Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jennifer

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2018, 18:12

If you've ever posted pictures of the beam I do not recall them, but -- could you possibly do something with it to make it less sucky from your perspective? Use ceiling push-pins to dangle decorations from them (not so low as to get in you and David's way, of course), hang a curtain (or decorative sheet serving the same purpose) from it, a hippie bead-curtain, something to change it from "an irritating distraction" to "something you actually kinda like"?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2018, 18:15

It's not a distraction so much as a division. It just FEELS like a transition from one room to another. I think putting anything on it would only call attention to that more.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Oct 2018, 18:43

living room.jpg
living room.jpg (16.96 KiB) Viewed 166 times
There's your problem
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2018, 18:55

I've got 99 problems and piles of crap are only one of them

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2018, 19:08

What is the "pile of crap," though? Is it stuff you need or want but have no defined place for, or is it unwanted junk you haven't got around to discarding?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Oct 2018, 19:20

It's a constantly shifting cluster of stuff that drifts in and out on the tides of life. Somehow because there's no defined purpose for that space it attracts random crap until the corner fills up, and then it stops attracting, and things get put away in their proper places, and it gets cleared, and then it attracts more.

It's not really a significant feature of the room or the way we use it; I was mostly marking it that way to indicate we aren't doing anything with that corner, furniture-related or otherwise, at the moment.

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Oct 2018, 15:14

Since you don't like the idea of having seating in the middle of the room where people would walk behind you, what about having the TV as the divider instead? Because I agree that it seems like the TV is too far away from the left-most wall where the bed is. I'm wondering if you could compress that TV viewing area by moving the TV to the middle or middle-top of the room.

I guess it is a little weird to do that with a TV but I don't see why, considering what today's TVs look like.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Oct 2018, 15:16

tv against wall in the space between the doors going outside and both sofa/couch things next to each other at whatever appropriate distance is appropriate?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Oct 2018, 15:27

nicole wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 15:14
What about having the TV as the divider instead? Because I agree that it seems like the TV is too far away from the left-most wall where the bed is. I'm wondering if you could compress that TV viewing area by moving the TV to the middle or middle-top of the room.
Unfortunately, the problem with that is that there still isn't anywhere to put seating for more than two people.
dhex wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 15:16
tv against wall in the space between the doors going outside and both sofa/couch things next to each other at whatever appropriate distance is appropriate?
There really isn't anywhere to cram David's setup. If you try to tuck it along the left-hand wall, it sticks out into the hallway; if you put it against the right-hand wall it's blocking the walkway out of the dining area. If you put it in the middle then the computer isn't up against anything and WILL get kicked over, because my children are monsters.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Oct 2018, 15:28

By the way, I really really really appreciate everyone's ideas and input! It is meaningful to me that you're giving your time to this problem. And your solutions are all really good for normal people with normal furniture. I hope I'm not coming off like a dour, resentful naysayer when I explain why the ideas don't work.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Oct 2018, 15:42

Could you do low table / stand / shelving halfway across the separation into the dining room, put the TV on that, love seat where david's setup is now facing the TV, Davids setup in 8' sec angled toward tv, kiddie corner along 11' section, something something?

IOW embrace the separation, but make it the TV + stand not the seating so maybe less going insane?

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Oct 2018, 16:14

Ellie wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 15:28
By the way, I really really really appreciate everyone's ideas and input! It is meaningful to me that you're giving your time to this problem. And your solutions are all really good for normal people with normal furniture. I hope I'm not coming off like a dour, resentful naysayer when I explain why the ideas don't work.
no worries dude. it's hard to plan without seeing a space, and planning for a space kinda sucks anyway. plus i only got one kid and one professor so outside of keeping breakables away from them my space issues are far less.

i usually set up a document in illustrator using a 1' to 1" ratio with the grid turned on. this way i can make furniture blockouts in various colors and labels and spend two hours with dr. no spacial imagination whatsofuckingever moving fake couches around and shit. it only took about fifteen years to get a really good system going where she doesn't question my superior interior decorating skills.

i feel like this veered into ptsd induced suicide note territory so good luck with your rearrangement. charlie's in the treeline and she doesn't know the difference between charcoal and heather...
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Oct 2018, 16:16

Pham Nuwen wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 01:39
I used some dhex'ese but think i got a straight answer.
totally forgot to ask about this but did you mean you were witty and charming with subtle but undeniable bde or you drank half a bottle of cough syrup and played youtube road rage videos?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Oct 2018, 16:16

I’m a lover of the open plan and the base assumptions of such spaces is use of seating to create separation. For the most part irrespective of anything else, if you can’t deal with seating defining space you need lots of little rooms.

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Oct 2018, 18:08

dhex wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 16:14
Ellie wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 15:28
no worries dude. it's hard to plan without seeing a space, and planning for a space kinda sucks anyway. plus i only got one kid and one professor so outside of keeping breakables away from them my space issues are far less.

i usually set up a document in illustrator using a 1' to 1" ratio with the grid turned on. this way i can make furniture blockouts in various colors and labels and spend two hours with dr. no spacial imagination whatsofuckingever moving fake couches around and shit. it only took about fifteen years to get a really good system going where she doesn't question my superior interior decorating skills.

i feel like this veered into ptsd induced suicide note territory so good luck with your rearrangement. charlie's in the treeline and she doesn't know the difference between charcoal and heather...
hahahhaahahaha

15 years, eh, so i only have one year left then...
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 11 Oct 2018, 22:10

dhex wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 16:16
Pham Nuwen wrote:
totally forgot to ask about this but did you mean you were witty and charming with subtle but undeniable bde or you drank half a bottle of cough syrup and played youtube road rage videos?
I feel there is an insult aimed at me but can't figure out what it is. You are inscrutable to me sometimes/most of the time.

Also. I just asked one sister questions. Then went to the next one. And finally to traveller. Just kind of looked at everyone's answers and was all, "Yeah. Not an issue. But goddamn you broads are awful at communication."
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 11 Oct 2018, 23:58

Pham Nuwen wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 22:10
dhex wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:
I feel there is an insult aimed at me but can't figure out what it is. You are inscrutable to me sometimes/most of the time.
I think dhex is making fun of himself :)

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 12 Oct 2018, 00:43

Ellie wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 23:58
I think dhex is making fun of himself :)
But how do we KNOW, ellie? How do we know? Do you expect the esoteric and mysterious dhex to just give up his wisdom? Like the sphinx lying in the desert ... he merely perplexes with his hints of ancient and forbidden knowledge.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Oct 2018, 20:52

JasonL wrote:
I’m a lover of the open plan and the base assumptions of such spaces is use of seating to create separation. For the most part irrespective of anything else, if you can’t deal with seating defining space you need lots of little rooms.
It's a bit of a catch-22 because I don't want seating-defined spaces but I also don't want lots of little rooms -- I need to be able to see the kids most of the time lest they tear the place down around us. There needs to be some kind of interior decorating for paranoid people and spies, or something. Arrangements where you have your back to a wall but can still see everything :lol:

Talking about open plans and kids also reminds me of a home buying show I saw a while back, featuring a family with a mom, dad, and teenagers. The parents were saying they needed to move out of their current open-plan house because they'd really wanted an open plan when the kids were little, but now everyone was getting on each other's nerves and they needed a place with a lot more doors :lol:

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Oct 2018, 22:27

Pham Nuwen wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 22:10
dhex wrote:
Pham Nuwen wrote:

nah no insults. I'm poking fun at myself that my two speeds are overly friendly or curiously incoherent

Also. I just asked one sister questions. Then went to the next one. And finally to traveller. Just kind of looked at everyone's answers and was all, "Yeah. Not an issue. But goddamn you broads are awful at communication."
That's smart man. Communication is difficult.

My in laws are malignant fuck wits so my framework is aggressively cautious.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Oct 2018, 03:05

Ellie wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 20:52
JasonL wrote:
It's a bit of a catch-22 because I don't want seating-defined spaces but I also don't want lots of little rooms -- I need to be able to see the kids most of the time lest they tear the place down around us. There needs to be some kind of interior decorating for paranoid people and spies, or something. Arrangements where you have your back to a wall but can still see everything :lol:
Mirrors? This is a clever (and very affordable) setup I saw on the "Frugal" subreddit yesterday (if you click the link, the guy says he and his girlfriend found those closet mirrors for $4 each):

Jake

Post by Jake » 13 Oct 2018, 12:45

Jennifer wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 03:05
Mirrors?
And that has the extra bonus of making the room look bigger, and therefore making messes look bigger, thus compelling you to clean them up when they're only half as big as they look, thus making the cleanup time take half as long as expected, and thus making cleaning up messes less miserable! It's a win-win-win! ;)
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Oct 2018, 15:48

If not for the fact that my own walls are already occupied by either high bookcases or various decorative thingamajigs, I'd be tempted to try such a mirror array myself. Even do it on both walls for an infinity-mirror setup.

Another thought -- this is just tossing out any idea that comes to mind -- if Ellie is specifically concerned about the need to keep an eye on the kids, but does NOT like the idea of an entire mirrored wall, what about something like those convex mirrors you see at certain traffic intersections, to let drivers know what's coming down roads not in regular line of sight? (Or in certain stores, to let clerks keep an eye on would-be shoplifters?) Put a couple in high corners, so that no place in the big common room is invisible, no matter where you are sitting and what direction you look?