Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Ellie » 19 Sep 2018, 14:38

YAY! They look great!!!
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 19 Sep 2018, 17:42

Warren wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 13:56
Ellie inspired me to organize our pantry*. She even alerted me to a sale on the Elfa Mesh Easy Gliders.
I love my mod <3<3 <3
Nice!!
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Sep 2018, 20:46

Noice!
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Sep 2018, 22:01

I really like the size of the baskets. They're not full width, but if they were they wouldn't pull out all the way for the door jam. And there's room for large boxes and jars along side. What's great is they're exactly full depth, they go back all the way to the wall. That was the thing about these deep shelves, stuff would migrate to the back, but it was hard to find stuff back there, and you'd have to take stuff out and hold it while you poked around, and then you'd still wind up knocking stuff over. Now I can easily access all the stuff.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 20 Sep 2018, 14:46

Very cool, Warren.

*Jeremiah Johnson Nod*
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Sep 2018, 15:26

Casually browsing houses with the idea that we may purchase next year, and saw this in a house up in the mountains where wildfire is a serious concern.

"Roof 5 years with fire resistant shingles.... Large wood deck surrounded with lush greenery." One of these things defeats the other.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Oct 2018, 19:40

Has anybody ever changed around a front door so the hinges are on the other side? Is it a huge pain in the ass?

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Oct 2018, 19:46

Ellie wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 19:40
Has anybody ever changed around a front door so the hinges are on the other side? Is it a huge pain in the ass?
Of course it's a huge pain in the ass. I mean did you even look at the hinges and think about what it's take?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Oct 2018, 19:51

They look like hinges. Like you just screw them into the wall and it takes five minutes. I suspect my take is not an accurate one, which is why I ask those wiser than I. :lol:

Edit to add: ugh, I realized we'd have to get a new storm door or else the storm door and front door handles would be on opposite sides. NEVER MIND

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Oct 2018, 19:52

Ellie wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 19:40
Yes, it's a huge pain in the ass. Don't do this.

I mean, you're better off buying a whole new door and frame, and hiring a carpenter to take the old one out and put the new one in.

No. Don't try to change the door around.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Oct 2018, 20:16

Thank you!

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Oct 2018, 20:27

Traveller and I are putting the house up for sale. The time of irritating projects, petty annoyances, and sadness draws near ...
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Oct 2018, 20:29

Pham Nuwen wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 20:27
Traveller and I are putting the house up for sale. The time of irritating projects, petty annoyances, and sadness draws near ...
Did you get the pests out?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 05 Oct 2018, 20:45

Warren wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 20:29
Pham Nuwen wrote:
They're a fixture now and pass with the house to the new owner.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Oct 2018, 21:59

Ooh, I want to hear all about the irritating projects! I love that shit! (vicariously)

When are you aiming to put it on the market? Do you know where you will be moving to?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Oct 2018, 02:41

Ellie wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 21:59
Ooh, I want to hear all about the irritating projects! I love that shit! (vicariously)

When are you aiming to put it on the market? Do you know where you will be moving to?
To an apartment for a bit. We've got more than enough equity to pay off the last of her loans and have a good chunk of money left over for our next purchase down the road. I'm thinking an auction next time around.

And to Warren, no. They want to stay til the end of December. Sorry but some wacko just paid 459k for a house way shittier than ours just down the road. Time to sell and bank that sweet sweet equity. Also. Getting a hankering to try avocado toast. It's time to leave this 'burb life yo.

Though for your amusement, I had to explain to Traveller that if we have a good offer in the next few weeks before we even have the house fully ready then we will probably take the offer.

What about [in laws]?
What about them?
They need a place to stay?
What's that got to do with us selling the house?
Well what are they going to do?
Tell them to bring money wherever they end up. They'll need it.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Oct 2018, 02:43

Ellie wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 21:59

Oh. And in the next few weeks. Realtor lady shows up on Wednesday when I'm off so I can bullshit her a bit and let her take pics.

Jake

Post by Jake » 06 Oct 2018, 14:28

I don't know your inlaws, but be very careful about your state's landlord-tenant laws. If the inlaws get shitty and decide that you've illegally evicted them by not giving the legally required notice, you could end up in court.

Sounds crazy, but happens. A lot.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Oct 2018, 14:36

Give them the legally required notice! Upload the "You have been served" video.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Oct 2018, 14:38

Jake wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 14:28
I don't know your inlaws, but be very careful about your state's landlord-tenant laws. If the inlaws get shitty and decide that you've illegally evicted them by not giving the legally required notice, you could end up in court.

Huh. Wife's friend said something along those lines. She used to own rental homes. But she said it's probably not a concern. They haven't paid a dime of rent. Nothing is in their name. No quid pro quo like child watching or lawn care. Not much to establish landlord-tenant relationship.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Oct 2018, 14:51

Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 14:38
Jake wrote:

Huh. Wife's friend said something along those lines. She used to own rental homes. But she said it's probably not a concern. They haven't paid a dime of rent. Nothing is in their name. No quid pro quo like child watching or lawn care. Not much to establish landlord-tenant relationship.
Irrelevant. It's not a question of landlord-tenant. It's a question of residence. In every state I've lived in, if you have established residence (i.e. you've been living in one place), there is a legal procedure that must be followed in order to to evict you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake » 06 Oct 2018, 15:22

Warren wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 14:51
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Jake wrote:

Irrelevant. It's not a question of landlord-tenant. It's a question of residence. In every state I've lived in, if you have established residence (i.e. you've been living in one place), there is a legal procedure that must be followed in order to to evict you.
Warren is absolutely correct; in most states, it's only about whether you've been living somewhere, not whether you've paid any rent whatsoever. Legally, it's almost certain that you actually have a landlord-tenant relationship already. It'd be very much worth looking into local laws to make sure you're not heading toward a situation in which their tenancy ruins a sale, or makes you pay them money, or both.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Oct 2018, 15:30

Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 02:41
Sorry but some wacko just paid 459k for a house way shittier than ours just down the road. Time to sell and bank that sweet sweet equity.
In a similar vein, David and I just realized that in the past year, a couple of the townhomes in our complex have sold for over twice what we owe on the place right now. I sure as hell wouldn't pay that much for one of these houses, but both of them sold quickly, so somebody out there is interested. David and I have been looking at each other going, "Should we try? Do we dare?"

Kinda feels like a win-win attempt, to me. At the expense of a few weeks' crazy work to get everything cleaned up and decluttered, and a few small house projects we were going to do eventually anyway, we'll either sell and end up sitting on a big fat pile of cash that we can use as a down payment for a detached house with a real yard, or we'll give up and stay here like we'd been planning to do anyway and we'll have a cleaner, nicer house in the bargain.

I just can't imagine that whatever fever of insanity is convincing people to pay this much for these townhomes is going to last very long ... but on the other hand, it's 2pm and I'm taking my second nap of the day, so this may be a case where my spirit is willing to get this place cleaned up but my flesh is far too weak. (Stupid fetus, ruining everything.)

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Oct 2018, 17:42

Andrew wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 20:45
Warren wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 20:29
Pham Nuwen wrote:
They're a fixture now and pass with the house to the new owner.
Though isnt that an actual thing in landlord tennant law that has bit people?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Oct 2018, 19:08

Jake wrote:
Warren wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 14:51
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Jake wrote:

Warren is absolutely correct; in most states, it's only about whether you've been living somewhere, not whether you've paid any rent whatsoever. Legally, it's almost certain that you actually have a landlord-tenant relationship already. It'd be very much worth looking into local laws to make sure you're not heading toward a situation in which their tenancy ruins a sale, or makes you pay them money, or both.
You’re lucky in that they probably don’t have any utilities in their name, but you need to file an eviction notice now.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex