Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Jul 2017, 02:01

Highway wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 07:11
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 01:42
Highway wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:23
Most people just accept that carpets get worn and stained. It happens. Wood floors get worn and stained and scratched up too. Vinyl has the seams come up, tile discolors, grout comes up. Floors wear.
But solid wood floors can be sanded and restained virtually forever.
If you're doing the whole thing, that's a comparable level of effort to putting new carpet down. Floors are wearing surfaces. They eventually need repair or replacement, and before that they'll look less than perfect.
Real wood flooring will probably last the life of the house or longer, being a common salvage item. I've walked on floors that probably date back before 1800 and of course they're obviously worn, but old flooring is like old houses in general and has a charm no wall to wall carpet can match. Sure, sanding and staining a wood floor is work, probably more work that installing carpet, but I wouldn't be doing either myself and I think wood floors look vastly better than carpet. To each his own.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Jul 2017, 10:50

There are very good quality engineered products with surfaces that can be sanded 4-5 times. They look really nice. I just didn't happen to get one of those because dollars. Mine is thin and soft.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jul 2017, 11:44

I grew up in a house with cork flooring. That stuff is the market bar none. Needs waxing every five years or so, which is probably why you don't see them much.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Jul 2017, 14:44

I like bamboo.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 25 Jul 2017, 15:19

Warren wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 11:44
I grew up in a house with cork flooring. That stuff is the market bar none. Needs waxing every five years or so, which is probably why you don't see them much.
I had a friend rent a house with cork floors in the kitchen and there was an issue with water damage. Not sure if the problem was that that type of floor is a bad choice for kitchen, or if it wasn't sealed properly, but I wasn't left with a good impression.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jul 2017, 16:21

dead_elvis wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 15:19
Warren wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 11:44
I had a friend rent a house with cork floors in the kitchen and there was an issue with water damage. Not sure if the problem was that that type of floor is a bad choice for kitchen, or if it wasn't sealed properly, but I wasn't left with a good impression.
The kitchen seems an odd choice for cork. Ours was in the living/dining room. I'm sure the occasional drink got spilled on it, but it would have been mopped up right away. The nice thing about it was the comfort on your tootsies. Not too hard, not too cold, nice to walk on. One thing, every furniture leg needed a coaster to keep it from denting the floor.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 25 Jul 2017, 19:02

So, been having AC problems. Not my tab for the repair, because, hey, rental! They replaced the outside unit (manufacture date 11/87. Owner got their money's worth on that piece) and that didn't solve it so they came back and replaced the evaporator coils today. So I get home, and the thermostat is obstinately sitting at 79. Hmm. House seems cooler than that. Let's dig out the IR thermometer.

Every surface I check is between 73 and 76. Except the thermostat itself. The walls around it? 75. The thermostat? 79. What the ridiculous fuck? There's no way that thing should be running 4 degrees hotter than ambient just sitting there on the wall. So tomorrow I'll replace the thermostat and see what that gets me.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jul 2017, 19:14

tr0g wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 19:02
So, been having AC problems. Not my tab for the repair, because, hey, rental! They replaced the outside unit (manufacture date 11/87. Owner got their money's worth on that piece) and that didn't solve it so they came back and replaced the evaporator coils today. So I get home, and the thermostat is obstinately sitting at 79. Hmm. House seems cooler than that. Let's dig out the IR thermometer.

Every surface I check is between 73 and 76. Except the thermostat itself. The walls around it? 75. The thermostat? 79. What the ridiculous fuck? There's no way that thing should be running 4 degrees hotter than ambient just sitting there on the wall. So tomorrow I'll replace the thermostat and see what that gets me.
If the house got into the 80's and then they turned on the AC it's entirely possible the wall the thermostat is on hasn't cooled down yet. Another thing is if it has a light. I've had a few thermostats (including the one I have now) that heat up if you turn the light on. I don't understand the reason for that, the light is an LED which draws very little power and puts out very little heat. Yet if I keep it on for more than 20 seconds it will raise the thermostat temp by half a degree.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 26 Jul 2017, 00:10

tr0g wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 19:02

I know one of the issues with some of the ecobee thermostats was that they would heat up when the A/C was running. So they'd never turn off because it was always too hot. I don't know if other thermostats have this problem, but it's not completely unheard of.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jul 2017, 10:58

@JasonL
How goes The Purge?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Jul 2017, 11:33

Warren wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 10:58
@JasonL
How goes The Purge?
Real progress for 2 consecutive weeks. Week 1 saw the liberation of more floor space than I've ever seen liberated in my marriage. We are abandoning the number of boxes metric in favor of sectioning off piles we agree will be gone. Bags or piles of paper and magazines.

It's about consistency now. If we can pound at this rate for say 8 more weeks we will be in liberated basement liberated 3rd bedroom and nearly ready to paint territory. 2 weeks is something but week 5 or so is where all the drama will be.

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Jul 2017, 11:58

have you tried leaving a bunch of buddhism around?
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Jul 2017, 11:58

JasonL wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 11:33
Warren wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 10:58
@JasonL
How goes The Purge?
Real progress for 2 consecutive weeks. Week 1 saw the liberation of more floor space than I've ever seen liberated in my marriage. We are abandoning the number of boxes metric in favor of sectioning off piles we agree will be gone. Bags or piles of paper and magazines.

It's about consistency now. If we can pound at this rate for say 8 more weeks we will be in liberated basement liberated 3rd bedroom and nearly ready to paint territory.
Two Sundays worth of real progress and you think you've got eight more to go? Wow, I didn't realize how bad it was. You came close dude, way too close.
2 weeks is something but week 5 or so is where all the drama will be.
I don't doubt it. Keep us posted. Also pics.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Jul 2017, 12:33

JasonL wrote:
If we can pound at this rate for say 8 more weeks
hur hur hur
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 26 Jul 2017, 17:24

Okay, so I got a cheap Honeywell, which doesn't work. The old system had a two stage compressor and this one has no provision for the second stage to be wired in. Grrr. So, off to Honeywell's site to figure out what the cheapest thermo for a multistage is.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Jul 2017, 19:31

Ellie wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 12:33
JasonL wrote:
hur hur hur
I was feeling too classy to make this joke so thank you for stepping up to the plate.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 26 Jul 2017, 19:40

The city just cut down a 40 foot tall maple tree from my front yard (well technically it is that area between the sidewalk and the street which I don't own but am obligated to maintain).

No note. no call, no mail. just utility flags one week and a missing tree the next.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 Jul 2017, 19:49

dhex wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 19:31
Ellie wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 12:33
JasonL wrote:
hur hur hur
I was feeling too classy to make this joke so thank you for stepping up to the plate.
This
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Jul 2017, 19:56

I should probably not feel so accomplished but this is almost literally the most flattered I've ever felt.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Jul 2017, 21:02

:honourblade:

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Jul 2017, 13:42

Our garage is now full-hoarder again, but because we've gotten a bunch of useless/awful furniture out of the basement now.

After I do a bulk trash pickup, we'll only have the laundry room and my office in bad shape.

I'm still contemplating a full dumpster rather than going the bagster-plus-bulk-pickup route.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Jul 2017, 13:48

lunchstealer wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 13:42
Our garage is now full-hoarder again, but because we've gotten a bunch of useless/awful furniture out of the basement now.

After I do a bulk trash pickup, we'll only have the laundry room and my office in bad shape.

I'm still contemplating a full dumpster rather than going the bagster-plus-bulk-pickup route.
Full dumpster if you are doing bulk. Bagster doesn't get you anything.

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Jul 2017, 13:53

or just burn it down and start over with a yurt.

i want science to help us make marie kondo into an avenging, armor-plated amoral seraph of tidiness.

the next season or hoarders would just be her beheading people while flying through the air in a mecha-suit of gleaming white.

then we hose down the area and start over.

kinda like those "you won a boat" scams pd's use to get traffic ticket people, but with a lot more murder. like, a lot.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Jul 2017, 13:58

dhex wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 13:53
or just burn it down and start over with a yurt.

i want science to help us make marie kondo into an avenging, armor-plated amoral seraph of tidiness.

the next season or hoarders would just be her beheading people while flying through the air in a mecha-suit of gleaming white.

then we hose down the area and start over.

kinda like those "you won a boat" scams pd's use to get traffic ticket people, but with a lot more murder. like, a lot.
"These items do not bring you joy. They bring you suffering"

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Jul 2017, 14:01

It doesn't help that it's a pain in the ass to throw shit away. I have a pile of electronic shit that I'm like...what the fuck do I do with this. Get it out. I am happy to sort and make piles and let go of stuff but I need the Kondo angel to take it away.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman