Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Highway » 19 Jul 2018, 11:54

JasonL wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 10:21
My internal home water pressure is meh but acceptable. My external spigots basically just drool. I don’t get it.
Is this a recognizable change? Like "the water from the shower used to hit this part of the wall, now it hits this other part"? Or is it just "it's always kinda been like this, but I don't like it very much, and have decided to change it"?

If you're on "city" water you should contact them to find out if there is a situation in your area. It's possible that they have had to reroute some water supply, and it's a temporary condition that you have no control over, and couldn't do anything about if you tried. If there's nothing like that, then tell them that your water pressure appears to have decreased, and you'd like to know if there's a problem with your local supply line.

If you're on a well, then it's likely either you have an old dying pump or you have a clog somewhere. That would be time for a plumber fishing expedition.

If it's a consistent "Every tap in the house has less flow than it had 6 months ago" then it's either the pump or the water utility company. If it's just a few taps, then a plumber could probably find where the issue is.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 19 Jul 2018, 20:38

Warren wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 10:29
JasonL wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 10:21
My internal home water pressure is meh but acceptable. My external spigots basically just drool. I don’t get it.
There has to be something choking the line. Possibly mineral deposits. Have you tried removing the spigots? You might get lucky and find the clog.
The frog speaks the truth. External spigots are generally builder grade at best and because they are gate valve the seat washers have a nasty tendency to degrade and then block the flow when they let loose from the valve.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 01 Aug 2018, 18:32

Well this sucks, but we also have a policy that we won't ever openly advertise it anyway and will only rent to people we know or someone we know recommends (our rental is a back house about 10 feet from our bedroom window, so we'll just leave it off the market before renting it to randos):

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... story.html
San Diego is cracking down on income discrimination by landlords with a new policy prohibiting the rejection of potential tenants based on their use of federal housing vouchers.
No more ads that say "no section 8"
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Aug 2018, 19:06

dead_elvis wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 18:32
Well this sucks, but we also have a policy that we won't ever openly advertise it anyway and will only rent to people we know or someone we know recommends (our rental is a back house about 10 feet from our bedroom window, so we'll just leave it off the market before renting it to randos):

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... story.html
San Diego is cracking down on income discrimination by landlords with a new policy prohibiting the rejection of potential tenants based on their use of federal housing vouchers.
No more ads that say "no section 8"
See, this is the thing I've never understood -- at least involving small-time landlords such as yourself, as opposed to companies that own mega-sized rental complexes -- how can they actually require Section 8 acceptance? Because my understanding -- based on a half-remembered website I researched for some long-ago journalism piece or something -- is that a landlord may not simply decide to "accept" a housing voucher, the way you can decide to accept cash, checks or a money order -- you have to, like, register with whoever handles Section 8 in your city or state, and they likely have to inspect the unit to make sure it meets their standards -- in other words, becoming a legal Section 8 landlord requires additional upfront work over and above whatever rules and regs a regular landlord has to deal with. It's like deciding to accept credit cards in addition to cash -- when I used to make extra money selling at flea markets, and later on eBay (before they imposed mandatory PayPal and other "make it suck for the sellers" measures), I did not accept credit cards -- not because I had any prejudice against cards or the people who use them, but because for a small-time penny-ante seller like me, it plain wasn't worth the effort of contacting VISA and MasterCard and making whatever arrangements I'd need to accept credit card payments. (And I recall one very angry douchebag of a man at the Danielson flea market who couldn't seem to grok that my refusal to accept his card as payment for something he wanted was based on the fact that it was literally impossible for me to accept a credit card payment from him that day.)

And if I had a property to rent right now, it is similarly impossible for me to accept a Section 8 voucher as payment. Section 8 vouchers are not cash equivalents which can be spent by anybody who has one; only officially approved Section 8 landlords can accept those vouchers and somehow-or-other have them turned into actual money the landlord can spend. So does this law mean -- what? If you're advertising a place for rent and someone comes to you with a Section 8 voucher, you are now required to contact HUD or whoever and apply to become a Section 8 landlord?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Aug 2018, 10:32

Jennifer wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 19:06
So does this law mean -- what? If you're advertising a place for rent and someone comes to you with a Section 8 voucher, you are now required to contact HUD or whoever and apply to become a Section 8 landlord?
Basically. And that's the gist of the complaints- that it's not really about where the money comes from, it's that there's an extra layer of bureaucracy and inspections that can delay occupancy and cost more money. I mean, I get that the gov't wants subsidized housing money to pay for a certain standard of decency. But unlike renting to a non-section 8 renter, there's no option for in exchange for not waiting a month for inspections, having to fix something and then wait for another inspection, how about I just keep the place up to your standards and you trust us on that.

And this doesn't even get to the issue of anecdotes about section 8 tenants, over-pricing kickback schemes, and how this simply provides incentive to figure out proxy ways to discriminate, since you are still allowed to screen tenants in all the other ways allowed before. I actually doubt this will change much.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Aug 2018, 11:26

Definitely will result in more housing options.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Aug 2018, 14:13

I am very surprised they're not making an exception for smalltime landlords of the "I want to rent out the other half of my duplex" or "I have an in-law apartment available" variety, the way small landlords are exempted from other anti-discrimination laws (such as, it's my understanding that if I had a duplex, or lived in one unit of a small multi-unit building I owned, I would be allowed to discriminate a la "Women only; no men," whereas of course a large apartment complex would not be allowed to make such rules).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Aug 2018, 08:24

I've had a summer of annoying insect bites, in some cases pretty bad. Was a bit of a mystery as it seemed to be in the house- bedroom particular. Bites not consistent with spider or bedbug profiles - more like mosquitoes but I haven't seen any. Against the white backdrop of my comforter this morning I saw 3-5 tiny flying critters I now suspect are no-see-ums / sandflies / biting midges. There seems to be no consensus reliable way to get rid of them including fumigation. Great.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Aug 2018, 10:10

JasonL wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 08:24
I've had a summer of annoying insect bites, in some cases pretty bad. Was a bit of a mystery as it seemed to be in the house- bedroom particular. Bites not consistent with spider or bedbug profiles - more like mosquitoes but I haven't seen any. Against the white backdrop of my comforter this morning I saw 3-5 tiny flying critters I now suspect are no-see-ums / sandflies / biting midges. There seems to be no consensus reliable way to get rid of them including fumigation. Great.
:shock:
[Nope gif]
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Aug 2018, 15:04

Ugh. Maybe try some of those hanging sticky-paper fly traps in areas where they are particularly fond of flying? Also, I doubt my quickie Google search found any more useful information than you undoubtedly deeper search, but I've read that they are very weak flyers, weak enough that a fan is often enough to keep them away. If they are living in your bedroom, and you do not already have a ceiling fan there, maybe set up some box fans so that the air over your bed is constantly in movement while you're in it.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Aug 2018, 09:23

Had a couple of pieces of siding replaced and was pleasantly surprised at the color match which I'd been warned about. You can't tell at all really.

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Aug 2018, 09:44

Yeah, I had good luck with that when I had to get mine replaced also. If you can go to a siding supply company, you're a lot better off than if you just grab whatever's closest at Home Depot. I'm convinced what we got is actually the exact same as what we originally had.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Aug 2018, 11:01

We had a couple of pieces of siding replaced when the new deck was installed. You can totally tell... if you're looking for it. House is white vinyl well yellowed with age. New siding is bright white next to it. But you still wouldn't notice if you weren't looking for it. Probably because it's down at foot level and the grey deck makes even the old yellow siding look white.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Aug 2018, 11:26

We were actually really surprised at how little the color had changed on our siding. Even for a portion that is in the sun for a good amount of the day, it really hadn't changed color (maybe because our siding is pretty much the yellowish color that every other siding color approaches). The only difference you could tell looking at the old next to the new is that the new is shinier.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Aug 2018, 18:47

Ahh, my long-suffering spouse. David never knows what kind of new idea I'm going to get briefly obsessed with (nor if I will abandon it and move on to the next thing, or try to make it a reality). Today I'm emailing him about installing a composting toilet in our hall closet :D :D :D
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Aug 2018, 18:48

And of course, if I *do* start a project, I will never actually finish it. :lol:

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2018, 19:23

Ellie wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 18:47
Today I'm emailing him about installing a composting toilet in our hall closet
:roll:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Aug 2018, 19:29

I have always wanted a composting toilet. The heart wants what it wants, Warren.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2018, 15:01

Improvement to the front walk.
walk phase II.jpg
walk phase II.jpg (323.38 KiB) Viewed 80 times
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Sep 2018, 15:26

Are the shrubberies at different heights so you get the two-level effect with the little path down the middle?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2018, 15:42

Andrew wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 15:26
Are the shrubberies at different heights so you get the two-level effect with the little path down the middle?
The shrubberies are different heights. Not by design though. The were just different sizes when we moved in and I've been trimming them up square when they need trimming. The small one right next to the step is dying. I cut most of the dead stalks out earlier this year. You can see the few spindly stalks with yellow leaves in the pic. New little ones from trimmings that have taken root are sprouting up to take it's place though. You can see them in the undergrowth there.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 17 Sep 2018, 17:49

Warren wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 15:42
Andrew wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 15:26
The shrubberies are different heights. Not by design though. The were just different sizes when we moved in and I've been trimming them up square when they need trimming. The small one right next to the step is dying. I cut most of the dead stalks out earlier this year. You can see the few spindly stalks with yellow leaves in the pic. New little ones from trimmings that have taken root are sprouting up to take it's place though. You can see them in the undergrowth there.
I request that one of them be trimmed into the shape of a herring.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 17 Sep 2018, 17:53

This kitchen faucet is a tremendous upgrade over lower profile, lesser goose necked things I've had in the past.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » Yesterday, 13:32

The current abode has GE Profile appliances. All of them suck in some form or fashion. I'm glad I sold most of my GE stock.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » Yesterday, 13:56

Ellie inspired me to organize our pantry*. She even alerted me to a sale on the Elfa Mesh Easy Gliders.
I love my mod <3<3 <3

Pantry - before & after.jpg
Pantry - before & after.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 14 times

*Circle of life whoaaa
THIS SPACE FOR RENT