Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jun 2018, 17:47

He's got his big black deck deep in the country.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Jun 2018, 18:29

Jesus people. Can we get a NSFW tag here? Some of us are at work.

Deck. Hehe
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jun 2018, 00:03

Highway wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 21:53
Very nice. What material is it? We're thinking about redecking ours, and wondering if the composites have come far enough that they don't fall apart.
Contracted with Lowe's. They use Trex. There are better brands. I've never heard of composites falling apart. They've been around long enough that we know many people that have used them and Mary was absolutely set on composite. No doubt in part because of how shabby the old deck had become (unmaintained for twenty years or more). Lowe's subcontracted the job out, and aside from scheduling a start date and then not showing up, the guys that did the work knew what they were doing. I'm very pleased with the workmanship. Project management was a nightmare. Most glaringly because no measured drawings or bill of materials were created. Construction was halted for several days because there wasn't enough stuff to finish the job. But this has given me some leverage. Our contract specifies the style of railing to be installed and they installed a different style. I told them I'd accept $500 to keep it. We'll see how it plays out. I expect them to take my offer, but if they screw around with me I've got nothing better to do than take them to court. I've got the contract, pictures, messages left on my phone. I think I could walk away with over two grand.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Jun 2018, 08:58

Yeah, our 15-year old wood deck is not terrible, especially compared to some other decks in the neighborhood, but the railing is not something you'd want to run your hand along. But I've been wary of Trex because of multiple complaints of mold / mildew that is uncleanable, surface deterioration, excessive shrinkage, and surface disintegration. So we've been thinking about redoing the deck surface and railing, but I've been putting it off on our list of things to fix (after the roof replacement, and a new car for the wife since hers is close to 20 years old, and probably the kitchen refresh).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Jun 2018, 20:43

Highway wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 08:58
Yeah, our 15-year old wood deck is not terrible, especially compared to some other decks in the neighborhood, but the railing is not something you'd want to run your hand along. But I've been wary of Trex because of multiple complaints of mold / mildew that is uncleanable, surface deterioration, excessive shrinkage, and surface disintegration.
From my googling, those issues were addressed about five years ago. Our deck has a 20 warranty.
The Railing is Fiberon PVC railing. The Fiberon product is pretty straight forward and easy to work with, but the posts wrap a 4x4 pressure treated post that are notched and secured to the deck frame.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 25 Jun 2018, 17:11

I now have a new sump pump in the basement. At least I found out about it because of a tripped breaker, rather than a flooded basement. There was about 6" of freeboard in the sump before it would have flooded, but I think it's probably been at about that level for a long time. Walkout basement wins again!
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Jun 2018, 23:17

I like big STRUTS and I cannot lie!
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 26 Jun 2018, 16:00

The movers are unloading! It’s happening.gif!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Jun 2018, 23:01

Huzzah!
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jun 2018, 23:05

Is there hot water and cold air?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 28 Jun 2018, 14:35

So, in my quest to become a member of the landed gentry again, I'm going to go look at a 15K sq. ft. brick warehouse on a 22K sq. ft. lot. Hopefully it's in good shape so that I can convince in-house counsel that this is the way to go. Then I have to come up with justifications for getting them to knock the price down far enough that it becomes doable.

I have come to realize that what she wants is a nice suburban house plopped down in the middle of the city. This is doable in Houston, but not really at our price point. So I am trying to sell her on alternatives.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 Jun 2018, 14:43

Warren wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 23:05
Is there hot water and cold air?
We had the hot water as of last week and the air here has always been better than the old place so yes. So much unpacking though.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 28 Jun 2018, 15:27

tr0g wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 14:35
So, in my quest to become a member of the landed gentry again, I'm going to go look at a 15K sq. ft. brick warehouse on a 22K sq. ft. lot. Hopefully it's in good shape so that I can convince in-house counsel that this is the way to go. Then I have to come up with justifications for getting them to knock the price down far enough that it becomes doable.

I have come to realize that what she wants is a nice suburban house plopped down in the middle of the city. This is doable in Houston, but not really at our price point. So I am trying to sell her on alternatives.
One story warehouse? Heating/cooling costs? Otherwise, as long as there's off street parking at that bad boy I say that's a pretty ideal situation. You can go as rustic or modern as you like and no one need be the wiser from the outside.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 28 Jun 2018, 15:36

Kwix wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 15:27
tr0g wrote:

One story warehouse? Heating/cooling costs? Otherwise, as long as there's off street parking at that bad boy I say that's a pretty ideal situation. You can go as rustic or modern as you like and no one need be the wiser from the outside.
More like 1-1/2. Interior ceiling is listed as 18 ft. No off street parking, but it's on a dead end and it has a truck dock. It may be possible to park inside. I mean, c'mon, 15k sq. ft. Surely there's 1000 or so square feet that can work as a garage. Heating would be negligible, but cooling may be the deal breaker. Fortunately my architect is a big energy efficiency guy. If anybody can figure out how to cool it cheap, he can.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jun 2018, 15:39

tr0g wrote:
Whoa. I did not realize you were currently renting rather than owning! For some reason I'd thought you guys already owned a house (or at least were paying mortgage rather than rent). Were you un-housed due to Harvey flooding, or was I completely wrong in thinking you were housed (as opposed to apartmented) in the first place?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 28 Jun 2018, 15:44

Jennifer wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 15:39
tr0g wrote:
Whoa. I did not realize you were currently renting rather than owning! For some reason I'd thought you guys already owned a house (or at least were paying mortgage rather than rent). Were you un-housed due to Harvey flooding, or was I completely wrong in thinking you were housed (as opposed to apartmented) in the first place?
We moved out of our house to sell, and rented a house in the city. Sold the house, started looking for property, landlord refused to renew lease, had to move into a new rent house, the other landlord sold the shop out from under us, so we moved all the shop equipment into the house. I've moved entirely too much shit this year, which is one reason a huge warehouse appeals. Move it all in and done forever.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 28 Jun 2018, 19:15

tr0g wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 15:36
Fortunately my architect is a big energy efficiency guy. If anybody can figure out how to cool it cheap, he can.
It can be done, it's just a matter of how much it will cost upfront to insulate that bad boy and put in a nice heat pump. Sounds like you got the plans in the works, Good Luck!
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 02 Jul 2018, 13:01

Well, the warehouse was a bust. The foundation has issues. I wish the guy luck, but somebody is going to have to spend some cash getting that sorted out. The agent was all "A conservative estimate is about $30K to get that fixed" and I flat laughed at him. There's no way you're fixing that for 30 grand. The back and sides of the interior slab slope towards the outside. You've got about a 6-8 inch drop over maybe 8 feet. Whatever's going on under there is bad.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 02 Jul 2018, 20:23

That is...disappointing.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 03 Jul 2018, 10:05

Kwix wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 20:23
That is...disappointing.
Yeah, I had a sad.

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Jul 2018, 09:17

Got new pool pump bonded and hooked up and... The outdoor electrical doesn't work.

I'd give a lot to get rid of this fucking pool. It's just a frog fuck pad atm.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Jul 2018, 09:38

Oog, that sucks. Maybe just a breaker?

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jul 2018, 11:07

Highway wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 09:38
;)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Jul 2018, 12:06

Highway wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 09:38
I've flipped at the panel and no luck. Post and outlets were installed by original owner so that's a possible question mark too.

I'd love to extend the screened in porch and get a new deck and patio/firepit to replace this thing, but I am not made out of money.

Bah. Cleaned garage instead.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jul 2018, 12:09

The garage. Oh man. The garage needs too much attention to even start. The daddy long legs keep every crevice a shit pit too.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT