Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jennifer » 11 Nov 2018, 15:28

I'd ... actually prefer a nice dark blue or dark green carpet over the omnipresent beige carpeting that seems to be the American default. [Slinks away over beige carpet in shame]
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Nov 2018, 18:41

It’s not the color that makes it groovy, it’s the shag baby. Blue green and black shag.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 11 Nov 2018, 19:47

JasonL wrote:It’s not the color that makes it groovy, it’s the shag baby. Blue green and black shag.
It's like walking around on skinned muppets.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Nov 2018, 20:12

It puts the conditioner on its skin Grover

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Nov 2018, 21:26

Ours was olive and khaki shag. Literally the least military thing in those colors ever. And that includes a dirty martini spilled on a pair of Dockers.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Nov 2018, 01:21

I got too annoyed at the House Doctor so I switched over to another British staging show, Sarah Beeney's Selling Houses, and it's more of the same. "Paint color on all the walls! Put down carpet!" I mean, she even counsels a couple to turn an unused back room into a dining room BY PUTTING DOWN CARPETING IN IT. What kind of monster carpets a dining room? Good god.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Nov 2018, 02:04

Brits also sure do love wallpaper.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Nov 2018, 10:24

Ellie wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 02:04
Brits also sure do love wallpaper.
Ah yes the great ebb and flow of wallpaper. It's like the yo-yo, it keeps coming back. The us reno shows usually nix wallpaper as too expensive. But they'll turn to it for a "feature wall" or to "take it to the next level". Inevitably some large garish design, like a jungle motif with parrots.
Ellie wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 01:21
What kind of monster carpets a dining room? Good god.
I've seen many a formal dining room with the table set on an oriental rug and such.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Nov 2018, 11:36

Ellie wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 01:21
What kind of monster carpets a dining room?
We have carpeting in our dining room. It happens to be in a place that I intend to put hardwood in when we replace it, but I don't mind carpeting there. It's not like it gets used a lot for anything but storing stuff when we have to move it out of another room (like the contents of the pantry, or the contents of the second floor).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Nov 2018, 15:41

Warren wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 10:24
I've seen many a formal dining room with the table set on an oriental rug and such.
Somehow a large area rug is different than installing wall-to-wall carpeting (over a perfectly nice-looking and functional tile floor). Even though large rugs are also a pain to clean. Wall-to-wall carpeting in a dining room on purpose is just WHYYYYYY

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Nov 2018, 12:00

I now own a townhouse somewhere between 3 to 4 miles of Bezoworld South.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Nov 2018, 13:25

Kolohe wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 12:00
I kinda feel like we dodged that bullet.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Nov 2018, 17:40

lunchstealer wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 13:25
Kolohe wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 12:00
I kinda feel like we dodged that bullet.
I'm against the corporate giveaway on principle, but it doesn't look as bad as it could have been
There seems to be parts of it that can actually be construed as public goods (i.e. transportation infrastructure improvements) and my personal stake is in an area that's long been gentrifying/infilling (that's why I bought there).
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Nov 2018, 16:33

Hate-watching House Hunters Renovation, which should really just be called "watching" it because I don't think there's anybody out there on this planet who watches House Hunters shows with anything but judgment in their heart.

Current episode has a young DINK couple in Chicago who need to get out of their two-bedroom condo because it's "omg so small!" Cue scene of them fake-cooking in their kitchen and bumping into each other a lot. Then we get the classic parade of complaints. "I want a vintage kitchen," says the wife, staring at the camera in great seriousness, before walking into every single house and saying, "We'd need to completely redo this! Turn it into a real chef's kitchen! For entertaining!" So vintage. Even better was the 130-year-old Victorian that they both gushed over from the outside, but when they got up to the top floor, the husband said with genuine surprise, "There's no en-suite bathroom!" No, shockingly, in 1890 houses generally did not have large master suites with attached bathrooms, omg

Anyway, they bought the Victorian and it turned out to be a total money pit and I'm enjoying it very much

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Nov 2018, 12:39

I once watched an episode of House Hunters where the couple were sensible people, had practical objections, would say, "I don't love this look but it's not a big deal if it means [other good thing]' and didn't just say "OMG I CAN'T BUY THIS HOUSE BECAUSE CEILING TEXTURE WRONG".

Once.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Nov 2018, 12:43

lunchstealer wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 12:39
I once watched an episode of House Hunters where the couple were sensible people, had practical objections, would say, "I don't love this look but it's not a big deal if it means [other good thing]' and didn't just say "OMG I CAN'T BUY THIS HOUSE BECAUSE CEILING TEXTURE WRONG".

Once.
I hate-love it when their priorities are things that are easily changed like paint color, and they weighing if they can live without a garage for the crown molding.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Dec 2018, 22:41

Question: how do you get "i don't want to be a farmer out in the sticks" modernist inclined guy to consider being a farmer out in the sticks?

Answer: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/h ... rect/9_zm/

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Dec 2018, 09:57

JasonL wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 22:41
Question: how do you get "i don't want to be a farmer out in the sticks" modernist inclined guy to consider being a farmer out in the sticks?

Answer: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/h ... rect/9_zm/
??? Half a million + $100K to be out in the sticks? Eff that. Kitchen is ass - island electric stove, no hood. And what the hell is that water feature? Is that the pool?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Dec 2018, 10:43

Yes it's a lap pool. I'd put my own cooktop and hood in - tbh I've not yet seen a house were I wouldn't be doing that anyway. Ovens are fine.

It is 99 acres and was a full horse farm. And there's a whole second house in good shape if dad needed to move in.

I think I would go nuts that far out but I'm legit afraid of the look in my wife's eyes when she watches this:

It's 45 minutes one way to work along the largest gradient of yee haw to civilization.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Dec 2018, 10:47

But the kitchen is ass. It's all ass. Open shelving, no cabinets, let me say that again NO CABINETS. two single sinks on separate ends of the counter. It's ass.
JasonL wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 10:43
It's 45 minutes one way to work along the largest gradient of yee haw to civilization.
Yeah, that's an hour and a half out of every day. It'd be okay if you could telecommute a couple days a week. It's the kind of thing that sucks a little bit of your soul ever time you have to do it. I'd be a deal breaker for me, but some don't mind so much.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Dec 2018, 11:04

The island is cabinets all the way down the length.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Dec 2018, 12:22

Shelving-instead-of-cabinets is okay, if and only if you have a very effective hood over the stove. There is gas to the home, so it may be possible to retrofit a gas stove, but man I'm trying to think how you'd put in a hood over that stove without destroying the aesthetic, and coming up with things that involve very expensive opening of the casing around that beam thing.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Dec 2018, 12:25

Open shelving is one step removed from eating in a pig sty irregardless of the ventilation.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 11 Dec 2018, 13:46

Hmm.

99 acres.

Live in the small house and turn the big house into a destination hunting resort for Scandinavians.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 11 Dec 2018, 14:37

Jasper wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 13:46
Hmm.

99 acres.

Live in the small house and turn the big house into a destination hunting resort for Scandinavians.
Close. Airbnb the big house to whiskey lovers.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex