Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jasper

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jasper » 09 Nov 2018, 11:36

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 11:14
Jasper wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 10:18
Pham Nuwen wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 14:43
JasonL wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 13:55
I have minor hate for tv over fireplace. Too high.
You should not visit casa de Pham right now. I'm not in charge of anything right now so it looks hideous.
Depends on the room. My living room is long & narrow, so the only place for the TV is over the fireplace. We're sitting far enough away that the height of it really isn't an issue.
In those situations I've found it expedient to just put the TV covering the fireplace, not above the mantle. But then I'm the kind of cousin-fucking dirt person who can't tell jackfruit from breadfruit.
Well, I'm a born-n-bred swamp yankee and can't tell jackfruit from breadfruit neither, but I do like a cheery fire on cold, rainy, or snowy, nights. Even if it is gas-fired.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 09 Nov 2018, 11:40

Jasper wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 11:36
lunchstealer wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:
JasonL wrote:
You should not visit casa de Pham right now. I'm not in charge of anything right now so it looks hideous.
Depends on the room. My living room is long & narrow, so the only place for the TV is over the fireplace. We're sitting far enough away that the height of it really isn't an issue.
In those situations I've found it expedient to just put the TV covering the fireplace, not above the mantle. But then I'm the kind of cousin-fucking dirt person who can't tell jackfruit from breadfruit.
Well, I'm a born-n-bred swamp yankee and can't tell jackfruit from breadfruit neither, but I do like a cheery fire on cold, rainy, or snowy, nights. Even if it is gas-fired.
Breadfruit?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 09 Nov 2018, 11:54

The bane of William Bligh.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Nov 2018, 11:56

Housing prices are officially bonkers right now. There's an 80-year-old, 672-sq ft house in South St. Paul listed for $190K. (I know in some areas that would be a steal in any market, but this is the redneck boondocks of the St. Paul metro, and also it's ST PAUL, not Portland or some shit.) It doesn't have a new roof or anything. It boasts "oak hardwood floors under carpeting" like, you haven't even been arsed to pull up the carpeting yet?

I'm bummed that in a few years when we're ready to sell our townhouse, things will have crashed and we'll get peanuts for it, but at least we can still live in the area without paying $200K for an old dollhouse.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Nov 2018, 11:57

Pham Nuwen wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 11:40
Jasper wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Breadfruit?
Jackfruit?
Countra JasonL, fireplaces are the biggest footprint sucking, architecture complicating, waste of space and money that people demand in a house.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Nov 2018, 12:09

Ellie wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 11:56
I'm bummed that in a few years when we're ready to sell our townhouse, things will have crashed and we'll get peanuts for it, but at least we can still live in the area without paying $200K for an old dollhouse.
Housing prices rising and falling with interest rates, will not affect whether you can afford a bigger house.
Housing prices becoming untethered from rents is why it makes sense to sell your house and start renting. It's also the condition that preceded the 2008 meltdown. Back then we had a Fed Funds rate above 5% and debt/GDP below 70.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Nov 2018, 12:21

Ugh, I'd rather cut off my foot than go back to renting. Shared ceilings and floors again? Community laundry room? Noooooooooo. I've had a taste of freedom and I'm too spoiled to go back.

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Nov 2018, 13:27

Ellie wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 12:21
Ugh, I'd rather cut off my foot than go back to renting. Shared ceilings and floors again? Community laundry room? Noooooooooo. I've had a taste of freedom and I'm too spoiled to go back.
I rented 3 different places in my life, and always had washer / dryer in my rental unit. Granted, one was the kind that you hook up to the kitchen faucet for the washer, and the dryer vented into the apartment, but that was only 1 of 3.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Nov 2018, 13:32

Yeah, in home laundry is a one way door. It wasn't hard to find rental units with at least laundry hook-ups once I made that a must have.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Nov 2018, 14:10

Warren wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 11:57
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Jasper wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:

Breadfruit?
Jackfruit?
Countra JasonL, fireplaces are the biggest footprint sucking, architecture complicating, waste of space and money that people demand in a house.
Tastes like Juicy Fruit gum.
Open hearth fireplaces are indeed a waste. The space should be devoted to a proper wood burning furnace.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Nov 2018, 14:14

Ellie wrote:
Housing prices are officially bonkers right now. There's an 80-year-old, 672-sq ft house in South St. Paul listed for $190K. (I know in some areas that would be a steal in any market, but this is the redneck boondocks of the St. Paul metro, and also it's ST PAUL, not Portland or some shit.) It doesn't have a new roof or anything. It boasts "oak hardwood floors under carpeting" like, you haven't even been arsed to pull up the carpeting yet?

To be fair, it would be a mistake to pull up but a section of the carpeting (for inspection) if you're planning to sell the house 'as-is'. the carpet will protect the floors in the interim.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Nov 2018, 14:38

Kwix wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 14:10
Warren wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Jasper wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Jasper wrote:

Breadfruit?
Jackfruit?
Open hearth fireplaces are indeed a waste. The space should be devoted to a proper wood burning furnace.
Even then, only if you split and stack it yourself.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Nov 2018, 14:42

Kolohe wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 14:14
Ellie wrote:

To be fair, it would be a mistake to pull up but a section of the carpeting (for inspection) if you're planning to sell the house 'as-is'. the carpet will protect the floors in the interim.
Not to mention the likelihood that sometime in the past 80 years, the dead body, dog piss, something, FUBAR'd the floors. They put that carpet down for a reason.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 09 Nov 2018, 14:56

Warren wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 14:42
Not to mention the likelihood that sometime in the past 80 years, the dead body, dog piss, something, FUBAR'd the floors. They put that carpet down for a reason.
Sometimes people are just dumb, though. I can't tell you how often I've seen woodwork or glass panes just sloppily painted over. They may have just liked carpet instead of wood floors.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Nov 2018, 15:17

There was a time when 'wall to wall carpeting' was considered a feature, and some people just don't ever want their feet to touch anything hard.

To the point that some psychotic fuckers put installed carpeting in fucking bathrooms.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 09 Nov 2018, 15:53

Warren wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 14:38
Kwix wrote:
Warren wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Jasper wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:

Breadfruit?
Jackfruit?
Invoking JasonL's 'pay someone to do shit I don't have the time, patience, or skill for' rule.

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Nov 2018, 16:09

Jasper wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 15:53
Warren wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 14:38
Kwix wrote:
Warren wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Jasper wrote:

Breadfruit?
Jackfruit?
Invoking JasonL's 'pay someone to do shit I don't have the time, patience, or skill for' rule.
+1 (or more, if I can vote more than once)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Nov 2018, 16:48

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 15:17
There was a time when 'wall to wall carpeting' was considered a feature, and some people just don't ever want their feet to touch anything hard.

To the point that some psychotic fuckers put installed carpeting in fucking bathrooms.
My parent's house had this. Carpet over the hardwood floors and carpet in our (i.e. us kids) bathroom until I removed it circa 2010. (The carpet over the hardwood floors is getting removed this month)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Nov 2018, 19:20

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 15:17

I also want to slap whoever thought it was a good idea to put carpeting (as opposed to any sort of sweep-clean surface)right next to any outdoor entryways. The place we rented in Virginia had wall-to-wall carpeting all the way up to the sliding glass doors leading to the backyard, which of course meant it was impossible to come in from outside without tracking lots of dirt into said carpet. (I eventually got around that by buying some dirt-cheap industrial-carpeting remnant squares and using them to devise a makeshift "mud room" section by the back door -- taking those carpet squares outside and shaking the dirt out of them was obviously much easier than cleaning a permanently installed carpet -- but IMO the fact that I needed to resort to such a makeshift in the first place was an example of shitty design.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Nov 2018, 20:53

Did I ever mention that we had deep pile blue-green shag carpeting in the kitchen of the house we lived in when I was 11-17?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Nov 2018, 21:11

Yikes. Even the misanthropic psychopath who designed my horrible Virginia townhouse didn't go that far.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Nov 2018, 22:09

Warren wrote:Did I ever mention that we had deep pile blue-green shag carpeting in the kitchen of the house we lived in when I was 11-17?
My living room growing up has that blue green shag

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Nov 2018, 22:35

JasonL wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 22:09
Warren wrote:Did I ever mention that we had deep pile blue-green shag carpeting in the kitchen of the house we lived in when I was 11-17?
My living room growing up has that blue green shag
Did you have a carpet rake?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Nov 2018, 13:05

Up most of the night with sick kids and ended up watching a ton of House Doctor on Netflix. The premise of the show is that an American designer comes in and helps redecorate British houses that have been on the market for a long time. I personally find the designer annoying and her taste questionable, but it was fun seeing all the British houses. There is SO MUCH CARPET EVERYWHERE. And not even beige-y carpet. Weird dark blues and greens. Every room. Everywhere. On an American sell-your-house TV show, yanking up carpet would be the first thing they'd be recommending, but here they just ignore it or put ANOTHER rug over the top of it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Nov 2018, 13:24

Ellie wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 13:05
Up most of the night with sick kids and ended up watching a ton of House Doctor on Netflix. The premise of the show is that an American designer comes in and helps redecorate British houses that have been on the market for a long time. I personally find the designer annoying and her taste questionable, but it was fun seeing all the British houses. There is SO MUCH CARPET EVERYWHERE. And not even beige-y carpet. Weird dark blues and greens. Every room. Everywhere. On an American sell-your-house TV show, yanking up carpet would be the first thing they'd be recommending, but here they just ignore it or put ANOTHER rug over the top of it.
Trading Spaces was an American copy of the British Trading Rooms. After TS had peaked, TLC started airing old episodes of TR. I remember being aghast at groups of upstanding middle-class adults standing in rooms painted in retina searing contrasting colors all smiling and nodding and praising how attractive and tasteful it all was.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT