Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
nicole

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by nicole » 29 Nov 2017, 10:56

We finally put the window plastic up for the winter and my office has warmed up by 5 degrees in less than an hour.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Nov 2017, 10:58

nicole wrote:We finally put the window plastic up for the winter and my office has warmed up by 5 degrees in less than an hour.
That sounds horrible. Every offices I deal with is always too warm.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Nov 2017, 11:02

Highway wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 10:58
nicole wrote:We finally put the window plastic up for the winter and my office has warmed up by 5 degrees in less than an hour.
Well, this is in my apartment so it's different from that kind of office.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Nov 2017, 11:03

My life plans include never living anywhere that requires window plastic.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Nov 2017, 11:26

Highway wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 10:58
Really? Everywhere I go is too cold.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Nov 2017, 11:29

JasonL wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 11:03
If that means having good windows that don't leak then yes. If that means living in a location where the weather doesn't get really cold, I understand what you're saying, but you're missing out on a couple things I consider "life enhancing".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Nov 2017, 11:37

Warren wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 11:29
JasonL wrote:
If that means having good windows that don't leak then yes. If that means living in a location where the weather doesn't get really cold, I understand what you're saying, but you're missing out on a couple things I consider "life enhancing".
Exactly. Well, not exactly, because I never want to live somewhere less cold than here.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 29 Nov 2017, 11:44

nicole wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 11:37
Exactly. Well, not exactly, because I never want to live somewhere less cold than here.
Strange, I never want to live anywhere colder than here.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Nov 2017, 11:59

I like 4 seasons. Winter cold is fine. Shit windows are not.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Nov 2017, 16:02

Warren wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 11:29
JasonL wrote:
Specifically, "Not being in Florida"
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Nov 2017, 16:03

tr0g wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 11:44
nicole wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 11:37
Strange, I never want to live anywhere colder than here.
But less bog-awful humid, right?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 29 Nov 2017, 16:20

nicole wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 10:56
We finally put the window plastic up for the winter and my office has warmed up by 5 degrees in less than an hour.
Yeah, we have to finish that up at home. Not only are our walls and windows horrendous un-insulated pieces of crap, but we directly pay for our own heating, too. This year we're putting up double layers of the plastic sheeting.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Dec 2017, 23:06

so old furnace died and nearly took us with it (was leaking and creating carbon monoxide underneath the crawlspace. also was installed incorrectly because hillbilly diy is the fucking best)

goddamn heat pumps are expensive. replacing the furnace is much less so, but also less efficient.

dunno if we'll save the 5k ish diff in efficiency over the 10-15 years the heat pump will live for.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Dec 2017, 23:10

dhex wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 23:06
so old furnace died and nearly took us with it (was leaking and creating carbon monoxide underneath the crawlspace. also was installed incorrectly because hillbilly diy is the fucking best)

goddamn heat pumps are expensive. replacing the furnace is much less so, but also less efficient.

dunno if we'll save the 5k ish diff in efficiency over the 10-15 years the heat pump will live for.
Geezus. How many square feet you have to HVAC? I'm assuming there's two floors.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Dec 2017, 23:30

2 floors approx 2700 Sq ft
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Dec 2017, 23:37

If you have natural gas supply, then I'd go for the furnace. I've never been happy when I've lived with a heat pump only. Does it get by? Yeah, but you're always kinda "eh", and if you want to turn the "emergency heat" on even once a year, you pretty much killed your efficiency gain.

If its propane or oil, and you could get rid of the propane or oil tank, that's a little different story, just cause they can be a pain to have around, but I still go furnace over heat pump only.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Dec 2017, 00:16

Highway wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 23:37
Does it get by? Yeah, but you're always kinda "eh", and if you want to turn the "emergency heat" on even once a year, you pretty much killed your efficiency gain.
It's possible to use gas as your "emergency heat". We were using electric heat before we got the heat pump. Even when the "emergency heat" kicks in, the new furnace is more efficient than the old one.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Dec 2017, 08:08

We have propane. Only option.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Dec 2017, 10:28

closely reading the six configurations in this proposal, the choices are furnace replacement only (ac and furnace units all are 10-11 years old, so near end of life in some cases), furnace + ac replacement, or furnace + heat pump replacements.

i'm trying to beat deadlines as well as figure this out from half a country away because of course the fucking thing dies while i'm away and there's no heat in the lower half of the house.

home ownership is fucking stupid. i regret it immensely.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 12 Dec 2017, 10:39

dhex wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 08:08
We have propane. Only option.
Hank Hill Approved.™
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Dec 2017, 10:47

dhex wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 10:28
closely reading the six configurations in this proposal, the choices are furnace replacement only (ac and furnace units all are 10-11 years old, so near end of life in some cases), furnace + ac replacement, or furnace + heat pump replacements.

i'm trying to beat deadlines as well as figure this out from half a country away because of course the fucking thing dies while i'm away and there's no heat in the lower half of the house.

home ownership is fucking stupid. i regret it immensely.
We went with the furnace + AC replacement, because they were the same age (15 years). We were more proactive, probably could have gotten another year out of the furnace, but there was rusting in the combustion chamber, which if it broke through would have led to CO in the house. But we were able to replace them in early April, when there wasn't much demand, so sorry that you've got crappy circumstances.

Personally I'd go for the same again: Furnace + AC replacement.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Dec 2017, 11:30

the only benefit the heat pump offers (cost difference is under 500 for heat pump versus equivalent AC) is the savings on propane for those months where we'd normally run the furnace but would instead have heat pump going e.g. above 32 degrees.

my wife is a cold person with no human blood #icke so we generally keep things at 68 during colder months and 78 during warmer months. propane prices are probably just going to keep climbing north of $2 so there's the potential for a few hundred saved per year depending on how cold it actually gets.

fuck math. fuck home ownership. fuck the world. burn it all. #maga

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Dec 2017, 11:34

I have no useful information regarding home heating systems (except to echo Highway's "do NOT rely exclusively on a heat pump for home heating" dictum--that's what we had in Loudoun, and it sucked)--I just want to say I'm damned glad the carbon moxoxide output didn't get y'all. How did you learn of it -- a CO detector going off?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Dec 2017, 11:51

dhex wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 11:30
the only benefit the heat pump offers (cost difference is under 500 for heat pump versus equivalent AC) is the savings on propane for those months where we'd normally run the furnace but would instead have heat pump going e.g. above 32 degrees.

my wife is a cold person with no human blood #icke so we generally keep things at 68 during colder months and 78 during warmer months. propane prices are probably just going to keep climbing north of $2 so there's the potential for a few hundred saved per year depending on how cold it actually gets.

fuck math. fuck home ownership. fuck the world. burn it all. #maga
If the cost difference is that close, then I'd think it worthwhile to do the heat pump, and then not worry about making up the costs in fuel.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Dec 2017, 11:52

burning plastic smell in house alerted us to co issue. we'd turned off the heat on the first floor and it subsided, and then hvac guy confirmed it.

hp+furnace it is...bleh. almost done being butthurt about this.