Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Highway » 18 May 2018, 14:25

I definitely prefer vinyl planking over anything else in that price range, as in cheap carpeting and cheap laminate wood. The laminate wood looks just horrible in those ranges: repeating patterns that look like a picture of wood on the floor.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 18 May 2018, 14:35

Yeah, at the $2/sqft range vinyl is the way to go. The newer laminate isn't as prone to chipping as the old formica based stuff is but yeah, the patterns are horrible.
A buddy had "groutable tile" similar to these put in:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMAST ... /206394138

Those are nice but not as DIY friendly. Looks like tile, feels solid like tile, springs just a bit under the feet so you don't mind walking on them in socks and it stays warm unlike tile.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 May 2018, 14:54

If you can do it without any seams, then I actually think that sheet vinyl is a good choice. But that's a hard condition to meet, and if there are seams, there are problems.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 18 May 2018, 16:13

Spent about an hour last night snaking the upstairs toilet.

Then spend another hour in a hot shower with lye soap.

*shudder*
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 May 2018, 16:35

Kwix wrote:
18 May 2018, 13:59
Ellie wrote:
17 May 2018, 22:00
Daydreaming about replacing our getting-grosser-by-the-day carpeting (thanks SO much, children) on the first floor of our house. Eyeing this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMAST ... /202075775
I personally don't like vinyl floors; it's an aesthetic thing. For your purposes it's water resistant, easy to clean up, pretty much impervious to rug rats, cheap, and not terrible to look at. As long as your subfloor is smooth it's a pretty easy DIY install as well. If not, then 1/4" luan glued and screwed over the subfloor you have will probably work fine.

I say do it.

We are looking at something like this for our place because of hardness vs price:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decora ... /205859858
Woohoo, David is sold on it! Here's hoping Home Depot will have a Memorial Day sale we can take advantage of.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 May 2018, 22:58

Hmm ... I'm waffling about doing a peel-and-stick vinyl floor instead. It would require a lot more prep work to get the subfloor ready. But it seems like it might be a little easier to install than the floating floor kind (not having to make sure to leave the spacing on the edges, for instance) and it also sounds like if one particular tile gets really damaged, you can rip it up and put down a replacement. And it will cost about $400 less ($500 versus $900 for the flooring).

The main appeal is the possibility of replacing individual tiles. This stuff sounds quite durable, but guys, my children are monsters. (And, let's be honest, I've dragged heavy furniture around and fucked up a floor or two in my time.)

The subfloor in the main living/dining area, under the carpeting, is plywood (I think? Some kind of very flat smooth wood [edited to add: it might be particleboard. GUYS WOOD IS CONFUSING OKAY]) The subfloor in the kitchen and foyer is planks of wood with 80s vinyl over the top that's leaving some paper residue when pulled up. I'll spend some time tomorrow poking at it and then decide.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 May 2018, 12:41

Peel-and-stick doesn't come in any pale wood colors, which is what we'd like to get. But now that I'd mentally prepared for peel-and-stick, the floating floor sounds extra hard and extra expensive! *flops around in agonies of indecision*

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 22 May 2018, 12:50

So apparently the wife has contacted some foundation experts to look over our basement today. She's worried they will try to sell her something. GODDAMMIT LADY OF COURSE THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL YOU THEIR SERVICE! YOU THINK THEY ARE GOING TO LOOK OVER THE BASEMENT OUT OF THE GOODNESS OF THEIR HEARTS??????!!!!!!!!????
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 May 2018, 17:17

Pham Nuwen wrote:
22 May 2018, 12:50
So apparently the wife has contacted some foundation experts to look over our basement today. She's worried they will try to sell her something. GODDAMMIT LADY OF COURSE THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL YOU THEIR SERVICE! YOU THINK THEY ARE GOING TO LOOK OVER THE BASEMENT OUT OF THE GOODNESS OF THEIR HEARTS??????!!!!!!!!????
But there's something in particular you want them to take care of though right? I mean otherwise why schedule them to come out?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 22 May 2018, 19:38

Yes warren but in my experience what is put down in writing is way more important than what a consultant would say. Let them look around and do their thing. Assume everything they say is exaggerated and have them put in writing what they recommend and what the price tag is. Then do the same with at least 2 other companies.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 May 2018, 08:53

Dryer heating element died. Unit not that old so we just got it fixed for like $150 even though replacement value is only probably $500 ish for the thing we have. Guy offered us an appliance home warranty program - $50 per month every month forever so you don't have to pay $150 for replacement of $500 repair in an an even that happens maybe once every 10 years. FFS people must be doing that.

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 May 2018, 09:07

JasonL wrote:
23 May 2018, 08:53
Dryer heating element died. Unit not that old so we just got it fixed for like $150 even though replacement value is only probably $500 ish for the thing we have. Guy offered us an appliance home warranty program - $50 per month every month forever so you don't have to pay $150 for replacement of $500 repair in an an even that happens maybe once every 10 years. FFS people must be doing that.
$50 a month!? For $500 appliance? Even if the $1K washer is included that's outrageous. I mean damn you can get car insurance for less than that, and that includes liability.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 May 2018, 09:37

Warren wrote:
23 May 2018, 09:07
JasonL wrote:
23 May 2018, 08:53
$50 a month!? For $500 appliance? Even if the $1K washer is included that's outrageous. I mean damn you can get car insurance for less than that, and that includes liability.
I know. The pitch is that it covers a range of appliances simultaneously but the math is atrocious.

https://www.searshomeservices.com/home- ... ranty-plan

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 May 2018, 09:37

Yeah, 50 a month for just a dryer is ludicrous, even for washer and dryer. Maybe for one that covers every single appliance in your house, and even then it's a lot.

We actually did pay 500 for a 5 yr warranty on our new fridge, but a major factor in that was the provision that if you don't use the warranty, the full amount is given as store credit. And that will be when our washer and dryer are 11 years old, and our dishwasher is 10. So we'll have something that will probably need a replacement.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 May 2018, 09:41

This is part of the death spiral of no savings. People will spend astronomical money on a forever basis so they don't have a one time event in the $1k zone. See also extended auto warranties. Low deductible high premium insurance. Anything so you don't have to have savings.

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 May 2018, 10:14

Highway wrote:
23 May 2018, 09:37
Yeah, 50 a month for just a dryer is ludicrous, even for washer and dryer. Maybe for one that covers every single appliance in your house, and even then it's a lot.

We actually did pay 500 for a 5 yr warranty on our new fridge, but a major factor in that was the provision that if you don't use the warranty, the full amount is given as store credit. And that will be when our washer and dryer are 11 years old, and our dishwasher is 10. So we'll have something that will probably need a replacement.
So if you use the warranty it costs you $500 for what likely will be a repair that costs less than half that. If you don't use the warranty, they get the float for five years. There's the possibility that you'll need more than $500 worth of repairs, but I wouldn't have taken that bet.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 May 2018, 10:41

Given the price of the appliance and general reviews of refrigerators lately, we felt it was a worthwhile bet. Any single repair will likely be on the order of 400 dollars all-in, and it included other provisions such as an anti-lemon clause.

It's a situation where I realize that the likelihood that it will work out significantly in my favor is low, but it seemed like a reasonable insurance cost.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 May 2018, 15:08

JasonL wrote:
23 May 2018, 09:41
This is part of the death spiral of no savings. People will spend astronomical money on a forever basis so they don't have a one time event in the $1k zone. See also extended auto warranties. Low deductible high premium insurance. Anything so you don't have to have savings.
That attitude is the only reason "rent-to-own" appliance companies stay in business. What's especially facepalm-worthy is that most of them will outright tell you (albeit in very tiny print) what the total cost of buying the appliance will be -- many, many times greater than buying the same appliance outright even at the more expensive stores.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 May 2018, 19:31

Jennifer wrote:
23 May 2018, 15:08
JasonL wrote:
That attitude is the only reason "rent-to-own" appliance companies stay in business. What's especially facepalm-worthy is that most of them will outright tell you (albeit in very tiny print) what the total cost of buying the appliance will be -- many, many times greater than buying the same appliance outright even at the more expensive stores.
Lay-Away is an even bigger scam.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 23 May 2018, 19:34

Warren wrote:
23 May 2018, 19:31
Jennifer wrote:
JasonL wrote:
I'm not sure how you arrive at this conclusion. Most establishments you don't charge extra for the privilege of lay-away. Indeed, WalMart still offers it around Christmas for a two-fold reason. The first is that it might convince you to spend more than you really should (but not more than the retail price of the items). The other is that they know people use lay-away as a method of "hiding" presents from the family until a time much closer to the day of giving.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 May 2018, 19:38

Kwix wrote:
23 May 2018, 19:34
Warren wrote:
23 May 2018, 19:31
Jennifer wrote:
JasonL wrote:
I'm not sure how you arrive at this conclusion. Most establishments you don't charge extra for the privilege of lay-away. Indeed, WalMart still offers it around Christmas for a two-fold reason. The first is that it might convince you to spend more than you really should (but not more than the retail price of the items). The other is that they know people use lay-away as a method of "hiding" presents from the family until a time much closer to the day of giving.
I haven't taken a look at how Wal-Mart runs their program. What happens if you miss a payment?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 May 2018, 21:53

Typically, if you miss a payment and don't make it in the grace period (Walmart is 14 days), the merchandise is returned to the shelf and you are refunded the money paid minus a service fee of $10-20.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 24 May 2018, 11:25

Yeah, I've never heard of a lay-away program actually charging interest. It's the opposite of store credit. The smallish fee for missing a payment or reneging on the deal is basically to recover inventory shenanigans.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 May 2018, 11:26

Why would they charge interest? They're the ones sitting on the money and in possession of the merchandise (granted it's off the shelves).
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 May 2018, 11:37

I don't know the current state of lay-away, it's been probably 20 years since I read up on it. If there's only a sub $20 fee for breaking the deal, it's not the worst thing. Use to be, breaking the deal meant only getting 50% or less of what you already paid.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT