Fuck those guys.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 07 Jun 2019, 22:42

Outbid again ....

*sigh*

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Jun 2019, 12:59

Why do some people think it’s attractive / a good idea to pay extra money to wrap your appliances in a veneer so they look like your cabinets? That is some ugly looking shit and it isn’t cheap.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jun 2019, 13:04

JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 12:59
Why do some people think it’s attractive / a good idea to pay extra money to wrap your appliances in a veneer so they look like your cabinets? That is some ugly looking shit and it isn’t cheap.
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.
Cabinet facade doesn't do much for me, certainly not at that price point. However, watching a lot of remodeling shows has put me right off stone countertops and stainless steel appliances just because I judge the people that think they're must haves and everything else is junk.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Jun 2019, 13:18

Warren wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 13:04
JasonL wrote:
Cabinet facade doesn't do much for me, certainly not at that price point. However, watching a lot of remodeling shows has put me right off stone countertops and stainless steel appliances just because I judge the people that think they're must haves and everything else is junk.
I actually like engineered quartz for counter tops - it's flexible in terms of how it looks. I like stainless but yes we found out that many brands don't even ship basic colors anymore. Retail can't move anything other than stainless. Of course at the top end it's becoming colorful again to distinguish from the plebes. Bright reds, french palettes, etc.

I've settled on 36" wolf cooktop and associated chunky stainless wall ventilation.

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Jun 2019, 13:54

JasonL wrote:
Haha yeahhh

You have to "hide" everything. Because then people will think you actually don't have a fridge in your kitchen. Yeah.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Jun 2019, 14:21

My new fridge has the wrap. Also not French doored. Side by side counter depth. Not awesome.

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Jun 2019, 14:22

JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 14:21
My new fridge has the wrap. Also not French doored. Side by side counter depth. Not awesome.
When you say new fridge do you mean fridge already present in new house or you just picked that out?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Jun 2019, 14:29

nicole wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 14:22
JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 14:21
When you say new fridge do you mean fridge already present in new house or you just picked that out?
The former. I did not pick this one out.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jun 2019, 14:32

JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 13:18
I've settled on 36" wolf cooktop and associated chunky stainless wall ventilation.
I don't understand "chunky stainless wall ventilation". What does that look like?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Jun 2019, 14:44

Wall mounted as opposed to drop down ceiling type but with no attempt to be low profile to blend with cabinets.

This one is low profile: https://www.subzero-wolf.com/wolf/range ... -wall-hood

This one is not: https://www.subzero-wolf.com/wolf/range ... imney-hood

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jun 2019, 15:05

I see.
The range hood absolutely must provide adequate ventilation, and by adequate I mean enough to keep the vaporized grease from settling beyond the cook top.
Beyond that is should provide good lighting and be quiet enough to talk over without raising your voice.
Oh, and it should also vent to the outside. Something ours doesn't do. It just sucks the air through a filter of steel wool and blows it back out into the kitchen, and thus makes the list of "Things that make my life a living hell".

That one looks good.
I should lust for it, but damn if my aversion to stainless steel doesn't run deeper than I thought.

ETA
Select from internal, in-line, or remote blower options 
Remote blower!? [insert double entendre]
Lust Achieved
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Jun 2019, 16:47

JasonL wrote:
Warren wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 13:04
JasonL wrote:
I actually like engineered quartz for counter tops - it's flexible in terms of how it looks. I like stainless but yes we found out that many brands don't even ship basic colors anymore. Retail can't move anything other than stainless. Of course at the top end it's becoming colorful again to distinguish from the plebes. Bright reds, french palettes, etc.

We went granite when we did our kitchen because HGTV convinced so many people that quartz is hot and granite is not that we found gorgeous, high quality granite for less than the quartz.