Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Mo » 26 May 2018, 21:41

I spent 3 days with a heat gun and a brush removing paint from trim when I was in college. Fucking assholes.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 May 2018, 22:38

That's unlike this generation of This Old House. Is this the project in Charleston? (we're an episode or two behind on the DVR)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 May 2018, 22:52

This season is a couple years old, in Arlington. The homeowner was clearly not loving the suggestion but said maybe. I'm not sure if they will go for it or not. I agree that it's very unlike most seasons of TOH!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jake

Post by Jake » 26 May 2018, 23:04

Ellie wrote:
26 May 2018, 21:05
I'm watching an episode of This Old House with an arts and crafts home, and the interior designer just recommended they paint all the detailed wood trim, and OMG I've never hated another human being more
I'm against the death penalty as a matter of principle, buuuut...
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 May 2018, 23:08

when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 May 2018, 00:08

Ellie wrote:
26 May 2018, 22:52
This season is a couple years old, in Arlington. The homeowner was clearly not loving the suggestion but said maybe. I'm not sure if they will go for it or not. I agree that it's very unlike most seasons of TOH!
Although one thing most recent seasons also have, which I dislike, is how a family will pick a timeless, classically beautiful house, and then go with a designer who vomits trendy trendy trend trend all over the interior.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 May 2018, 10:43

Ellie wrote:
26 May 2018, 17:21
My dad appointed himself as the new president of floor installation and will be coming over in a couple weeks to help me. I'll have to take a day off work and also I'm annoyed because I wanted to do it all myself, but I still feel like crap so that's that. Harrumph.

I am considering attempting some repainting of the living room on Monday since we're taking off the baseboards anyway AND since all the flooring is going I don't have to worry about drips and spills. :)
You can resent him taking over the project but you should never resent additional hands.
Re: reapainting the living room. DO IT! You'll never have a better opportunity.
Ellie wrote:
26 May 2018, 19:16
I also may take out some of my frustration by knocking a hole in the living room soffit that I hate to see if anything important is inside it.
I guarantee you will regret this.
Ellie wrote:
26 May 2018, 21:05
I'm watching an episode of This Old House with an arts and crafts home, and the interior designer just recommended they paint all the detailed wood trim, and OMG I've never hated another human being more
*seething* haaaaaate.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 May 2018, 11:24

The soffit appears to be a huge solid piece of wood (hur hur hur) so it must be a support beam. DAMMIT. I hate having this hanging over my head, literally, while I'm sitting on the couch. Why couldn't it be up inside the ceiling like the rest of the wood?

On the flip side, I guess this would make a good hard point if we ever want to convert the living room into a sex dungeon.

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 May 2018, 12:53

Ellie, where are you watching This Old House? We started bingeing and are mostly through what’s on pbs.org.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 May 2018, 12:58

Ellie wrote:
28 May 2018, 11:24
The soffit appears to be a huge solid piece of wood (hur hur hur) so it must be a support beam. DAMMIT. I hate having this hanging over my head, literally, while I'm sitting on the couch. Why couldn't it be up inside the ceiling like the rest of the wood?

On the flip side, I guess this would make a good hard point if we ever want to convert the living room into a sex dungeon.
a house with kids is basically a sexless dungeon.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 May 2018, 14:01

nicole wrote:
28 May 2018, 12:53
Ellie, where are you watching This Old House? We started bingeing and are mostly through what’s on pbs.org.
I'm watching on the ThisOldHouse.com website, which only goes back 4 seasons. Apparently you can get a membership to watch all the seasons which I'm not going to pay for but it does come with a 30-day free trial which I WILL use :)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 May 2018, 14:02

dhex wrote:
28 May 2018, 12:58
Ellie wrote:
28 May 2018, 11:24

a house with kids is basically a sexless dungeon.
It is a great paradox how our lives can be so sexless yet we keep having so many kids.

nicole

Post by nicole » 28 May 2018, 14:14

Ellie wrote:
28 May 2018, 14:01
nicole wrote:
28 May 2018, 12:53
I'm watching on the ThisOldHouse.com website, which only goes back 4 seasons. Apparently you can get a membership to watch all the seasons which I'm not going to pay for but it does come with a 30-day free trial which I WILL use :)
Okay, awesome. PBS only has the latest season so even just the latest four is great. Thanks!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 May 2018, 19:12

I just put a bid on a place to rent today. Fingers crossed. And man do European dryers suck balls.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 May 2018, 19:19

Mo wrote:
29 May 2018, 19:12
I just put a bid on a place to rent today. Fingers crossed. And man do European dryers suck balls.
I hear they're big enough to easily handle up to three socks at a time!

Good luck on getting the flat, though.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Jun 2018, 16:07

Nicely frustrating experience with an electrician today, trying to diagnose why a breaker has tripped two times in the past week without us seemingly doing anything. The current suspect is the sump pump, since it was on the circuit that tripped, it's been rainy, and it's the only thing that would have turned itself on at 2 AM or later, when it tripped. And it is 20 years old, but that means gotta get a plumber out to look at that.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jun 2018, 17:09

Highway wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 16:07
Nicely frustrating experience with an electrician today, trying to diagnose why a breaker has tripped two times in the past week without us seemingly doing anything. The current suspect is the sump pump, since it was on the circuit that tripped, it's been rainy, and it's the only thing that would have turned itself on at 2 AM or later, when it tripped. And it is 20 years old, but that means gotta get a plumber out to look at that.
Really? I've never had to do with a sump pump. But I'd have thought replacing one was pretty straight forward.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Jun 2018, 17:34

It probably is straightforward, but I'm really not interested in cutting pipe, lifting heavy things out of a hole, getting pipe put back to gether, or futzing with it in general. Because it's straightforward, it's a fairly small cost window to have it replaced.

I'm more likely to deal with electricity than plumbing. Electricity I understand better, and am better acquainted with the downsides.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jun 2018, 21:08

New Deck
Rear Deck.jpg
Rear Deck.jpg (245.99 KiB) Viewed 245 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Jun 2018, 21:53

Very nice. What material is it? We're thinking about redecking ours, and wondering if the composites have come far enough that they don't fall apart.

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Jun 2018, 08:36

Nice looking deck.

I'm hoping the pool which we haven't opened yet gets a rip or something so I can tear it down and build some kind of patio firepit thing in its place. Hoping is a strong term more like I hate pool care.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jun 2018, 12:03

dhex wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 08:36
Nice looking deck.

I'm hoping the pool which we haven't opened yet gets a rip or something so I can tear it down and build some kind of patio firepit thing in its place. Hoping is a strong term more like I hate pool care.
Be the change you wish to see in the world?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jake

Post by Jake » 23 Jun 2018, 16:15

Jesus, Warren. I'm all for free speech, but unsolicited deck pics? Not cool, man. Not cool.

;)
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Jun 2018, 16:30

Jake wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 16:15
Jesus, Warren. I'm all for free speech, but unsolicited deck pics? Not cool, man. Not cool.

;)
PM me your deck, guuuuuuurrlll
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Jun 2018, 17:43

Jake wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 16:15

;)
Well, he's got a big black deck, of course he's proud of it