Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21513
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Warren » 23 Jul 2017, 16:42

I like hardwood floors. I hate cheapo veneer floors. I don't have a problem with wall to wall carpet as a concept, but if you go that route you need best of breed. Trampled down cheapo carpeting is shit and harder to cover with area rugs because they walk away from where you put them.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 530
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by dead_elvis » 23 Jul 2017, 17:47

My beef with carpeting is that in order to keep it clean you can't enjoy it. When I was growing up we had nice beautiful new carpets installed, but my parents covered the walkways with plastic runners, so you're just walking on plastic. Or some people go the route of shoes off in the house, which I'm happy to respect in other peoples' homes but would drive me bonkers on a daily basis and I would never be able to keep it up.

ETA: though I am grateful that so many homes installed them in the 60s and 70s (50s? not sure), thus preserving in excellent conditions many beautiful hardwood floors. Got lucky that way with our first house back in the day.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12081
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Highway » 23 Jul 2017, 18:23

Most people just accept that carpets get worn and stained. It happens. Wood floors get worn and stained and scratched up too. Vinyl has the seams come up, tile discolors, grout comes up. Floors wear.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9326
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Sandy » 23 Jul 2017, 18:36

Things fall apart, the center cannot hold, and if the installer frays a line to your outdoor unit, rain will cause a short and leave you without AC.

With careful power management, it's only up to 83 in the house, so Yay insulation.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21513
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Warren » 23 Jul 2017, 19:01

Sandy wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:36
Things fall apart, the center cannot hold, and if the installer frays a line to your outdoor unit, rain will cause a short and leave you without AC.

With careful power management, it's only up to 83 in the house, so Yay insulation.
Come again?
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9326
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Sandy » 23 Jul 2017, 19:09

My outdoor unit has shorted out because of a frayed wire. Bad install, and since it needs a whole new wire, it won't be until tomorrow. But keeping devices with a lot of waste heat off has kept the inside from roasting.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21513
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Warren » 23 Jul 2017, 19:11

*sigh*
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17384
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 24 Jul 2017, 01:42

Highway wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:23
Most people just accept that carpets get worn and stained. It happens. Wood floors get worn and stained and scratched up too. Vinyl has the seams come up, tile discolors, grout comes up. Floors wear.
But solid wood floors can be sanded and restained virtually forever.

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12081
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Highway » 24 Jul 2017, 07:11

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 01:42
Highway wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:23
Most people just accept that carpets get worn and stained. It happens. Wood floors get worn and stained and scratched up too. Vinyl has the seams come up, tile discolors, grout comes up. Floors wear.
But solid wood floors can be sanded and restained virtually forever.
If you're doing the whole thing, that's a comparable level of effort to putting new carpet down. Floors are wearing surfaces. They eventually need repair or replacement, and before that they'll look less than perfect.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2631
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by pistoffnick » 24 Jul 2017, 09:37

The deck is completely rebuilt! No more falling through the boards when I'm flipping burgers.

The rails aren't to code (There shall be no gap such that a 4" diameter ball can fit though). But I don't care, my kids aren't likely to get their heads stuck and I like the openness better for shoveling snow off.

I still need to seal the wood, install lighting, and build a sliding gate to keep the dogs in and the bears out.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9326
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Sandy » 24 Jul 2017, 09:43

Warren wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 19:11
*sigh*
¿Que?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14487
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2017, 16:00

Sandy wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 09:43
Warren wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 19:11
*sigh*
¿Que?
My guess is he's being an EE, and is upset when people say 'short', which specifically means a live wire going directly to ground, when most people mean something else like loose/broken wire. A short will cause arcing, possibly a fire.

In a related note, I may have accidentally suggested to the erstwhile surly teen that his problems installing the battery may be due to having the positive and negative leads reversed. When he tried to switch them and the alternator let out all its magic smoke, I learned that this was not the case. I gave him the cash for a new alternator. Looks like that was the only damage - there are advantages to pre-computer cars.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7384
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by nicole » 24 Jul 2017, 16:25

dead_elvis wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 17:47
My beef with carpeting is that in order to keep it clean you can't enjoy it. When I was growing up we had nice beautiful new carpets installed, but my parents covered the walkways with plastic runners, so you're just walking on plastic. Or some people go the route of shoes off in the house, which I'm happy to respect in other peoples' homes but would drive me bonkers on a daily basis and I would never be able to keep it up.

ETA: though I am grateful that so many homes installed them in the 60s and 70s (50s? not sure), thus preserving in excellent conditions many beautiful hardwood floors. Got lucky that way with our first house back in the day.
I'm a shoes-off maniac (raised that way) but uh it's not like hardwood floors don't get dirty?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 20286
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jennifer » 24 Jul 2017, 16:33

nicole wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 16:25
dead_elvis wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 17:47
My beef with carpeting is that in order to keep it clean you can't enjoy it. When I was growing up we had nice beautiful new carpets installed, but my parents covered the walkways with plastic runners, so you're just walking on plastic. Or some people go the route of shoes off in the house, which I'm happy to respect in other peoples' homes but would drive me bonkers on a daily basis and I would never be able to keep it up.

ETA: though I am grateful that so many homes installed them in the 60s and 70s (50s? not sure), thus preserving in excellent conditions many beautiful hardwood floors. Got lucky that way with our first house back in the day.
I'm a shoes-off maniac (raised that way) but uh it's not like hardwood floors don't get dirty?
Sure, but carpet is a lot harder to clean.

One thing I disliked about the place I had in Virginia (though not exclusive to it; this is a common design failing in many homes) is that the patio door leading to the backyard had wall-to-wall carpet in front of it. So if you come in from the backyard with dusty or muddy shoes, you step directly onto carpeting, rather than onto some surface which can be swept clean.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9326
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Sandy » 24 Jul 2017, 16:47

lunchstealer wrote:
Sandy wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 09:43
Warren wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 19:11
*sigh*
¿Que?
My guess is he's being an EE, and is upset when people say 'short', which specifically means a live wire going directly to ground, when most people mean something else like loose/broken wire. A short will cause arcing, possibly a fire.

In a related note, I may have accidentally suggested to the erstwhile surly teen that his problems installing the battery may be due to having the positive and negative leads reversed. When he tried to switch them and the alternator let out all its magic smoke, I learned that this was not the case. I gave him the cash for a new alternator. Looks like that was the only damage - there are advantages to pre-computer cars.
It did arc, and instantly tripped the circuit breaker. Not sure how that's not a short.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14487
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2017, 16:51

Sandy wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 16:47
lunchstealer wrote:
Sandy wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 09:43
Warren wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 19:11
*sigh*
¿Que?
My guess is he's being an EE, and is upset when people say 'short', which specifically means a live wire going directly to ground, when most people mean something else like loose/broken wire. A short will cause arcing, possibly a fire.

In a related note, I may have accidentally suggested to the erstwhile surly teen that his problems installing the battery may be due to having the positive and negative leads reversed. When he tried to switch them and the alternator let out all its magic smoke, I learned that this was not the case. I gave him the cash for a new alternator. Looks like that was the only damage - there are advantages to pre-computer cars.
It did arc, and instantly tripped the circuit breaker. Not sure how that's not a short.
The truth matters not to an EE on a mission.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 530
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by dead_elvis » 24 Jul 2017, 17:53

nicole wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 16:25


I'm a shoes-off maniac (raised that way) but uh it's not like hardwood floors don't get dirty?
I think for the same size and use, sweeping hardwood is easier and ends up more clean than vacuuming carpet. I also think it's way easier/better results cleaning beverage/food stains.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14487
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2017, 18:11

dead_elvis wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 17:53
nicole wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 16:25


I'm a shoes-off maniac (raised that way) but uh it's not like hardwood floors don't get dirty?
I think for the same size and use, sweeping hardwood is easier and ends up more clean than vacuuming carpet. I also think it's way easier/better results cleaning beverage/food stains.
This goes triple if you have pets.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14487
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2017, 18:12

The solution of course is to have hardwoods with cheap rugs and carpets in traffic areas and so forth. These are to be considered disposable.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 530
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by dead_elvis » 24 Jul 2017, 18:21

lunchstealer wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 18:11
dead_elvis wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 17:53
nicole wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 16:25


I'm a shoes-off maniac (raised that way) but uh it's not like hardwood floors don't get dirty?
I think for the same size and use, sweeping hardwood is easier and ends up more clean than vacuuming carpet. I also think it's way easier/better results cleaning beverage/food stains.
This goes triple if you have pets.
And yet dogs are a sure fire way to ruin hardwood floors. Or is that avoidable if you clip nails often enough?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 9775
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Ellie » 24 Jul 2017, 18:26

Obviously the only real solution is a return to dirt floors. They can never get (more) dirty.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 7384
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by nicole » 24 Jul 2017, 18:44

lunchstealer wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 18:12
The solution of course is to have hardwoods with cheap rugs and carpets in traffic areas and so forth. These are to be considered disposable.
Yeah this is me.

I don't think Sam's nails have affected the floors but they're also not in the best shape to begin with.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14487
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2017, 19:05

Ellie wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 18:26
Obviously the only real solution is a return to dirt floors. They can never get (more) dirty.

Painted concrete. Fucked up? Paint it. Don't like the color? Paint it.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14487
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jul 2017, 19:12

dead_elvis wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 18:21
lunchstealer wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 18:11
dead_elvis wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 17:53
nicole wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 16:25


I'm a shoes-off maniac (raised that way) but uh it's not like hardwood floors don't get dirty?
I think for the same size and use, sweeping hardwood is easier and ends up more clean than vacuuming carpet. I also think it's way easier/better results cleaning beverage/food stains.
This goes triple if you have pets.
And yet dogs are a sure fire way to ruin hardwood floors. Or is that avoidable if you clip nails often enough?
Ellie said this more eloquently, but dogs are the epitome of "This is why we can't have nice things. And should not even try."
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 21513
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Warren » 24 Jul 2017, 19:16

lunchstealer wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 16:51
Sandy wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 16:47
lunchstealer wrote:
Sandy wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 09:43
Warren wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 19:11
*sigh*
¿Que?
My guess is he's being an EE, and is upset when people say 'short', which specifically means a live wire going directly to ground, when most people mean something else like loose/broken wire. A short will cause arcing, possibly a fire.

In a related note, I may have accidentally suggested to the erstwhile surly teen that his problems installing the battery may be due to having the positive and negative leads reversed. When he tried to switch them and the alternator let out all its magic smoke, I learned that this was not the case. I gave him the cash for a new alternator. Looks like that was the only damage - there are advantages to pre-computer cars.
It did arc, and instantly tripped the circuit breaker. Not sure how that's not a short.
The truth matters not to an EE on a mission.
Actually, I was being quite literary. A reference returned to Sandy which I thought perhaps he alone would get.

On the other matter, a short can exist between any two points, not necessarily to ground. Though it is common to say "it's shorted" to mean "it's shorted to ground".
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests