Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
nicole

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by nicole » 26 Oct 2018, 14:33

I realized yesterday that I've never actually lived in a house with an open plan kitchen.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 26 Oct 2018, 14:36

Andrew wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 21:42
Ellie wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 15:55
Oh, and I've enjoyed yelling at the MULTIPLE (??!!!) people who think a ladder up to the loft is too practical and put in a rock-climbing wall instead. "We love rock-climbing so much!" Okay, well, I hope you never get a broken wrist or a hernia or anything because you'll be sleeping on your living room floor for six weeks, have fun.
I live in a small house with a narrow, steep, and downright dangerous set of stairs up to the sleeping loft. I haven't yet been so drunk I had to sleep on the main room floor, but it's only a matter of time before it happens.
I live in a house with kind of crappy uneven subflooring under worn out carpet and one time I was so drunk I had to sleep on the sofa.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Oct 2018, 21:21

Wow. So skillet placement is where you guys draw the line? I'll just check myself into the nearest camp.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Oct 2018, 02:59

Actually I draw the line at goddamnit I closed the door for a reason get out of my kitchen til I'm done cooking, jackass. Also my skillet only ever leaves the stove when I need the space on the stove.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Oct 2018, 11:21

lunchstealer wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 02:59
Actually I draw the line at goddamnit I closed the door for a reason get out of my kitchen til I'm done cooking, jackass.
You make a good point. Though perhaps the open kitchen is actually better for keeping people out. You can see them coming and glower at them before they break your sterile field. Should they require something from the kitchen, they can be instructed to sit at the island* while waiting for you to retrieve it for them at a time of your choosing.

*Though I for one hate island seating. I can see it's advantages in dealing with large families/gatherings, but inflating the island footprint with seating overhang eats into precious sq-ft.age and encourages interference with food prep.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 27 Oct 2018, 17:50

lunchstealer wrote:
Actually I draw the line at goddamnit I closed the door for a reason get out of my kitchen til I'm done cooking, jackass.
I think my wife's favorite floor plan would have two kitchens, one false one for show so that guests can feel like they are hanging out in the kitchen, and the real one secretly located behind a false wall where one of us can actually get the cooking finished without people trying to "help". Want to help? Get a drink and talk to each other, because we said dinner at 6 and it's 5:50 so we're a little busy. See that entire spread of munchy stuff we put out earlier *over there*? Specifically for y'all to eat and congregate around before dinner? But noooooo, you want to be right here in the kitchen...
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Oct 2018, 23:46

After my last rant, the next episode of Tiny House, Big Living was about a couple who decided to seize their travel-around-the-country-in-a-tiny-house dream after the wife, who has cystic fibrosis, had a near-death experience. It was like, dammit, I can't make fun of these people. (I mean, I totally can, but I'm not brave enough to post that snark on the internet.)

Fortunately other episodes brought a buffet of stupidity for me to enjoy:
- the couple who spent $10,000 converting a 1950s short school bus into a tiny house trailer -- in below-zero weather, in Colorado -- yet put no insulation of any kind in it, a move so boneheaded that even a fellow school bus converter showed up in the episode to tell them they were idiots
- the young woman with two nose rings building a tiny house on her parents' property, that she insisted on calling a "Tiny Art House," that she roped her ex-boyfriend into building for her, and that she included a CLIMBING ROPE to get up to the "art loft" like jfc why do tiny house people hate having reasonable access to their own spaces
- the couple moving into a tiny home a week after the birth of their baby, who included a little hammock that you raise and lower with a pulley so they could get their baby up to their sleeping loft. Hey, that's great when your kid is still a newborn potato, but I'm here to tell you there is a WIDE GAP between when they will safely sit still in a little square of fabric and when they are capable of climbing a ladder. Have fun!
- the couple who knitted themselves a giant hammock to be their sleeping loft, and literally forgot to create any way to get up to it until they had already hung the hammock
- the professional tiny house builders showing off their omg so brilliant idea of a "tilt cabin" -- a tiny house built on its side so you can still tow it normally but when it gets to its destination it can be tilted 90 degrees and you have a house that's two full stories tall. It sounds nifty until you see in practice it means two rooms that are less than 8'x8'; downstairs is a reasonable enough tiny kitchen and bath but upstairs they put a couch and bed in the same footprint, so EVERY TIME you want to switch you need to move the couch cushions, fold up the couch bench, fold down your Murphy bed, and put your pillows back on the bed. Nobody is going to fucking do that every time they feel like sitting down in a "living room." Oh, and the whole thing has no foundation and is incredibly unstable so has to be tethered into the ground around it in a million places. WOW, WHERE DO I SIGN UP

Edited to add: also one couple -- I forget who exactly, I think it was the hammock loft people -- who were crowing about their "multipurpose" clothes closets which had open shelving on the doors, currently storing some fancy ceramics. Even when they were showing them off you could see them having to open the doors veeerrrrrryyyyy carefully so as not to jostle the contents of the shelves and knock them off. That's not multipurpose, you're just idiots.

Also adding for Pham: two more Buddha sightings so far. Man knows his demographic.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Oct 2018, 23:53

Ellie wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 23:46
like jfc why do tiny house people hate having reasonable access to their own spaces
Because then it would be a mobile home. The whole enterprise is built on smug via stupid.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Oct 2018, 23:59

They need to take Jeremy Clarkson's advice.

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 31 Oct 2018, 00:56

Ellie wrote:
- the couple moving into a tiny home a week after the birth of their baby, who included a little hammock that you raise and lower with a pulley so they could get their baby up to their sleeping loft. Hey, that's great when your kid is still a newborn potato, but I'm here to tell you there is a WIDE GAP between when they will safely sit still in a little square of fabric and when they are capable of climbing a ladder. Have fun!
JFC. Please tell me the sleeping loft has a railing at the edge. Because even after the kids are old enough to climb a not-difficult ladder, there's going to be a year or two when their sleep is deep enough that without railings, they WILL fall out of bed. (I remember my own fall-out-of-bed phase, but at least I still had a short little-kid bed so the fall -- or rather, the landing -- wasn't enough to actually cause injury.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 31 Oct 2018, 01:04

They did have decent railings. Very few sleeping lofts in tiny houses do, which is baffling to me because even as an adult, why take the risk?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 31 Oct 2018, 01:48

Ellie wrote:
Also adding for Pham: two more Buddha sightings so far. Man knows his demographic.
I am the asshole whisperer. I get insufferable people very well.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 01 Nov 2018, 14:50

If you don't have a skillet or small sauce pot on your stove, ready to go at a moment's notice, then you obviously hate cooking and food and we can't be friends.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Nov 2018, 14:54

Jasper wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 14:50
If you don't have a skillet or small sauce pot on your stove, ready to go at a moment's notice, then you obviously hate cooking and food and we can't be friends.
I keep a skillet on the stove, sometimes two. But storing cookware within arms reach of the stove is cromulent.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 01 Nov 2018, 14:55

dead_elvis wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 17:50
lunchstealer wrote:
I think my wife's favorite floor plan would have two kitchens, one false one for show so that guests can feel like they are hanging out in the kitchen, and the real one secretly located behind a false wall where one of us can actually get the cooking finished without people trying to "help". Want to help? Get a drink and talk to each other, because we said dinner at 6 and it's 5:50 so we're a little busy. See that entire spread of munchy stuff we put out earlier *over there*? Specifically for y'all to eat and congregate around before dinner? But noooooo, you want to be right here in the kitchen...
Oh shit, so it's not just me.

"Do you want any help?"
"No, leave me the fuck alone and stay out of my kitchen. I'll bring you food when it's ready."
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Nov 2018, 15:07

Now see. I always accept the help. "Sure! Dice up a mirepoix. When you're done with that, sweat it in the 10", don't saute. Then you can mise en place the... And stay out!"

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Nov 2018, 16:15

Current tiny house owner is a woman with long, unwashed blonde hair who is converting a school bus into a combo house/studio because she makes hats for a living and travels around selling them at art fairs. I don't know why that's cracking me up SO much.

Why does every tiny house owner announce with SUCH pride that their couch has storage underneath? First, you're like the eight millionth person to do that, so calm down. Second, if your couch is just a cushion on a plywood box, it's not even going to be that comfortable. Finally, if the only way you can get to the storage is by taking off ALL the couch cushions and pillows, that's just going to be a huge pain in the ass you never use. See above: re: why do tiny house people hate having reasonable access to things?

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 01 Nov 2018, 16:20

I wonder if this tiny house craze is the natural reaction to a couple decades of constant mcmansion expansion, the same way seasonal allergies are an overreaction to weird shit in the air.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Nov 2018, 17:15

Ellie wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 16:15
why do tiny house people hate having reasonable access to things?
Speculation -- which is simultaneously off the top of my head and outta my ass (don't spend too much time trying to picture how that works) -- I wonder if, at least in some instances, it's the same personality trait which, in earlier eras, might've made uber-religious types subscribe to the ideas of "mortification?" It was fairly common in medieval Europe: like, instead of proving you're a good Christian via actually helping people who need it -- feed the hungry, care for the sick, provide homes to orphans -- you just make your own self miserable: wear an itchy hair shirt, sprinkle wood ash on your food to ensure you don't derive the tiniest bit of enjoyment from eating it, make a point of kneeling on hard ground to and beyond the point of actual pain, and so forth.

Semi-related: though I cannot find it now, some years ago I recall reading an article -- not about the tiny-house movement per se, but the "hyper-minimalism" movement in general -- the gist of it was, some wealthy people engage in "conspicuous consumption," whereas these folks are engaging in "conspicuous non-consumption" (or rather, conspicuous non-ownership). One specific example I recall in support of this thesis: many of the conspicuously "less is more" types will say things like "Don't save things because you might need them later; discard them, and then if you need it, BUY it." But of course, doing this requires you have the money to buy things when you need them. In today's environment, having "more stuff" is (to an extent) actually cheaper and more affordable than having "less stuff." And, while I don't watch any of the tiny-house shows you do, I get the definite impression that acquiring such a tiny house is actually more costly than a reasonably sized house, over and above such additional expenses as "Feeding yourself and your family is a hell of a lot more expensive, if you haven't room to keep more than a day or two worth of food on hand." Even for someone with an actual "need" for mobility -- such as "I make my living traveling the country to various art fairs and stuff" -- I'm sure that if all you actually want is "something mobile I can live in while traveling, and also have room to store the stuff I sell plus whatever personal living items I need while on the road," there are cheaper AND more convenient options than what the people on those shows are going for.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Nov 2018, 18:14

We also have to keep in mind that most reality shows are 90% fake.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 01 Nov 2018, 21:27

Jasper wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 14:50
No! Give me another chance! There are just so many damn people in this house I have completely ceded the kitchen!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Nov 2018, 15:20

I've run out of episodes of Tiny House, Big Living and have now moved on to Tiny Luxury, a show about an extremely punchable-looking couple from Portland who build tiny houses for a living. Only one season is available on Hulu, which makes me very sad as I feel this will be quite the buffet of hate watching fodder.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Nov 2018, 15:42

Ellie wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 15:20
I've run out of episodes of Tiny House, Big Living and have now moved on to Tiny Luxury, a show about an extremely punchable-looking couple from Portland who build tiny houses for a living. Only one season is available on Hulu, which makes me very sad as I feel this will be quite the buffet of hate watching fodder.
I live with a person who watches this sometimes. Every time they move the trailer out of the construction garage, they make a big show of watching to make sure it doesn't hit the top of the garage door. It never does. Guys you just measured that like 1000 times. Try not to pretend that you're piloting the Titanic through an ice field.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2018, 17:15

lunchstealer wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 15:42
Ellie wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 15:20
I live with a person who watches this sometimes. Every time they move the trailer out of the construction garage, they make a big show of watching to make sure it doesn't hit the top of the garage door. It never does. Guys you just measured that like 1000 times. Try not to pretend that you're piloting the Titanic through an ice field.
Sounds highly punchable.

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Nov 2018, 16:07

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul