Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by JD » 13 Dec 2017, 10:32

The other morning there were men doing something up on the roof of the building. Then half a brick came tumbling down the chimney and shot out the fireplace. A workman came to the door to apologize, and he said they were working on the north wall of the building, which is crumbling. I don't know the details because this is a huge game of telephone (the workman told my wife, my wife told me, now I'm telling you) and because the landlord has not returned my phone call.

Also, my wife keeps being all "Oh, we don't need to cover the windows with the plastic sheeting yet, we have more important stuff to do" and today it is 25 degrees outside and the apartment is distinctly cold. I am trying to avoid another year of extremely high heating bills. Our apartment has windows on the east and west and a skylight and an exterior wall on the north, and the insulation is apparently pretty much nonexistent, so it's a bitch to keep the place warm.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Dec 2017, 10:38

My office is still down in the 50s every morning even with plastic.

I don't even really understand how the central hallway where the thermostat is goes down from 70 to 63 overnight. The insulation and windows are apparently that bad. But I don't feel like it was that extreme last year. Shrug.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 13 Dec 2017, 18:02

I would love to tell you about my adventures in homeownership, but as of Friday, I don't own one. Yay!

Of course, tomorrow we meet with an architect to see if my wife's grandiose ambitions are possible (hint: probably not).
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Dec 2017, 12:50

Day of petty disappointments: The refrigerator we ordered is still backordered, so it won't be available until after New Year's, and the guy coming to measure the house for carpeting got sick, so we had to reschedule that appointment for Monday.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Dec 2017, 13:17

new stuff is being installed. yay.

it's 49 degrees in the house right now and they're probably about an hour out. dang.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Dec 2017, 17:44

Heat!
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Dec 2017, 17:51

dhex wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 17:44
Heat!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Dec 2017, 21:11

And now a leak in the ceiling and my kitchen faucet is toast.

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Dec 2017, 21:16

dhex wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 21:11
And now a leak in the ceiling and my kitchen faucet is toast.
Kitchen faucet is DIY. Leaky ceiling is Oh Fuck. You absolutely need to find where the leak is coming from (which may prove difficult) and get it fixed (which may prove expensive).
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Dec 2017, 09:03

Plumber is coming this am. The faucet is interesting because they may have used a diy kit or something because no one can identify the maker or parts involved. It's not like any faucet ive ever seen.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Dec 2017, 09:11

dhex wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 09:03
Plumber is coming this am. The faucet is interesting because they may have used a diy kit or something because no one can identify the maker or parts involved. It's not like any faucet ive ever seen.
Meh. As long as you have hot and cold lines with shut-off valves under the sink, you can replace the faucet. It doesn't matter what it is if you're going to get rid of it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 18 Dec 2017, 12:06

Warren wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 09:11
dhex wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 09:03
Meh. As long as you have hot and cold lines with shut-off valves under the sink, you can replace the faucet. It doesn't matter what it is if you're going to get rid of it.
Yeah, I had a plumber do that once, and then he noticed a leak in the connection of my drain to the disposal. He suggested I do the pipe replacement ("you have a wrench?" Yeah, but not that big). I had him do both and am glad I had him do the second. Based on the difficulty, I definitely should have done the faucet replacement myself. I was right to have him do the pipe repair, though. It took a long time, a big-ass wrench, and a lot of muscle, yet it cost less than the sink replacement (they did fixed price work--it was odd, and I'm never using them again).

I now treat any faucet problem that isn't pipe-related as mine. It's either replace the cartridge, replace the aerator, or replace the faucet. None of those take longer than a half-hour, including cleanup.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Dec 2017, 14:38

i'm done with home repair for the year. i could do it, sure, but i haven't replaced a faucet in about 20 years and i'm just fucking burnt at this point.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Dec 2017, 14:45

I was shocked at how annoying it was to get my kitchen Moen system back up when it broke. The parts kit in hand, there's this thing where you have to line up 8 layers of stacked gaskets just so and prevent any slippage between the lined up parts as you tighten. That sht was infuriating. The delta kitchen system apparently makes more sense, as do other Moen's that aren't the single lever kitchen concept.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Dec 2017, 15:46

JasonL wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 14:45
I was shocked at how annoying it was to get my kitchen Moen system back up when it broke. The parts kit in hand, there's this thing where you have to line up 8 layers of stacked gaskets just so and prevent any slippage between the lined up parts as you tighten. That sht was infuriating. The delta kitchen system apparently makes more sense, as do other Moen's that aren't the single lever kitchen concept.
These days I treat all but the simplest parts of faucets as disposable units. If it's anything more complicated than the diffuser or MAYBE a part in a knob-turned valve, it's so much easier to just pull out the whole thing and replace the entire faucet that the marginal extra cost in parts is more than made up for in time and frustration. I suppose there are faucets expensive enough to make repairs worthwhile, I might try that or pay someone to do it, but a perfectly functional kitchen faucet from Lowes Depot is no more than $150 and from walking out the door to completing install and cleanup is probably 50 minutes, barring major checkout delays or too much indecision about which exact one best meets your aesthetics.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Dec 2017, 19:17

Alright, carpeting is all ordered! Now let's see which gets here first, the carpet or the refrigerator.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Dec 2017, 19:41

Highway wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 19:17
Alright, carpeting is all ordered! Now let's see which gets here first, the carpet or the refrigerator.
Hopefully the refrigerator. Unless you're laying carpet in the kitchen.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Jan 2018, 21:12

It's like we've moved out of half our house. All the shelves are bare, furniture's moved, still have to move a bunch of other stuff, threw away 4x as much garbage this week as normal, including a lot of old discolored clothes out of the closet and dressers. This is a good excuse to not replace the carpeting for another 20 years...

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jan 2018, 20:54

The ole Dust Buster busted it's last dust. I seek the wisdom of the Gryll.
Anybody love their hand held cordless vac? Or hate?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Home $weet Home

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Jan 2018, 21:49

I have one of these. Functional by my standards. It busts dust and pet hair and whatever else with perfect cromulence.

The charging light is awfully bright at night. Like distracting. If you want a blue night light, this is your vac. If you want to sleep in an adjacent room and like a dark room, this will make that more difficult.

And its charger is a pedestal that it just sits on, semi upright. It doesn’t click into place or anything. It’s more just balancing there. So you can’t mount the charger inside a closet or such. It has to sit somewhere. Ours is just on a bookshelf in the living room.

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Jan 2018, 22:08

I got the cordless Dyson from Costco. I like it. Since I have hardwood floors, it's our only vacuum, but it also works as a small handheld too.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Jan 2018, 15:32

New carpeting coming on Tuesday! Gotta take apart the rest of the house by then (it's mostly been taken apart for the last two weeks, tho)

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jan 2018, 15:51

Highway wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 15:32
New carpeting coming on Tuesday! Gotta take apart the rest of the house by then (it's mostly been taken apart for the last two weeks, tho)
I feel your pain. Putting in labor to make your house practically unlivable, just so you can put in even more labor to make it livable again after they lay the carpet, and let's all hope and pray that goes without a hitch. It'll be worth it in the end of course, but in the mean time it's unrewarding and damned inconvenient.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Jan 2018, 07:52

Carpeting was all installed yesterday (yay!). 4-man crew, arrived at 8:30 and left at 4:50, so a full day of work. Most surprising thing: How long steps take to carpet. Cutting, stretching on two faces, putting in a billion staples, getting out of the way for people going up and down the stairs, and only having space for one person to work on it made that take most of the afternoon for that guy.

I managed to get the bed put back together, but that's about it. And really sore today...

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Jan 2018, 10:33

installing carpeting is fucking awful and the only good thing about it is the pure rage you can put into removing carpeting. carpet knife and hatred...