Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by JD » 24 Oct 2018, 16:05

lunchstealer wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 19:07
Ellie wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 18:56
- any kind of odor, especially cooking odor, permeates the entire house and lingers (this one would drive me batty so I would have to find a workaround for my fantasy stealth box truck house)
Hell this is why I oppose 'open concept' which it's not a fucking concept but whatever. Cooking is a thing that has lots and lots of consequences, many of which are not protrimental to the things one does in a living room. This goes triple for kitchens without proper vent hoods that exhaust to the outside. Kitchens need doors. Always and forever.
Yeah, my wife is big on the cooking/entertaining crossover, and really liked the open kitchen of our current place. And I do get that sometimes it's nice for the kitchen not to be totally cut off from the rest of the house. Unfortunately, my wife also tends to believe that stoves should only be operated at two levels: "off" and "nuclear blast", so a definite downside of an open kitchen is that you don't just smoke up the kitchen, you smoke up the whole apartment.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Oct 2018, 17:45

Making the whole house smell like my cooking would be a huge plus.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Oct 2018, 19:01

Kolohe wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 12:28
Jennifer wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 18:05
Here's a wheeled tiny house for only $9,500, including microwave oven, flat-screen TV, queen-size bed and similar furnishings. It would make a really cool backyard playhouse for a rich little kid, and if you're the trailer-camping type that's actually cheaper than what most used camper-trailers of similar quality cost -- except that camper-trailers generally have at least some actual cooking capacity beyond a microwave oven. And some fridge/cold-food-storage capacity, whereas this tiny house does not.
I'm always skeptical of the structural integrity while mobile of these things. (even the ones on TV) Actual manufactured RVs and RV trailers have a coherent, integrated design and build for getting up to highway speed without rattling apart. I have no idea how good a structure normally used to static loads can handle dynamic stress.
I've had similar thoughts myself; I suspect some (if not "many") of those tiny-house builders think sticking wheels on a foundation is all that's necessary to make a tiny house into a mobile one. (That said: I've also read that most so-called "mobile homes" aren't really mobile at all -- yeah, you can move them once, very carefully, but they're really NOT designed for a "nomadic" existence -- they're intended to be moved to a certain spot and then stay there forever or until the next brisk windstorm blows them to pieces.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Oct 2018, 19:13

The vast majority of tiny houses are built on wheels so that that they can be classified as an RV instead of a house and thus escape city housing codes that mandate rooms have certain minimum footprints and ceiling heights. The actual usefulness of the wheels is not usually a factor. I think most people just want to park it on their parents' land and play dollhouse with it. People who want to be on the road a lot either go fancy with an actual RV or take the unwashed hippie #vanlife route.

There are a few people I've seen who had jobs that required them to move from one city to the next 2-3 times a year and they wanted towable houses rather than having to pack up and move house that often. But there wasn't any discussion on the show of finding available land with water/power hookups, which is what seems like the biggest hurdle to me.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Oct 2018, 19:25

That makes a lot of sense, I wasn't aware of that.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Oct 2018, 08:12

Warren wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 17:45
Until you made fish or lamb.

The other thing I don't like about open kitchens, which is more of an issue for those with kids, is that you have to keep them clean and picked up all the time. Having random pots, plates, etc. out just makes the whole place look cluttered.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Oct 2018, 10:49

Mo wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 08:12
Warren wrote:
OMG My fish smells divine and my lamb drops panties.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Oct 2018, 10:55

I feel like people are trying to solve a ventilation problem with architectural sadness.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Oct 2018, 10:59

JasonL wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 10:55
I feel like people are trying to solve a ventilation problem with architectural sadness.
I agree. But first you've got to get people to recognize that there is a ventilation problem because all those unhooded stoves on islands are going to give open concept a bad rap.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 25 Oct 2018, 15:27

Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:

The other thing I don't like about open kitchens, which is more of an issue for those with kids, is that you have to keep them clean and picked up all the time. Having random pots, plates, etc. out just makes the whole place look cluttered.
No you don't!

I mean, I can't speak to the kids issue. But my cast iron pan is away. It's away, on top of the stove, where it belongs.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 Oct 2018, 15:55

Having burned through all the available episodes of Tiny House Hunters on Hulu, I've now turned to Tiny House, Big Living, wherein each episode follows the construction of one tiny home (sometimes by a builder and sometimes by the owners themselves). The homeowners are almost all delightfully hateable, from the self-described "sun chaser" whose house had two balconies and a walk-in closet, to the eco-obsessed girl who kept making her builder incorporate used windows and doors from the salvage store even though they didn't fit properly, to these goofballs:
thbl1.png
thbl1.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 180 times
Oh wow, there are a couple hard-to-access cubbies in the room that takes up HALF of your square footage, which is otherwise all windows and blank walls and one tiny Buddha (I assume this is a shout-out to Pham that the tiny house gods are smiling on his plans).

Oh, and I've enjoyed yelling at the MULTIPLE (??!!!) people who think a ladder up to the loft is too practical and put in a rock-climbing wall instead. "We love rock-climbing so much!" Okay, well, I hope you never get a broken wrist or a hernia or anything because you'll be sleeping on your living room floor for six weeks, have fun.

On the other hand, there are some very pleasant things to look at sometimes:
Screenshot 2018-10-23 at 9.45.22 PM.png
Screenshot 2018-10-23 at 9.45.22 PM.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 180 times

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 25 Oct 2018, 16:06

I know my target demographic, ellie. Buddhas for days.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Oct 2018, 16:44

A rock-climbing wall to get in and out of bed? JFC. Even if they're perfectly healthy, sober, injury-free and incapable of considering that ANY of those might ever change, have these people never experienced just -- y'know -- being really fucking tired by the time they go to bed? Or waking up with the sensation "I really really REALLY need to use the bathroom?"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Oct 2018, 20:23

Jennifer wrote:A rock-climbing wall to get in and out of bed? JFC. Even if they're perfectly healthy, sober, injury-free and incapable of considering that ANY of those might ever change, have these people never experienced just -- y'know -- being really fucking tired by the time they go to bed? Or waking up with the sensation "I really really REALLY need to use the bathroom?"
Well then you just get down via the stripper pole like a normal person.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Oct 2018, 20:24

Jadagul wrote:
Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:

No you don't!

I mean, I can't speak to the kids issue. But my cast iron pan is away. It's away, on top of the stove, where it belongs.
Team Falcon
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Oct 2018, 20:26

lunchstealer wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 20:23
Jennifer wrote:A rock-climbing wall to get in and out of bed? JFC. Even if they're perfectly healthy, sober, injury-free and incapable of considering that ANY of those might ever change, have these people never experienced just -- y'know -- being really fucking tired by the time they go to bed? Or waking up with the sensation "I really really REALLY need to use the bathroom?"
Well then you just get down via the stripper pole like a normal person.
You do not want to climb up or slide down a stripper pole when you need to go to the bathroom. Trust me on this one.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Oct 2018, 21:10

lunchstealer wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 20:24
Jadagul wrote:
Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:

No you don't!

Team Falcon
+1

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 25 Oct 2018, 21:42

Ellie wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 15:55
Oh, and I've enjoyed yelling at the MULTIPLE (??!!!) people who think a ladder up to the loft is too practical and put in a rock-climbing wall instead. "We love rock-climbing so much!" Okay, well, I hope you never get a broken wrist or a hernia or anything because you'll be sleeping on your living room floor for six weeks, have fun.
I live in a small house with a narrow, steep, and downright dangerous set of stairs up to the sleeping loft. I haven't yet been so drunk I had to sleep on the main room floor, but it's only a matter of time before it happens.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 Oct 2018, 23:49

Couple in current episode: "We have four cats and a dog, and of course we have our toddler Wyatt, so it's important that the paints and the stains and everything that goes in the house be as nontoxic as possible."

buy a regular house omg

[why they want a tiny house] "Keeping up with a five-acre yard, and keeping up with remodeling the house, you know, we wanted that time to spend with our family instead. I thought, 'There's got to be a better way.'"

BUY A REGULAR HOUSE WITH A SMALLER YARD OMG

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Oct 2018, 01:00

Ellie wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 23:49
Balderdash!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 26 Oct 2018, 10:46

Ellie wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 23:49
Couple in current episode: "We have four cats and a dog, and of course we have our toddler Wyatt, so it's important that the paints and the stains and everything that goes in the house be as nontoxic as possible."

buy a regular house omg

[why they want a tiny house] "Keeping up with a five-acre yard, and keeping up with remodeling the house, you know, we wanted that time to spend with our family instead. I thought, 'There's got to be a better way.'"

Do what everybody in Houston does and pay illegals to mow your grass.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Oct 2018, 11:00

Ellie doing best imaginable marketing for this show as a hate watch. Wasn't on my radar but now I want to hate these people too.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Oct 2018, 12:41

JasonL wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 11:00
Ellie doing best imaginable marketing for this show as a hate watch. Wasn't on my radar but now I want to hate these people too.
1075395.jpg
1075395.jpg (9.94 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Oct 2018, 14:15

Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 20:24
Jadagul wrote:
Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:

No you don't!

Team Falcon
+1
None of you have small children or even Kerry Howley’s kids.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Oct 2018, 14:27

Mo wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 14:15
None of you have small children or even Kerry Howley’s kids.
Check. The assertion here is that after I clean the kitchen, it is in and organized/uncluttered condition, and the skillet is on the front left burner because that is where it belongs.