Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jasper

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jasper » 24 May 2018, 11:44

Mo wrote:
24 May 2018, 11:26
Why would they charge interest? They're the ones sitting on the money and in possession of the merchandise (granted it's off the shelves).
Was responding more to Warren's statement that it was just as much of a scam. I interpreted it to mean he thought there might be excessive fees or interest like the rent-to-own business model he was responding to.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 24 May 2018, 11:45

Warren wrote:
24 May 2018, 11:37
I don't know the current state of lay-away, it's been probably 20 years since I read up on it. If there's only a sub $20 fee for breaking the deal, it's not the worst thing. Use to be, breaking the deal meant only getting 50% or less of what you already paid.
I vaguely recall this being a thing.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 24 May 2018, 12:17

Hmm. Maybe they did have larger renege fees back in the day. I know my folks used it a few times, and I did myself, once, to buy a state of the art front-loading VCR with a wired remote.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 May 2018, 12:25

Jasper wrote:
24 May 2018, 12:17
Hmm. Maybe they did have larger renege fees back in the day. I know my folks used it a few times, and I did myself, once, to buy a state of the art front-loading VCR with a wired remote.
Sooo... That would put it sometime between April 23rd and October 18th 1983?
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 24 May 2018, 12:35

Somewhere around then, yeah. :lol:

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 May 2018, 12:54

We bought the flooring and it's SO PRETTY. I can't wait to start butchering the installation :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 May 2018, 19:38

Ellie wrote:
24 May 2018, 12:54
We bought the flooring and it's SO PRETTY. I can't wait to start butchering the installation :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LIVE STREEEEEEEEAM
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 May 2018, 20:02

We’re totally about to be doing this too in a few weeks.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 May 2018, 20:12

My experience with peel-and-stick vinyl tiles is that I put some in the cabinet under the kitchen sink to cover up a stain from a leak a long time ago. Not too hard to deal with, but once they stick, they're stuck.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 May 2018, 20:34

Highway wrote:
24 May 2018, 20:12
My experience with peel-and-stick vinyl tiles is that I put some in the cabinet under the kitchen sink to cover up a stain from a leak a long time ago. Not too hard to deal with, but once they stick, they're stuck.
Which is why I cannot be involved in their install.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 May 2018, 20:40

I really like that trendy look where you make flooring out of pennies covered and held in place with some type of clear enamel. (Granted, I also have lots of shiny-red copper decorative items.) There's one shop in the trendy part of Decatur that used shiny new and older-brown pennies to make patterns. It's actually cheaper per square foot than most other types of flooring, except I suspect that actually setting all those pennies into place would drive me bonkers.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 May 2018, 11:44

Looking at my closing disclosures like $$$$$$$$$$$ ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 May 2018, 12:13

Warren wrote:
24 May 2018, 19:38
Ellie wrote:
24 May 2018, 12:54
LIVE STREEEEEEEEAM
It would be tremendously boring so far since I woke up feeling extremely poorly and haven't even gotten out of bed yet. (Also, I have the most massive and painful cyst acne right in the center of my forehead, and it is SO distracting.) Since it's a 4-day weekend with the holiday, I can push starting back until tomorrow, but if I'm not perkier by then, we're kinda screwed unless we want to wait until, like, Christmas.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 May 2018, 15:38

Update: I slept all afternoon and am actually feeling worse now. BUT I put diaper rash cream on my forehead and that helped that problem :lol:

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 May 2018, 16:01

Diaper rash cream is fucking magic
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 May 2018, 00:55

This is way up there for the sickest I've ever felt. And I'm sure stressing about it is just making it worse. I WANT A NEW FLOOR DAMMIT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 May 2018, 17:21

My dad appointed himself as the new president of floor installation and will be coming over in a couple weeks to help me. I'll have to take a day off work and also I'm annoyed because I wanted to do it all myself, but I still feel like crap so that's that. Harrumph.

I am considering attempting some repainting of the living room on Monday since we're taking off the baseboards anyway AND since all the flooring is going I don't have to worry about drips and spills. :)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 May 2018, 19:16

I also may take out some of my frustration by knocking a hole in the living room soffit that I hate to see if anything important is inside it.

I love how I've completely taken over this thread and yet the sum total of my home improvement work so far is zilch.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 May 2018, 19:29

Ellie wrote:
26 May 2018, 19:16
I love how I've completely taken over this thread and yet the sum total of my home improvement work so far is zilch.
Are you kidding? You found someone willing to install a whole new floor for you, and at no [monetary] cost, either!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway » 26 May 2018, 19:46

Ellie wrote:
I also may take out some of my frustration by knocking a hole in the living room soffit that I hate to see if anything important is inside it.

Probably yes to important, and yes to ugly. It's not a usual thing to just build up a bunch of bumpouts for no reason. :)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 May 2018, 20:11

I am hoping it was meant to distinguish between the "dining room" and the "living room" areas of the downstairs. But we've rearranged that space so now there's a soffit cutting our "living room" in half.

Basically I'm hoping our townhouse is small enough not to need any loadbearing beams across the middle! That's a thing, right? :lol:

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 26 May 2018, 20:22

Highway wrote:
26 May 2018, 19:46
Ellie wrote:

Probably yes to important, and yes to ugly. It's not a usual thing to just build up a bunch of bumpouts for no reason. :)
Yeah stuff like that is more work/hassle at construction to be purely decorative, although it could be demarcating space if it's going through the middle of the room.

I would assume somewhere they needed space for either plumbing or HVAC, or they needed to hide a support beam.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 May 2018, 20:41

Ahh, I didn't think about HVAC for some reason. I bet that's it! I still want to open it up just for curiosity's sake. :D

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 May 2018, 21:05

I'm watching an episode of This Old House with an arts and crafts home, and the interior designer just recommended they paint all the detailed wood trim, and OMG I've never hated another human being more

nicole

Post by nicole » 26 May 2018, 21:30

Ellie wrote:
26 May 2018, 21:05
I'm watching an episode of This Old House with an arts and crafts home, and the interior designer just recommended they paint all the detailed wood trim, and OMG I've never hated another human being more
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

—Future trim stripper