Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by JasonL » 12 Jun 2019, 17:14

Ha nice.

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Jun 2019, 18:48

JasonL wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 14:21
My new fridge has the wrap. Also not French doored. Side by side counter depth. Not awesome.
See, the big problem here is counter depth. aka "No space refrigerator". And yeah, cabinet panels look like butt, even if they match perfectly.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Jun 2019, 19:43

I just Googled the cabinet wraps thing and Holy fuck
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jun 2019, 19:55

dhex wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 19:43
I just Googled the cabinet wraps thing and Holy fuck
To be clear, we're not talking about wrapping the cabinets to change their look. We're talking about wrapping the appliances to match the cabinets so the dishwasher and refrigerator blend in with the cabinets.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Jun 2019, 21:42

Yes I'm clear on that. Uggo as hell.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jun 2019, 14:57

TL;DR How I acquired something like a Steelcase Leap for $163.

So I wanted the Steelcase Leap V2. Found a good price from Madison Seating. Notice that in selecting options, there's an upcharge for "lumbar".
I very much wanted the lumbar support which in addition to a higher back was a feature that motivated me to order a V2 over the V1.

I waited 14 days for it to arrive. When it did, I was shocked (SHOCKED :shock: ) to discover it was not a Leap V2, but neither was it a Leap V1. I called customer service and they told me I had to take pictures and send an email. I sent the following:
I paid for a Steelcase Leap V2 with lumbar support (I paid extra for the lumbar). What you sent me appears to be some hybrid of a Leap V1 and V2. The frame seems to be V2, but the back and arms seem to be V1. There is no lumbar support (WHICH I PAID EXTRA FOR), the arms don't slide forward and back, the "lower back firmness" adjustment does nothing.*

This is completely unacceptable. I want the chair I paid for.
*I believed this when I sent it, however I have since figured out that this adjustment is functional.

Within the hour I received:
Hi Warren

The item you purchased is part of our open box close out sale. That is why the price is heavily discounted from the retail value of $800+ to the sale price of $300+ you received. We only offer this chair with the height adjustable arms.

We are sorry if the item(s) arrived with the missing lumbar adjustment.

Due to any discrepancy on the shipment, we would like to offer you an additional $100 to keep the merchandise currently in your possession.

Please let us know if this will be a satisfactory resolve.

Emma
Customer Service
I replied:
Your duplicity is becoming irritating. The retail value of a Leap V2 is $400* not $800. Your web page* from which I ordered the chair has the actual V2 pictured on it.

I will accept no less than $200 to keep this frankenstein chair. Else you can refund me the full amount and come pick it up.

Warren
*Here I had links to Walmart's site and their own respectively.

To which they responded:
Hi Warren,

First and foremost we would like to apologize if there was an error in the model chair you received. Your first email only indicated an issue with the lumbar feature not being included.

Management has accepted your offer to keep the chair with a $200 credit adjustment that will be issued back to your Discover Card.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this has caused you.

Warm regards,

Zoe
Supervisor
I'm rather pleased with the way I handled it, showing just the right amount of "disgruntled customer" while maintaining a certain professionalism.

As for the chair itself. I'm concerned about the missing lumbar support (did I mention that I paid extra for that). There exists a headrest for the Leap, which I'd like to acquire, but don't see it being sold separately anywhere.
I know from reading Madison's site that their chairs are reupholstered. The back has breathing slats in it but I notice I'm getting a little back sweat already. And the seat is uncomfortably hard. I'll probably put a cushion on it.
Otherwise it adjusts very well. You can set the back recline to stop in five different positions, and also adjust the spring tension. The seat glides forward as you recline. While the armrests don't move fore and aft, they do adjust up and down and swivel around. We'll see what I think of it after sitting in it a week or two.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Jun 2019, 18:12

The 'refrigerator that looks like a pantry door' is an ok look at really high price points (like 10k for a fridge price points).

So it's not something I would ever do.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Home $weet Home

Post by JasonL » 17 Jun 2019, 17:36

Highway wrote:
JasonL wrote:
My new fridge has the wrap. Also not French doored. Side by side counter depth. Not awesome.
See, the big problem here is counter depth. aka "No space refrigerator". And yeah, cabinet panels look like butt, even if they match perfectly.
For the record - yes this fridge is too small by a lot. I find in particular that to the extent door bin depth invades primary fridge shelf space - man theres nothing left. I’m gonna have to get a second unit or replace.

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Jun 2019, 18:10

JasonL wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 17:36
Highway wrote:
JasonL wrote:
For the record - yes this fridge is too small by a lot. I find in particular that to the extent door bin depth invades primary fridge shelf space - man theres nothing left. I’m gonna have to get a second unit or replace.
Can you just go with a normal depth one? Or does that stick out into a hallway / aisle or something?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 17 Jun 2019, 19:17

JasonL wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 17:36
Highway wrote:
JasonL wrote:
I was gonna say something stupid along the first world problem schtick but then I thought of my current fridge situation.

That's a rough problem to have since the only cure is to buy an entire new setup. Theres nothing you can do. It's a weird feeling of helplessness.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jun 2019, 19:26

If I were rich enough to have a kitchen and fridge/freezer custom-made (or could travel back in time to alter history and change the modern American standards for such things) --- even if we're talking about the same cubic feet of storage space, I'd have it be less boxy, far wider from side to side and shallower from front to back, so there's less opportunity for small things (like, that small Tupperware container of leftovers) to migrate to the back and hide behind the big things (such as gallon jugs or pitchers of beverage). Only a very small percentage of foods I freeze or refrigerate require much front-to-back depth to store.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Jun 2019, 19:27

Our fridge is hinged on the wrong side. This is "Why did they install it this way in this space it's SO FUCKING STUPID" deal. Now the hinge and handle can be swapped so it opens the other way. But ten years ago I swapped one because I couldn't stand the stupid. And after I did, I swore I'd never do it again (I can't remember why though, it looks so straight forward) and not six months after we did it, we moved. So I'm loath to do it again, but damn if it wouldn't make life easier every single day.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 17 Jun 2019, 23:50

House hunt round 4 begins on Saturday.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 18 Jun 2019, 10:16

When we moved into the current place a few years ago now, the fridge was french doors with freezer on the bottom. I initially hated it, but it's actually grown on me. My only complaint is that the freezer drawer could have had a more modular set up or options becasue as it is now, the main space is so jumbled you can lose a whole ham in there.

(Full disclosure: white-painted cabinets, s/s appliances, Corian countertop in a seafoam green. Fuck HGTV & society. I love it.)
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Jun 2019, 15:13

Jasper wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 10:16
When we moved into the current place a few years ago now, the fridge was french doors with freezer on the bottom. I initially hated it, but it's actually grown on me. My only complaint is that the freezer drawer could have had a more modular set up or options becasue as it is now, the main space is so jumbled you can lose a whole ham in there.

(Full disclosure: white-painted cabinets, s/s appliances, Corian countertop in a seafoam green. Fuck HGTV & society. I love it.)
Given that I have laminate-over-particle-board in a sort of fake Jade color right now, I'd kill for seafoam green Corian. Especially since there's no bevel on the sink to direct spills back into the sink, so water often escapes onto the counter and has found a couple of poorly sealed seams and ruined the underlying particle board and the whole thing is crap and almost anything would be an improvement, but I think I put Corian at about equal with granite, especially the popular jaundice-and-brown form which is very WTF in my book. Quartz is a touch better solely in that it's a bit more durable than granite, and rarely comes in jaundice-based color patterns.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 18 Jun 2019, 15:37

lunchstealer wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 15:13
Jasper wrote:

Given that I have laminate-over-particle-board in a sort of fake Jade color right now, I'd kill for seafoam green Corian. Especially since there's no bevel on the sink to direct spills back into the sink, so water often escapes onto the counter and has found a couple of poorly sealed seams and ruined the underlying particle board and the whole thing is crap and almost anything would be an improvement, but I think I put Corian at about equal with granite, especially the popular jaundice-and-brown form which is very WTF in my book. Quartz is a touch better solely in that it's a bit more durable than granite, and rarely comes in jaundice-based color patterns.
Yeah, wiping spills and crumbs from the counter right into the under-mounted sink is great. Both places before this had drop-in sinks with the big lip and seals. This is muchly better.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Jun 2019, 16:15

Jasper wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 15:37
lunchstealer wrote:
Jasper wrote:

Yeah, wiping spills and crumbs from the counter right into the under-mounted sink is great. Both places before this had drop-in sinks with the big lip and seals. This is muchly better.
Even drop-in sinks can have a lip or bevel away from the edge of the basin proper. This house is the first one where there's nothing between the edge of the basin and the edge of the drop-in, so water just flows unimpeded from a spill at the edge of the basin out until it drops off into the counter. Just some slope for the first inch and a half or two inches would make a world of difference.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Jun 2019, 17:12

Jasper wrote:
I've never liked the look of an under-mounted sink, but hadn't considered this benefit. I might change my tune yet!

Wait, no, I'm thinking of farmhouse sinks. Those I hate. Okay, I'm 100% on board with under-mounted now!
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jun 2019, 20:08

Ellie wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 17:12
I'm thinking of farmhouse sinks. Those I hate.
newsletter
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Jun 2019, 10:01

Ellie wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 17:12
Jasper wrote:
I've never liked the look of an under-mounted sink, but hadn't considered this benefit. I might change my tune yet!

Wait, no, I'm thinking of farmhouse sinks. Those I hate. Okay, I'm 100% on board with under-mounted now!
I had to goog farmhouse sink.

Oh, those. I don't find them terrible, but it wouldn't be a first choice, unless I was planning a whole farmhouse design.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 19 Jun 2019, 17:14

lunchstealer wrote:
Jasper wrote:

Isn't the point of granite that it's an effective heat sink and so it's way easier to work pastry dough on?

Mo

Home $weet Home

Post by Mo » 19 Jun 2019, 17:28

The granite we got was white with black with mixes of purple. It was something like this. We complimented it with a composite granite sink in grey that looked super sweet.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 20 Jun 2019, 09:27

Jadagul wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 17:14
lunchstealer wrote:
Jasper wrote:

Isn't the point of granite that it's an effective heat sink and so it's way easier to work pastry dough on?
Yeah, granite (or marble) is great for working with pastry doughs. I have a 18" x 24" slab of marble that I use. Makes a good charcuterie board too.

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Jun 2019, 10:11

Jasper wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 09:27
Yeah, granite (or marble) is great for working with pastry doughs. I have a 18" x 24" slab of marble that I use. Makes a good charcuterie board too.
Work pastry dough? I don't do much pastry, but I've not heard of needing to knead on marble. Why would you need a heat sink for cold dough?
And good god man, 18"x24"? That's got to weigh north of 20lbs. You carry that thing loaded up with cold cuts?

Fudge. First rate fudge is worked on big stone slabs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 20 Jun 2019, 10:26

Warren wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 10:11
Jasper wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 09:27
Work pastry dough? I don't do much pastry, but I've not heard of needing to knead on marble. Why would you need a heat sink for cold dough?
And good god man, 18"x24"? That's got to weigh north of 20lbs. You carry that thing loaded up with cold cuts?

Fudge. First rate fudge is worked on big stone slabs.
Granite/marble keeps the butter cold as you work the dough so you maintain flakiness. If the fat melts, you get shortbread instead of pastry. It helps a lot in high summer - prime berry pie season.

It doesn't seem that heavy. It's only 1/2" thick. And it's also not an everyday thing. I only haul it out for charcuterie if we have company over for noshing. Or making pie crust from scratch when the mood strikes.

I have never made fudge at home. [/weird]