Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
nicole

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by nicole » 23 Aug 2017, 18:28

Right. Arts and crafts tho.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 23 Aug 2017, 20:22

Ah, that place always screws up the order.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Oct 2017, 15:25

This is too significant of a triumph to go in Tiny Triumphs
Walkway.jpg
Walkway.jpg (591.96 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Oct 2017, 15:39

Nice!

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Oct 2017, 16:35

Looks very good, although I'd worry a little about that 3" half-step up to the first step, mostly in the difference to the other step(s).

My efforts this weekend were just to remove the plants in the front of the house, and mulch the resulting beds. Still looking at what plants to put in there.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Oct 2017, 16:40

Highway wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 16:35
Looks very good, although I'd worry a little about that 3" half-step up to the first step, mostly in the difference to the other step(s).
What? As opposed to the 4" half-step onto uneven ground that it use to be?
A bigger worry is the lack of a hand rail.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Oct 2017, 17:16

Warren wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 16:40
Highway wrote:
Well, neither one is good. Ideally it would be no step or a full step.

How many steps up is it? That's really the driver for a handrail or not.

And also I apologize: I didn't mean to diminish your effort. It looks really nicely put together.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Oct 2017, 17:39

Highway wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 17:16
Warren wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 16:40
Highway wrote:
Well, neither one is good. Ideally it would be no step or a full step.

How many steps up is it? That's really the driver for a handrail or not.

And also I apologize: I didn't mean to diminish your effort. It looks really nicely put together.
No apology necessary, I didn't take your comment as a snub. And thank you. As is always the case with you're own work, it looks shoddy to me.
You can just see all three steps in the pic.

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Oct 2017, 18:16

Just replaced the toilet seats, and of the 5 or so times I've replaced toilet seats in my life, this new Bemis system is probably the best mounting system that I've come across: Removable seats mounted on plastic screw pegs (been done before), but this time they lock in orientation in the mounts, so you put them on the seat, then can hold the seat centered while you tighten it down. And for tightening, instead of wing nuts, they have a 5/8" nut system, with a loose bearing / washer that contacts the toilet. And then the part that you tighten down with a socket wrench breaks away when you have tightened it enough, while you are still holding the seat centered. Finally allowing the use of good tools on that, made it super easy to install securely and centered.

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Oct 2017, 18:55

Highway wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 18:16
Just replaced the toilet seats, and of the 5 or so times I've replaced toilet seats in my life, this new Bemis system is probably the best mounting system that I've come across: Removable seats mounted on plastic screw pegs (been done before), but this time they lock in orientation in the mounts, so you put them on the seat, then can hold the seat centered while you tighten it down. And for tightening, instead of wing nuts, they have a 5/8" nut system, with a loose bearing / washer that contacts the toilet. And then the part that you tighten down with a socket wrench breaks away when you have tightened it enough, while you are still holding the seat centered. Finally allowing the use of good tools on that, made it super easy to install securely and centered.
Yeah yeah. But do they have a tension adjustment that keeps the seat up when you SO insists (Insists!) on covering the lid with a plush cozy?

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Oct 2017, 19:06

Warren wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 18:55
Highway wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 18:16
Yeah yeah. But do they have a tension adjustment that keeps the seat up when you SO insists (Insists!) on covering the lid with a plush cozy?
We stopped using the plush things, so this time we got the one with the sculptured top.

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Oct 2017, 19:13

Highway wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 19:06
We stopped using the plush things, so this time we got the one with the sculptured top.
So no.

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Oct 2017, 12:40

The yellowjackets are dooooomed!!!! Any day that yellowjackets near me die is a good day.

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Oct 2017, 15:31

still finding dead hornets everywhere. and some not so dead ones.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 08 Oct 2017, 16:51

Highway wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 12:40
The yellowjackets are dooooomed!!!! Any day that yellowjackets near me die is a good day.
At their last house my dad would put out one of those trap thingies where they can get in but not out. Few things as satisfying as seeing a solid pint of dead yellowjackets.

Friend and I got multiple ankle stings hiking last summer. Stepped on the wrong spot on the trail. Assholes.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Oct 2017, 19:16

Dead squirrel
In my pool
Deaaaaaaaaaad squirrel
In myyyyyyyy pooool

Why the fuck do I have to
Keep dealing with dead mammals
It feels so much
Like a goddamn scammals

Plus last week I had to kill some orphaned baby mice with a shovel.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Oct 2017, 19:29

dhex wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 19:16
Dead squirrel
In my pool
Deaaaaaaaaaad squirrel
In myyyyyyyy pooool

It feels so much
Like a goddamn scammals

You should take joy in the demise of vermin.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Oct 2017, 19:36

dhex wrote:
Plus last week I had got to kill some orphaned baby mice with a shovel.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 08 Oct 2017, 21:26

dhex wrote:
Deaaaaaaaaaad squirrel
In myyyyyyyy pooool
Steve Perry needs to sing this.

Oh the squirrel was daaayaaeeyaaad in myeeeyie pool (ooooh, ooo ohhhhh, ooohhoowoe)

(idea for SNL ad parody: Hire Steve Perry to sing your life)
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 08 Oct 2017, 21:40

dhex wrote:
Dead squirrel
In my pool
Deaaaaaaaaaad squirrel
In myyyyyyyy pooool

It feels so much
Like a goddamn scammals

You might live on or near that old WWI era chemical weapons depot that was abandoned and grandfathered in before the environmental laws. Nobody wanted to deal with it, so they just knocked down all the buildings and sold the land.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Oct 2017, 22:28

I think that was Aberdeen slash Harford County

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Oct 2017, 07:41

My neighbor started putting out traps in August and has killed 25 rats in our back yard since then. For a while, when the count was in the teens, I thought it was having no effect, but it's been weeks since I've seen a live rat in the yard. And they're still all over other people's section of the alley.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 09 Oct 2017, 07:46

Get a cat. When I lived in a semi-rural area, mine were bringing home two rodents each per day.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 09 Oct 2017, 12:34

Has anyone ever had luck with those ultrasound things for mice & such?
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 09 Oct 2017, 12:43

Jasper wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 12:34
Has anyone ever had luck with those ultrasound things for mice & such?
Jasper, they are pretty much fer sure pregnant. And how do you get them to hold still while you squirt on the gel? And what if you get an ultrasound tech who is scared of mice? I don't think thats going to work ;^)
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus