Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24217
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by JasonL » 11 Dec 2018, 14:55

Live in big house, rent small one to quilting enthusiasts was my thought.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24217
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by JasonL » 11 Dec 2018, 14:56

lunchstealer wrote:Shelving-instead-of-cabinets is okay, if and only if you have a very effective hood over the stove. There is gas to the home, so it may be possible to retrofit a gas stove, but man I'm trying to think how you'd put in a hood over that stove without destroying the aesthetic, and coming up with things that involve very expensive opening of the casing around that beam thing.
I did have this worry

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6689
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Andrew » 11 Dec 2018, 15:38

$600k might as well be $600M to me, but 100 acres and a lap pool? That's living like royalty.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2766
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jake » 11 Dec 2018, 16:26

From watching the video, I have but one question: how much and how often do you enjoy mowing? 'Cause I see a lot of mowing for a future owner.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16006
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Aresen » 11 Dec 2018, 16:45

Jake wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 16:26
From watching the video, I have but one question: how much and how often do you enjoy mowing? 'Cause I see a lot of mowing for a future owner.
That's what you have horses for. :lol:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Rachel
Posts: 2662
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 19:50

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Rachel » 12 Dec 2018, 22:43

After many iterations of "living with roommates I found on Craigslist" I have reached the pinnacle of NYC existence - being able to afford my own place WITHOUT having a significant other.

For a (very) brief period I harbored an idea that I wanted to move to Upper Manhattan, but it's super inconvenient and I don't even like the neighborhoods, so I decided to just move one neighborhood over in Queens, despite the fact that it's going to be Amazon-ville in a couple years.

I now live in a neighborhood called Sunnyside, and my subway stop is "Bliss Street."
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

User avatar
Tuco
Posts: 272
Joined: 18 Feb 2017, 21:00

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Tuco » 13 Dec 2018, 06:04

Aresen wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 16:45
Jake wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 16:26
From watching the video, I have but one question: how much and how often do you enjoy mowing? 'Cause I see a lot of mowing for a future owner.
That's what you have horses for. :lol:
This is correct.

User avatar
Tuco
Posts: 272
Joined: 18 Feb 2017, 21:00

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Tuco » 13 Dec 2018, 06:08

Rachel wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 22:43
After many iterations of "living with roommates I found on Craigslist" I have reached the pinnacle of NYC existence - being able to afford my own place WITHOUT having a significant other.

For a (very) brief period I harbored an idea that I wanted to move to Upper Manhattan, but it's super inconvenient and I don't even like the neighborhoods, so I decided to just move one neighborhood over in Queens, despite the fact that it's going to be Amazon-ville in a couple years.

I now live in a neighborhood called Sunnyside, and my subway stop is "Bliss Street."
Congratulations. You found your Bliss!

User avatar
Rachel
Posts: 2662
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 19:50

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Rachel » 13 Dec 2018, 09:43

Kolohe wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 12:00
I now own a townhouse somewhere between 3 to 4 miles of Bezoworld South.
I guess where I live could be considered Bezoworld North? Or Bezoworld East? It's going to be in the a borough, so snobs wouldn't consider it Bezoworld NYC, probably.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7897
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Dec 2018, 10:20

I don't live at the center of the universe so I don't know where that is, Rachel. Congrats, I think?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28328
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by thoreau » 13 Dec 2018, 11:42

Is Bezosworld the theme park where attractive robot sex toys try to sell you books, music, and household goods based on your purchasing history, and then they join a rebellion and kill tech investors?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27012
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Warren » 13 Dec 2018, 11:44

thoreau wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 11:42
Is Bezosworld the theme park where attractive robot sex toys try to sell you books, music, and household goods based on your purchasing history, and then they join a rebellion and kill tech investors?
Oh. I hope so.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24377
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jennifer » 18 Mar 2019, 15:25

Ellie wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 11:04
[stuff]
Quoting an unrelated Ellie post solely so she'll get a notification: IIRC, didn't you once make a Facebook post on the theme "I bought blackout curtains at IKEA"? If so, how are those curtains working out all this time later -- still "blackout" or have they faded? If they're still good, do you recall their name?

I ask, obviously, because the el cheapo paper-blackout shades we bought when we first moved here have faded to near-uselessness, but I think it would be cheaper in the long run to spend more upfront for some SERIOUS blackout window gear, rather than fall into a Vimes' boots scenario for sun avoidance.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12485
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Ellie » 18 Mar 2019, 16:20

Yes! We got these and they are totally opaque, look nice, and are in like-new shape two years later.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70341034/
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24377
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jennifer » 18 Mar 2019, 18:05

Semi-related trivia fact: in Britain during World War Two, when almost everything you could possibly need was strictly rationed, including fabric and clothing and even yarns and threads (on average, a grown adult could originally get about one new outfit a year, but over time rations got stricter until a single used coat could cost a year's clothes-ration points) ... but as I recall from my book of reproduction war pamphlets, the fabric required to make blackout curtains was not rationed. (Which makes sense, given how hyper-strict the blackout regulations were, and for good reason too.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24377
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jennifer » 25 Mar 2019, 13:49

Jeff and I went to IKEA yesterday and checked out Ellie's "Majgull" curtains, but he decided against them because, he said, he doesn't trust the walls in this apartment to hold up the necessary curtain rod. (Especially since, given the width of our windows, we would need TWO curtains to cover the one in our bedroom.) So instead he bought IKEA's (cheaper) version of the el cheapo paper shades we bought at Home Depot when we first got here. Turns out IKEA's shades are slightly better than HD's -- HD's were pure paper, whereas the IKEA ones have a thin polyurethane coating which presumably will be more fade-resistant. However, the adhesive in the IKEA version is far worse -- Jeff put up one sunshade over the window in my office yesterday, and when I woke up today I found it on the floor. So he re-applied it with some thumbtacks; hopefully THOSE will do the trick.

EDIT: typos
Last edited by Jennifer on 25 Mar 2019, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24377
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jennifer » 25 Mar 2019, 18:05

Wow. Jeff put the IKEA shades in the bedroom today -- that's the only room where we blackout ALL the windows, rather than half -- they are DEFINITELY better than the HD ones we bought. It's not pitch-black in there ... but that's only because there's bits of ambient light seeping out from the edges. However, had we bought three shades rather than two for that window -- to have the shades overlap in the middle and completely cover the edges, too -- those might actually be good enough to have met "Britain during the Blitz-" level blackout regulations.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1653
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Kwix » 25 Mar 2019, 18:10

Jennifer wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 18:05
Wow. Jeff put the IKEA shades in the bedroom today -- that's the only room where we blackout ALL the windows, rather than half -- they are DEFINITELY better than the HD ones we bought. It's not pitch-black in there ... but that's only because there's bits of ambient light seeping out from the edges. However, had we bought three shades rather than two for that window -- to have the shades overlap in the middle and completely cover the edges, too -- those might actually be good enough to have met "Britain during the Blitz-" level blackout regulations.
If you don't have need to remove the shade then you can always pull the Alaskan transplant trick by using either paper bags or aluminum foil taped to the windows. Foil has the advantage, assuming you put it shiny side out, of reflecting a ton of heat back to the outside. Downside, your neighbors get blinded.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24377
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jennifer » 25 Mar 2019, 18:19

Kwix wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 18:10
Jennifer wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 18:05
Wow. Jeff put the IKEA shades in the bedroom today -- that's the only room where we blackout ALL the windows, rather than half -- they are DEFINITELY better than the HD ones we bought. It's not pitch-black in there ... but that's only because there's bits of ambient light seeping out from the edges. However, had we bought three shades rather than two for that window -- to have the shades overlap in the middle and completely cover the edges, too -- those might actually be good enough to have met "Britain during the Blitz-" level blackout regulations.
If you don't have need to remove the shade then you can always pull the Alaskan transplant trick by using either paper bags or aluminum foil taped to the windows. Foil has the advantage, assuming you put it shiny side out, of reflecting a ton of heat back to the outside. Downside, your neighbors get blinded.
I'm pretty sure that would violate the lease -- all windows from the outside show the white horizontal blinds that come with the place. Plus, the way we have it set up, the shade covering the right half of the window (from the perspective of the bedroom door) stays down all the time, but the shade on the left sometimes gets partly raised so I can open that half of the window, and set up a box fan to draw air in or out. (We have those annoying, hyper-shitty-for-Southern-climates windows where the wall with the window is literally more than 50 percent glass -- I think of it as one giant window even though it's actually two slide-up windows side by side -- so in the bedroom we cover both halves of the window, but in mine and Jeff's offices we only have a shade over one half.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17433
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Mar 2019, 18:25

I’ve seen leases that call out tinfoil windows explicitly as prohibited.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24377
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jennifer » 25 Mar 2019, 18:39

I haven't checked mine, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it had such a clause. Though as I mentioned, even if I were allowed to do that I wouldn't, because I still want every room with a window to have the potential to be opened. (The natural air circulation in here is bad enough, without excluding one of only four rooms -- all on the same side -- which actually have the potential for outside/inside air exchange.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 24377
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jennifer » 25 Mar 2019, 19:15

By the way, those IKEA paper-and-polyurethane blackout shades are called "Schottis." I think they were only $4 or $5 apiece, but they were also on sale. And of course we bought them in person, not online.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24217
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Home $weet Home

Post by JasonL » 13 Apr 2019, 16:02

Found a house we like quite a bit. Size right. Geothermal already in place. Close location wise. Substantial hunk of change but doable - we’d have to carry two mortgages for a bit because our current place not ready to sell yet. We are sleeping on it but might move. Big money decision.


User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12485
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Ellie » 13 Apr 2019, 16:18

Oooh, that sounds very cool! Best of luck if you decide to go for it!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27012
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2019, 16:19

JasonL wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 16:02
Found a house we like quite a bit. Size right. Geothermal already in place. Close location wise. Substantial hunk of change but doable - we’d have to carry two mortgages for a bit because our current place not ready to sell yet. We are sleeping on it but might move. Big money decision.
This is considerably removed from where I thought you were. I thought you were designing your own house and moving was on perpetual standby until assurance of non-hoarding.
On a more 'What's in it for me' note, will the Ligon Bed and Breakfast be open mid May?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests