Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jennifer » 22 Oct 2018, 19:57

Yeah, but even when your kids are in the living room aaaall daaaay, I'll wager they're not spending all day sitting quietly with their picture books or whatever; they also run around and burn energy. And IIRC your living room alone is much larger than a typical tiny house.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Oct 2018, 19:59

I'm gonna go ahead and tap out as it's a little weird arguing about what my kids act like with someone who's never actually met them. :) No hard feelings, just also no way either of us is going to get convinced by the other!
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Oct 2018, 20:01

Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else; I'd thought it was you who posted the photo of the indoor-water-park setup once. Sorry for the confusion!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Oct 2018, 20:05

Hahaha, I'd forgotten about that. That idea was a DISASTER. :lol: And nobody even played on it in the end.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Oct 2018, 20:07

Am I also mis-remembering you as the mom who posted pix of her toddlers climbing all over various stacked boxes and whatnot? Maybe the reason you can't remember your kids ever burning more calories than necessary to change a TV channel or turn the page of a book is, your psyche is suppressing it to spare you the trauma. :P

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Oct 2018, 20:08

Cooking for others is fundamentally social to me. Open forever. My stated - if slightly tongue in cheek - requirements for my next hood are 1) I should be suck a chicken wing directly off of my cooktop and blow it outside and 2) it should make no sound in the process.

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Oct 2018, 20:56

What Jason said.

Though a tiny house recording studio would be fucking dope. Hvac would be kinda ridiculous tho.
Time to play powerball.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Oct 2018, 21:56

Tiny house is best version of in-law suite / studio.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 22 Oct 2018, 22:04

JasonL wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 20:08
Cooking for others is fundamentally social to me. Open forever. My stated - if slightly tongue in cheek - requirements for my next hood are 1) I should be suck a chicken wing directly off of my cooktop and blow it outside and 2) it should make no sound in the process.
I feel like there's like three categories here.

(1) You don't cook. In this case you want an open-plan kitchen. Why? Because no one is actually cooking, so there's nothing to insulate; but the kitchen makes a great place to put the chips and dip, and it's easy for people to find the fridge to get drinks.

(2) You cook before/in order to throw parties. You want a closed kitchen so you can hide all the mess you made cooking during the party, and then clean it after.

(3) You cook during parties/as a social activity. You want an open plan kitchen so you can talk to your guests and as a social activity.

I'm like halfway between 2 and 3, personally.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Oct 2018, 22:12

JasonL wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 21:56
Tiny house is best version of in-law suite / studio.
Yes, this is true. And if it's narrow and on wheels it can be classed as an RV and get around zoning restrictions. Although I wonder how expensive it is to have water/power/sewer run to another part of the same lot? There are SO many people on Tiny House Hunters (usually the ones crowing about "true financial freedom") who plan to park the house on their parents' or friend's land. I don't see solar panels or black water tanks or any other evidence of boondocking so I'm assuming they're getting hookups. I want to see THAT part of the planning process!

Unrelated: I've seen a few lesbian couples on here so far, but no gay male couples. Maybe this is an extension of the stereotype? For your second date you get a U-haul; for your honeymoon you get a whole house on wheels?
Jadagul wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 22:04
JasonL wrote:

(1) You don't cook. In this case you want an open-plan kitchen. Why? Because no one is actually cooking, so there's nothing to insulate; but the kitchen makes a great place to put the chips and dip, and it's easy for people to find the fridge to get drinks.

(2) You cook before/in order to throw parties. You want a closed kitchen so you can hide all the mess you made cooking during the party, and then clean it after.

(3) You cook during parties/as a social activity. You want an open plan kitchen so you can talk to your guests and as a social activity.

For me it's like: how many days a year am I actually having other people over and cooking for them? Versus, how many days a year am I making Indian food and bathing the whole house in sauteed onion funk? Because one of those numbers is many many times bigger than the other and cries out for a very powerful kitchen ventilation system.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Oct 2018, 23:29

Oh man! I’m constantly ranting about vent hoods and open shelving in the kitchen when watching remodeling shows. Like “Jesus Christ,why don’t you just put your family in a pig sty where they can wallow in their own shit and then you can throw dinner in there and let them root around for it.

The intriacately carved wooden hoods are the worst. And don’t even get me started on textured tiled backsplash.
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Oct 2018, 00:14

Ellie wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 12:49
For exteriors, you need one to look like an ultramodern metal box, one to look like a tiny cottage, and one to look like a log cabin (these are the three looks that everyone fights over). Make sure they have a deck or large porch because god fucking forbid you put a lawn chair down on the grass like a common person. (If you can get a roof deck, EVEN BETTER.)

Interiors should be wood everywhere. Beetle kill pine if you can get it; tiny house people are super gay for that. Ladder to loft with vaulted ceiling. Four-burner gas stove in kitchen. Cowboy tub and regular sink in the bathroom. Don't put the bathroom door next to the kitchen, that's too icky for tiny house people. No need to worry about storage space, nobody else does apparently. Unless it's really twee storage like a bookshelf ladder. Lots and lots of windows because tiny house people are exhibitionists I guess. Lots of open shelving and Mason jars. As much living room seating as you can cram in there "for entertaining." Dining area that cleverly pulls down/out of somewhere else, no matter how much of a pain it is, the more ingenious a transformation the better. (Edited to add: oh, and a throw pillow that says "Home Sweet Home.")

In your ad, be sure to include the catchphrase of "valuing experiences, not things."

You'll make a mint.
You should invest in my future idioti ... hipst ... minimalistic living spaces near ski zones!!!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Oct 2018, 00:31

JasonL wrote:
Yeah if you have magic hood sure. I have never lived with nor will I ever afford magic hood. Also, if people talk to me while I cook, shit burns. One time with actual fire.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 23 Oct 2018, 00:45

Warren wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 23:29
Oh man! I’m constantly ranting about vent hoods and open shelving in the kitchen when watching remodeling shows. Like “Jesus Christ,why don’t you just put your family in a pig sty where they can wallow in their own shit and then you can throw dinner in there and let them root around for it.

The intriacately carved wooden hoods are the worst. And don’t even get me started on textured tiled backsplash.
Okay, I am 100% committed to open shelving. I am tempted to go through and just take off the doors on all the cabinets in the kitchen and hide them somewhere.

I literally never close them. That makes it harder to get to stuff.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Oct 2018, 00:48

Nooooooooo, cabinet doors forever!

Actually, I took the doors off a couple cabinets (e.g. to put the microwave in which sticks out a bit) and it was really easy and made the exact difference I wanted in the kitchen. So go for it.

I'll just secretly hate your kitchen then ;)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Oct 2018, 01:27

Jadagul wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 00:45
Warren wrote:

Okay, I am 100% committed to open shelving. I am tempted to go through and just take off the doors on all the cabinets in the kitchen and hide them somewhere.

Serious question -- given that you actually cook, rather than merely put frozen dinners in the microwave -- if your cabinets are always open, how do you keep that particular greasy kitchen-dust from getting over everything? Unless, perhaps, you have such a small collection of dishware and cookware that nothing sits around longer than a couple of days before being used and then washed?

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 23 Oct 2018, 02:15

Jennifer wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 01:27
Jadagul wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 00:45
Warren wrote:

Serious question -- given that you actually cook, rather than merely put frozen dinners in the microwave -- if your cabinets are always open, how do you keep that particular greasy kitchen-dust from getting over everything? Unless, perhaps, you have such a small collection of dishware and cookware that nothing sits around longer than a couple of days before being used and then washed?
Partly frequent use; the stuff that's near the stove gets used pretty regularly.

The cabinets are mostly on the opposite side of the kitchen, and with religious use of the oven vent I do have and common use of splatter guards, it's mostly safe. (My actual dishes aren't in the kitchen at all, because they don't fit, and so aren't an issue---the cabinets are mostly food, plus some pots and some tupperware/pyrex storage containers).

But I do tend to rinse things off before using them to be safe.

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Oct 2018, 07:31

Jadagul wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 22:04
JasonL wrote:

You seem to have left out the categories involving not having people over.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Oct 2018, 10:17

My ideal cabinetry situation would involve custom cut, planned spaces, and modular storage. Something like what henrybuilt does - notice things like the bar block that has small rack for most used spices, or the backsplash with integrated magnetic knife storage and wall hangers etc. It's very well thought out as a concept.

https://henrybuilt.com/page/kitchen-intro

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Oct 2018, 11:04

I'd also love to know what the depreciation/resale is like for these tiny homes. Seems like there's a pretty booming business for tiny house builders at the moment, which makes sense in a growing trend because demand far outweighs current inventory. But I'm sure there's a high attrition rate of people giving up in a few months or years and wanting to go back to a regular house in a regular neighborhood (never mind usual reasons to move like "I just got a great new job in downtown wherever and so I need to find a new house closer to work"). How hard is it to sell a "used" tiny house? It will be interesting to see where this levels off.

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Oct 2018, 11:07

Jadagul wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 16:46
JasonL wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 16:24
Mo wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 16:05
I was able to find a number of 3-4 bedroom flats in London. Granted, they weren’t the norm, but they weren’t rare.
How does it work there - are they leased or owned or rented or what?
Every major metro area has some large apartments. (The point of the Manhattan penthouse suites is that you get an entire fucking floor of the building to yourself sometimes). The problem is that they're expensive.

But if you allow more development, the same amount of space will cost less money. (Because the supply will increase and be cheaper to provide, and thus the equilibrium price will drop). You'll never get the costs down to the same thing it would cost in the suburbs. As you say, building up is genuinely more expensive. But there's a big difference between the same amount of space costing three times as much or ten times as much.

I'm currently living in a 2.5 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment in a nice building in a nice part of town for a bit under 3k a month. You're never going to get that down to the, like, $7-800 a month it would cost to get a 3-bedroom house in Ames, or whatever. (That house will have way more yard, but also way less in terms of immediately available service; I have a doorman to collect packages, and during the day I can get maintenance into my apartment in under twenty minutes for free). But getting it down from 3k to 2k would be a huge win for everyone.
Yeah I've been in larger apartments for a long time. In older housing stock, because new big apartments are too expensive. I've mentioned before that a ton of new luxury development here is studios and 1-beds, but there's also (even more expensive) stuff getting built in the 3- and 4-bedroom range. But you can extremely live in a rehabbed-but-not-super-recently older building in a 3-bedroom apartment in lots of parts of the city for $1500-$2000.

Even my current apartment, which is 3-bed, 2.5-bath and MUCH smaller than my previous 3-bed, 3-bath apartment, is significantly bigger than my parents' suburban 3-bedroom house in terms of square footage.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Oct 2018, 15:25

Ellie wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 11:04
I'd also love to know what the depreciation/resale is like for these tiny homes. Seems like there's a pretty booming business for tiny house builders at the moment, which makes sense in a growing trend because demand far outweighs current inventory. But I'm sure there's a high attrition rate of people giving up in a few months or years and wanting to go back to a regular house in a regular neighborhood (never mind usual reasons to move like "I just got a great new job in downtown wherever and so I need to find a new house closer to work"). How hard is it to sell a "used" tiny house? It will be interesting to see where this levels off.
Perusing the listings available at Tinyhouselistings.com, I'd say the resale value is "not good." I don't see an option for listing the offerings in ascending or descending order of price (or if there is such an option, my script-blockers are preventing it), but after going through the first couple of pages (after searching only for "tiny house" and "tiny house trailer," no "RV," "cabin," "converted bus" or other options on the drop-down list) I'm seeing a couple actual houses-on-wheels selling for as little as $12k. Which is still an outrageously high price per square foot (those houses are under 100 square feet), but given that I've read building a tiny house from scratch can cost almost as much as building a normal house -- high five or low six figures -- I'll guess those people are trying to sell at a loss.

That said: I'm also not seeing an option to show recent sales -- this website shows how much people are asking for their tiny homes, not how much they're actually GETTING. And, while some of the options are cheap enough to buy for cash, there's others where people are trying to sell theirs nearly at full-house prices, like this one: a 399 sq. ft cabin (immobile) for $125,900, plus $550 monthly fees because it's built in "a socially designed tiny house community where lifestyle and minimal footprint are the priorities." Community amenities include a yoga room, because of course it does.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Oct 2018, 18:05

Here's a wheeled tiny house for only $9,500, including microwave oven, flat-screen TV, queen-size bed and similar furnishings. It would make a really cool backyard playhouse for a rich little kid, and if you're the trailer-camping type that's actually cheaper than what most used camper-trailers of similar quality cost -- except that camper-trailers generally have at least some actual cooking capacity beyond a microwave oven. And some fridge/cold-food-storage capacity, whereas this tiny house does not.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 24 Oct 2018, 09:14

JasonL wrote:
If you ever find this, let me know.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Oct 2018, 12:28

Jennifer wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 18:05
Here's a wheeled tiny house for only $9,500, including microwave oven, flat-screen TV, queen-size bed and similar furnishings. It would make a really cool backyard playhouse for a rich little kid, and if you're the trailer-camping type that's actually cheaper than what most used camper-trailers of similar quality cost -- except that camper-trailers generally have at least some actual cooking capacity beyond a microwave oven. And some fridge/cold-food-storage capacity, whereas this tiny house does not.
I'm always skeptical of the structural integrity while mobile of these things. (even the ones on TV) Actual manufactured RVs and RV trailers have a coherent, integrated design and build for getting up to highway speed without rattling apart. I have no idea how good a structure normally used to static loads can handle dynamic stress.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex