Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by JasonL » 13 Apr 2019, 16:37

Warren wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 16:19
JasonL wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 16:02
Found a house we like quite a bit. Size right. Geothermal already in place. Close location wise. Substantial hunk of change but doable - we’d have to carry two mortgages for a bit because our current place not ready to sell yet. We are sleeping on it but might move. Big money decision.
This is considerably removed from where I thought you were. I thought you were designing your own house and moving was on perpetual standby until assurance of non-hoarding.
On a more 'What's in it for me' note, will the Ligon Bed and Breakfast be open mid May?
That situation may be in flux to be honest. Because of a vacation in June/July we may have to do a bunch of stuff quickly.

As to the other plans, all plans entail tradeoffs and we have really struggled with a particular location / price equilibrium that this house hits - if barely.

PS curveball it's yellow

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Apr 2019, 18:09

So I haven't done mortgage shopping in 10 years or so. Are any of the online tools worth a damn (they weren't 10 years ago)? Any killer app for lending compare or is it still filter to a few and haggle over stated rate vs. fees included APR and points and other nonsense?

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Apr 2019, 18:26

JasonL wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 18:09
So I haven't done mortgage shopping in 10 years or so. Are any of the online tools worth a damn (they weren't 10 years ago)? Any killer app for lending compare or is it still filter to a few and haggle over stated rate vs. fees included APR and points and other nonsense?
The latter is what I did but I don’t really know anything
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Apr 2019, 02:48

Why yes, I am still making improvements to the front walk.
Path Lights.jpg
Path Lights.jpg (198.74 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Apr 2019, 03:43

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Apr 2019, 04:53

I like it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 23 Apr 2019, 13:54

Very nice, Warren.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 May 2019, 10:06

Home purchase moving apace. Wound up using Better as a lender. It starts out really easy then gets progressively more annoying because they have automatic filters that cause them to reach back out with tasks when the explanation should be pretty obvious. Also, they claim to use a vendor arrangement that securely connects directly with payroll systems to pull all your history as the "gold standard" of qualification, but then they make you submit the same stuff anyway.

"Explain this deposit"
"it's bonus type compensation here's the disbursement statement"
"Thanks but this amount is larger than what we are asking about explain this number"
"it ... taxes. You know, taxes?"
"oh, ok please resubmit all the associated paperwork and we'll look at it again"

"Explain this variance in you year over year March paychecks, why was last year higher in this one check period?"
"You mean ... the $120 difference in Other compensation"?
"Uh, yes. Actually that may not be material, please resubmit all the stuff and we'll look at it again"

That kind of stuff.

Rates and fees kicked the crap out of Quicken Loans though.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 May 2019, 18:53

Seen on my local-news Facebook feed: the tiny homes fad is coming to Georgia! Not too terribly far from where I am now, in fact.:
Eight homes. On half an acre.

Yes, you read that correctly, and it’s about to become reality. The first “tiny home neighborhood” in Georgia is coming to the small city of Clarkston, city officials said.

The DeKalb County suburb approved “The Cottages on Vaughan” at a Tuesday night City Council meeting. Situated one block from downtown Clarkston, the eight homes will be built on permanent foundations on the half-acre lot.

They will range in size from about 250 to 500 square feet, the city said in a statement. For comparison, the median size of a newly built American single-family home was about 2,400 square feet in 2017, according to census data.

Atlanta-based nonprofit The MicroLife Institute is the developer on the project. The homes will cost between $100,000 and $125,000, MicroLife Institute co-founder Kim Bucciero told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Also for comparison, here are some quotes from the comments on that Facebook page:

GUY 1: You can buy full-sized homes in Dekalb for the same price.

GUY 2: sure can and in better areas

GUY 3: 8 homes on one half acre...why not just buy a townhome or condo? Plus, location is terrible. Hard pass.

GUY 4: yesterday on Fox5 [local news] they were talking about tearing down 'THE MOST DANGEROUS APT BUILDING IN THE WORLD. Now we know why....these homes will sit less than a football field away.

(I just did a quick search on realtor dot com: for homes or condos in Clarkston itself, maximum price $125k, there's four decent-sized condos and one very sketchy-looking house for sale. The most expensive condo is $79,900 and looks fairly nice, at least in the picture. Expand the search to a five-mile radius outside of Clarkston, for condos, single-family or multi-family homes at or under $125k, there are 231 listings.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 May 2019, 22:09

The tiny homes fad has been weird and overpriced ever since it was European designers going "look at this economical and ecologically sustainable home I can fit into a shipping container" and charging as much as for a new home.

The DIY end of the van life fad is at least less absurd on cost grounds.
Last edited by Eric the .5b on 10 May 2019, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 May 2019, 22:12

Oh boy, roof replacement time. At least now they are 50-year warranty shingles, instead of 10 year warranty and 20 yr replacement.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 16 May 2019, 11:41

Looks like we might put a bid in for a fixer upper ranch house. Wish us luck.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 May 2019, 11:45

Good luck, Pham!

We got the roof replaced yesterday. "Wanting to be home in case something came up" won out over "being out of the house because OMG so much noise", but OMG so much noise! But now it's done.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 May 2019, 11:54

Bon chance mon ami
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 May 2019, 12:06

Good luck!

Meanwhile - closing on a house and trying to list ours and move prior to a 3 week vacation is giving everyone in my house GI distress.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 May 2019, 13:25

Report shows Twin Cities housing market on track to be as expensive as Denver, Seattle

Well, THAT'S not helping my anxiety that we might have to sell our house now and then buy again in a couple years when we're more financially secure. We might end up living our bed-table-toilet on wheels dream in Denver after all.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 16 May 2019, 13:32

Ellie wrote:
16 May 2019, 13:25
Report shows Twin Cities housing market on track to be as expensive as Denver, Seattle

Well, THAT'S not helping my anxiety that we might have to sell our house now and then buy again in a couple years when we're more financially secure. We might end up living our bed-table-toilet on wheels dream in Denver after all.
That's what we did. Not the toilet bed part though.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 May 2019, 18:55

Ellie wrote:
16 May 2019, 13:25

Jeeze. Well, if you moved in with DAR - I'm pretty sure that's what he offered - you'd be able to sell your townhouse for enough to buy a pretty decent place down there. And I know some weirdos down there that y'all'd probably fit in with. Fair warning though a bunch are in Mensa, but they're super friendly by freakish nerd standards.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 18 May 2019, 18:05

No dice on the house. They won't budge on the price despite it being a fixer upper*. I talked to the realtor guy. He said no one but investors were looking at the property anyway.

*a LOT of fixing

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 19 May 2019, 00:25

Day 2 of looking into homes and potentially making an offer will begin shortly. Traveller isn't happy with just making a lowball offer but we looked at a few more houses and the only potential purchase was a bi-level idiot homeowner that bricked in their garage. So no garage and it's a bi-level. I wanted to ask 50k less just to see if they would take it but Traveller vetoed my idea. I offered to make an offer $80k under their asking but she still wouldn't do it. She's probably right but it was tempting from the fuck you of the bid.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 May 2019, 14:44

I attempted a sweeping decluttering of our spare room to turn it into a home office. Mainly what was in there was clean, perfectly nice clothes that never get worn for whatever reason (don't fit, not someone's style, etc.) A cold, rational assessment of my laziness revealed that if I decided to donate them to Goodwill, they'd never actually end up leaving the house. So I put them in garbage bags and tossed them in the dumpster. I don't feel guilty at all about it but I do feel like this is a shameful confession that would make most people clutch their pearls.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 May 2019, 14:47

Ellie wrote:
19 May 2019, 14:44
I don't feel guilty at all about it
Nor should you, IMO -- even among perfectly good clothing items that ARE donated to thrift stores, the overwhelming majority of them are NOT re-sold as garments to American buyers, but sold in bulk (by the pound or the ton) overseas.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 May 2019, 15:58

Ellie wrote:I attempted a sweeping decluttering of our spare room to turn it into a home office. Mainly what was in there was clean, perfectly nice clothes that never get worn for whatever reason (don't fit, not someone's style, etc.) A cold, rational assessment of my laziness revealed that if I decided to donate them to Goodwill, they'd never actually end up leaving the house. So I put them in garbage bags and tossed them in the dumpster. I don't feel guilty at all about it but I do feel like this is a shameful confession that would make most people clutch their pearls.
Most stuff in that case is rightfully designated as trash. I’m starting to see goodwill and recycling programs both as 20% useful repurposing and 80% trash-guilt assuagement.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 20 May 2019, 22:28

Yo. Anyone have any thoughts on foreclosures in nicer areas? Are people still smashing everything to bits like supposedly happened in 08'?

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 May 2019, 09:58

Nah. I think you’re good but it’s always buyer beware/as-is. I think it’s also harder to get with a loan.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex