Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Jul 2017, 14:23

JasonL wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 13:48
lunchstealer wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 13:42
Our garage is now full-hoarder again, but because we've gotten a bunch of useless/awful furniture out of the basement now.

After I do a bulk trash pickup, we'll only have the laundry room and my office in bad shape.

I'm still contemplating a full dumpster rather than going the bagster-plus-bulk-pickup route.
Full dumpster if you are doing bulk. Bagster doesn't get you anything.
The bagster would be for the hoard of yard trash and broken down cardboard boxes. Everything else can be done with a 'bulky item pickup'. I'll be calling Waste Management to see what the relative breakpoints are.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 27 Jul 2017, 15:05

nicole wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 14:01
It doesn't help that it's a pain in the ass to throw shit away. I have a pile of electronic shit that I'm like...what the fuck do I do with this. Get it out. I am happy to sort and make piles and let go of stuff but I need the Kondo angel to take it away.
Call me a bad human, but the city of Houston makes it such a pain in the ass, I just dumped a whole bunch of electronics in the regular trash.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Jul 2017, 15:26

tr0g wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 15:05
nicole wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 14:01
It doesn't help that it's a pain in the ass to throw shit away. I have a pile of electronic shit that I'm like...what the fuck do I do with this. Get it out. I am happy to sort and make piles and let go of stuff but I need the Kondo angel to take it away.
Call me a bad human, but the city of Houston makes it such a pain in the ass, I just dumped a whole bunch of electronics in the regular trash.
Yeah I constantly consider this.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Jul 2017, 16:25

As far as I can tell, Best Buy's reason for existence is electronics recycling in bulk with no questions asked.

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Jul 2017, 19:45

Yeah, I save it until I have a pile, and then take it to the county landfill where they accept it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 28 Jul 2017, 03:56

We have electronics recycling, but it's only on Saturdays and Mondays for limited hours.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 28 Jul 2017, 10:37

I prefer to just go ahead and horde old the electronics. If anyone here needs a particular bezel from a 2006 macbook or an old dead router, I'm your guy. Will trade for 12" G4 Powerbook AC adapter.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 28 Jul 2017, 13:21

dead_elvis wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 10:37
I prefer to just go ahead and horde old the electronics. If anyone here needs a particular bezel from a 2006 macbook or an old dead router, I'm your guy. Will trade for 12" G4 Powerbook AC adapter.
I was able to do this until I needed to consolidate two households. So I got rid of basically every other one. (Have the C64, Compaq lugaable, but no more XT, PS2, or Gateway first gen Pentium)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 28 Jul 2017, 13:29

Kolohe wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 13:21
Have the C64, Compaq lugaable,
Sweet!
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Jul 2017, 17:18

Fuck. Our stupid split level house has had shitty AC for years. Part of it was shitty circulation. I assumed this was just due to age and cheapness - this was never a high-end home to begin with.

I went to change the filter today, and found that my previous filter had fallen out of its slot and was sitting down at the bottom of the return system. It's a weird and crappy setup for it, where it sits diagonally across the vent way, with one edge resting on a lip, and the other just leaning against the wall of the housing, otherwise unsupported. So it's not super surprising that one could come dislodged somehow.

So when I reached in to retrieve it, I found a second one, that had been pulled halfway into the blower housing in such a way that it was completely covering that opening, too. It had been there so long that it was completely solid with dirt. There were no obvious pore spaces for air to pass through at all. Removing it has significantly improved overall circulation in the house. Not sure it will ever be good, per se, but should be way less shitty now.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Aug 2017, 09:31

JasonL wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 11:33
Warren wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 10:58
@JasonL
How goes The Purge?
Real progress for 2 consecutive weeks. Week 1 saw the liberation of more floor space than I've ever seen liberated in my marriage. We are abandoning the number of boxes metric in favor of sectioning off piles we agree will be gone. Bags or piles of paper and magazines.

It's about consistency now. If we can pound at this rate for say 8 more weeks we will be in liberated basement liberated 3rd bedroom and nearly ready to paint territory. 2 weeks is something but week 5 or so is where all the drama will be.
Yup. Hit a wall last week. The bargaining phase has begun. Half of agreed amount was disposed of and the process wasn't started until 10:00 pm night before garbage day. If that first big weekend was successful removal of X. The second week and third weeks were lower commitments of 1/2X and some of second commitment rolled into third week and now only half of that. Blow up this morning. I'm furious. No lie.

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Aug 2017, 09:36

It's armchair analysis, so take of it what you will, but has she ever thought of maybe some kind of therapy for what seems to be overattachment to this stuff, or at least some kind of anxiety about it?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Aug 2017, 09:43

There's a very large "therapy is for soft people" hurdle to overcome there. She doesn't think it's bad for anyone else to do it but they are not her kinda thing.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Aug 2017, 10:28

Is it really an attachment thing do you think or is it just like, the most boring chore of all time and no one wants to do it?

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Aug 2017, 10:30

JasonL wrote:There's a very large "therapy is for soft people" hurdle to overcome there. She doesn't think it's bad for anyone else to do it but they are not her kinda thing.
Understood. It certainly seems like an anxiety thing, since I've never gotten the impression that she's just generally lazy. But it can definitely be a blow to the self esteem that you are "weak" or "soft" and can't deal with something.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Aug 2017, 10:54

nicole wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 10:28
Is it really an attachment thing do you think or is it just like, the most boring chore of all time and no one wants to do it?
There's anxiety from a couple of angles. First, she doesn't like the notion of trash. That is, throwing things in the actual trash makes her feel like she's wasteful or something. The recycling bin really helps there as an alternative to filling up the earth with unused waste. So first, we need to make everything not trash per se. Corollary to this is a magazine you haven't finished is being somehow wasted and not used and that's bad so keep them forever. Second, she has to review every piece of paper before consigning it to a bin. She doesn't do this on an ongoing basis which makes the piles large which makes the anxiety about how will I ever get through that pile large and so on. It freaks her the fck out when I just throw everything away. I see piles and piles of just trash that can have no possible value. She sees the potential for something she overlooked or forgot about. At earlier phases of this she has literally taken things I threw away back out of the trash. That means when she cleans it's 100X more difficult and slow. Finally, she's obsessive about eliminating anything with our name and address on it, so you have to shred or tear off all that stuff from every piece of paper. One of the great mysteries to me is i got a good Brother shredder that can handle decent volume but she insists on using the little crappy one. I have no idea why she doesn't like the good shredder.

The net of all this she can't stand it when I throw things away (i mean papers here) so she has to be the one to do it yet her psychology makes the task unbelievably slow and tedious and you never see results with new stuff coming in all the time.

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Aug 2017, 11:15

Is there a component of not trusting your judgment about whether things are not necessary to review? Like she can't let you decide if something is junk mail? Or will she at least make quick decisions about the obvious mail?

A wildassed guess about the shredders is that she might feel she loses too much control / has too much time pressure with the faster shredder. So she uses the slow one as kind of a shield / excuse to keep the pace down.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Aug 2017, 11:17

JasonL wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 10:54
nicole wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 10:28
There's anxiety from a couple of angles. First, she doesn't like the notion of trash. That is, throwing things in the actual trash makes her feel like she's wasteful or something. The recycling bin really helps there as an alternative to filling up the earth with unused waste. So first, we need to make everything not trash per se. Corollary to this is a magazine you haven't finished is being somehow wasted and not used and that's bad so keep them forever. Second, she has to review every piece of paper before consigning it to a bin. She doesn't do this on an ongoing basis which makes the piles large which makes the anxiety about how will I ever get through that pile large and so on. It freaks her the fck out when I just throw everything away. I see piles and piles of just trash that can have no possible value. She sees the potential for something she overlooked or forgot about. At earlier phases of this she has literally taken things I threw away back out of the trash. That means when she cleans it's 100X more difficult and slow. Finally, she's obsessive about eliminating anything with our name and address on it, so you have to shred or tear off all that stuff from every piece of paper. One of the great mysteries to me is i got a good Brother shredder that can handle decent volume but she insists on using the little crappy one. I have no idea why she doesn't like the good shredder.

The net of all this she can't stand it when I throw things away (i mean papers here) so she has to be the one to do it yet her psychology makes the task unbelievably slow and tedious and you never see results with new stuff coming in all the time.
I actually have a lot of that problem with the paper parts. I've got large stacks of old paper that I'd really like to dispose of securely because it's got a lot of ID-theif stuff. I keep thinking of just loading it into a couple boxes and taking it to Iron Mountain, or otherwise finding a way to burn it safely. I have an acceptable moderately-high-capacity shredder but it's not super fantastic and that's a slow process and I'm really bad about shredding on an ongoing basis. I probably just need to accept that all that is in some database on the dark web and ID thieves could pretty much start using it whenever, but I'm still undecided.

But paper can be the last part. I've got a lot of old clothes and shitty flatpack furniture and electronics that need to be trashed so the paper can wait until I've dealt with that.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Aug 2017, 12:57

lunchstealer wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 11:17
I actually have a lot of that problem with the paper parts. I've got large stacks of old paper that I'd really like to dispose of securely because it's got a lot of ID-theif stuff. I keep thinking of just loading it into a couple boxes and taking it to Iron Mountain, or otherwise finding a way to burn it safely. I have an acceptable moderately-high-capacity shredder but it's not super fantastic and that's a slow process and I'm really bad about shredding on an ongoing basis. I probably just need to accept that all that is in some database on the dark web and ID thieves could pretty much start using it whenever, but I'm still undecided.
The UPS store will shred for a dollar a pound. This saved me tens of hours of time and probably the motor on my tiny shredder.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 09 Aug 2017, 12:24

I'm a bit of the saver and my wife is the thrower-awayer. The strategy my wife and I have fallen into is that periodic declutterings result in throwing lots of papers and receipts and old mail into a bag which I don't feel like dealing with so it gets thrown in a closet. If several years have gone by and I didn't need anything in it, I'm ok with throwing it, or if I'm feeling security conscious and don't feel like spending an hour at the shredder, it's starter paper for a fire.

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Aug 2017, 12:33

JasonL wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 16:25
As far as I can tell, Best Buy's reason for existence is electronics recycling in bulk with no questions asked.
I finally looked into this and as I expected Best Buys do not do this in the city.

Fortunately Evanston is not far away.

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Aug 2017, 17:17

omg we're house-hunting

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Aug 2017, 17:22

Omg

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 Aug 2017, 17:45

nicole wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 17:17
omg we're house-hunting
It's a surprise? "So I thought I'd go out to the 7-11 for some chips, but all of a sudden I'm house hunting?!??!!?!"

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Aug 2017, 18:02

Highway wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 17:45
nicole wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 17:17
omg we're house-hunting
It's a surprise? "So I thought I'd go out to the 7-11 for some chips, but all of a sudden I'm house hunting?!??!!?!"
You want to get a pizza?
No, I'm not in the mood for pizza.
Chinese?
No.
How bout a neo-Victorian three bedroom two and a half bath on a quarter acre lot?
That's it! That's just what I want.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT