#noshame

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: #noshame

Post by Warren » 03 Apr 2014, 11:27

nicole wrote:
dhex wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Warren wrote:
dhex wrote:man, you will see me do many things, but "they didn't give me the ending i wanted and i wuz robbed" ain't one of them.
But that's only because the place in your brain where plot development belongs there's a beat drop.
Or he can enjoy the journey regardless of the eventual destination.
yeah i mean plot development doesn't mean wrapped up in a bow. except it does to most of the audience.
dhex do you care about plot at all? e.g., in books? just curious.
Books? You might be on to something there. Seems I recall dhex expressing favorable opinions of books with plots. Never film or television though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 03 Apr 2014, 11:32

Nope. Just recently dhex praised the plot and dramatic resolution of The Rapture.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Apr 2014, 11:42

I'm with dhex, I think. You don't need to have every single thread tied up, you don't need to have everything neat and pretty at the end. It's ok to leave things hanging. The end of a show is not the end of the world. Things continue on in life. Not everything gets resolved. And it's not bad writing to acknowledge that.

I don't think it's wrong after the fact to wonder about such plot threads, or even lament that they weren't resolved or explored as much as you want. But saying it ruins the whole show and pitching a fit because every single thing isn't wrapped up nice and clean is toddler tantrum zone. It doesn't mean the plot is bad.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 03 Apr 2014, 11:53

it seems to me, though, that HIMYM tied things up "neatly" but wrongly.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 03 Apr 2014, 12:00

Who the shit gives a shit about the ending of a shitty network sitcom? I'll be gutted if Modern Family doesn't tie it all up with a neat bow and lots of Columbian thinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngs.

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 03 Apr 2014, 12:03

dbcooper wrote:Who the shit gives a shit about the ending of a shitty network sitcom?
a lot of people apparently.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Apr 2014, 12:05

Ayn_Randian wrote:it seems to me, though, that HIMYM tied things up "neatly" but wrongly.
Yes, this is an important point. There's a difference between "I didn't get the ending I wanted" or "everything wrapped up in a bow" or "happy endings" and "the writers/author took a giant loose dump on everything".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Apr 2014, 12:08

Having loose threads means you can bring the cast* back 10 years later for a TV movie.

*The ones that haven't OD'd on their drug(s) of choice, that is.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Apr 2014, 12:46

dbcooper wrote:Nope. Just recently dhex praised the plot and dramatic resolution of The Rapture.
This
dhex wrote:
dbcooper wrote:The Rapture. Excellent early 90's indie movie. The opening sequence is really good.

Louis was a great man.
the end of that film is totally bangin'.
was all I could find. There's no acknowledgement of plot there. Much less, an expression of interest in it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 Apr 2014, 13:11

nicole wrote:
dhex wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Warren wrote:
dhex wrote:man, you will see me do many things, but "they didn't give me the ending i wanted and i wuz robbed" ain't one of them.
But that's only because the place in your brain where plot development belongs there's a beat drop.
Or he can enjoy the journey regardless of the eventual destination.
yeah i mean plot development doesn't mean wrapped up in a bow. except it does to most of the audience.
dhex do you care about plot at all? e.g., in books? just curious.
it's not particularly important to me. i care mostly about mood. i do like me a good hammett novel, despite being plotty, as they're all about mood.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Shem

Post by Shem » 03 Apr 2014, 16:21

Ayn_Randian wrote:it seems to me, though, that HIMYM tied things up "neatly" but wrongly.
Wrong how?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 03 Apr 2014, 16:26

Shem wrote:
Wrong how?
oh I'm not a fan so I'm not that invested. I guess what I should have said was, "there was no uncertainty with the ending of HIMYM. It was the certainty that made people mad i.e. it was the 'wrong' answer in the mind of the fans."

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Apr 2014, 16:29

Ayn_Randian wrote:
Shem wrote:
Wrong how?
oh I'm not a fan so I'm not that invested. I guess what I should have said was, "there was no uncertainty with the ending of HIMYM. It was the certainty that made people mad i.e. it was the 'wrong' answer in the mind of the fans."
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1482&start=475#p228811
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1482&start=500#p228873
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Apr 2014, 19:23

I don't get the complaint, really. Some people don't like the endlessly hyped-grand finales of shows they've watched for, say, nine years*. They complain about it for a short period. The fans on Tumblr vent their faux-rage. Sometimes people get hyperbolic abouttheir displeasure when someone brings it up years later, much like how sometimes people get hyperbolic about how awesome something they liked was when it comes up years later.

Or is this just, "I'm just tired of having heard the same positive or negative opinion from eighteen hundred people in the last week."?

* For a damn geek, I'm out of touch with anything on TV. Imagine my shock when I learned that Smallville ran for ten years...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Apr 2014, 22:05

Wait Smallville was on the air for 10 seasons? For reals?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Apr 2014, 23:18

Mo wrote:Wait Smallville was on the air for 10 seasons? For reals?
Aught-one to aught-eleven.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 03 Apr 2014, 23:55

Hugh Akston wrote:
Mo wrote:Wait Smallville was on the air for 10 seasons? For reals?
Aught-one to aught-eleven.
"The winter of aught five..."

Shem

Post by Shem » 04 Apr 2014, 04:43

Eric the .5b wrote:I don't get the complaint, really. Some people don't like the endlessly hyped-grand finales of shows they've watched for, say, nine years*. They complain about it for a short period. The fans on Tumblr vent their faux-rage. Sometimes people get hyperbolic abouttheir displeasure when someone brings it up years later, much like how sometimes people get hyperbolic about how awesome something they liked was when it comes up years later.

Or is this just, "I'm just tired of having heard the same positive or negative opinion from eighteen hundred people in the last week."?

* For a damn geek, I'm out of touch with anything on TV. Imagine my shock when I learned that Smallville ran for ten years...
I'm just worried people are going to bitch about this for as long as they've bitched about Firefly.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 04 Apr 2014, 09:07

Shem wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:I don't get the complaint, really. Some people don't like the endlessly hyped-grand finales of shows they've watched for, say, nine years*. They complain about it for a short period. The fans on Tumblr vent their faux-rage. Sometimes people get hyperbolic abouttheir displeasure when someone brings it up years later, much like how sometimes people get hyperbolic about how awesome something they liked was when it comes up years later.

I'm just worried people are going to bitch about this for as long as they've bitched about Firefly.
No way. It looks like HIMYM was aging and they botched the euthanasia. Firefly was cut down in its prime...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Apr 2014, 10:37

i'm more on team jason for this one; i think it's a fairly common human trait (because ambiguity is fucking terrifying) that transfers over to many facets of our uh entertainment life? entertainment ecosystem? that thing.

when combined with entitlement it transmutes into this kind of infantile expectation of being entertained. ever entertain a cranky baby? that's basically mass media's target audience. (niche markets being more like a colicky baby with asthma)
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 04 Apr 2014, 13:17

dhex wrote:

i'm more on team jason for this one; i think it's a fairly common human trait (because ambiguity is fucking terrifying) that transfers over to many facets of our uh entertainment life? entertainment ecosystem? that thing.

when combined with entitlement it transmutes into this kind of infantile expectation of being entertained. ever entertain a cranky baby? that's basically mass media's target audience. (niche markets being more like a colicky baby with asthma)
I'm not sure the expectation that your entertainment, well, entertain you is infantile, especially if you're paying for it. But network TV? Bitching that your free pony isn't exactly the color you'd like is asking a bit much. Go find other entertainment choices that cater to your tastes/expectations/irrational prejudices/whatever better than the shit CBS is doling out for free. That may cost you a bit more, but that's the breaks. Niche tastes require more investment to acquire, either in time or money. Free content, you get to pretty much like it or lump it. (see also: the intarwebs).
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 Apr 2014, 15:09

Bought a ticket to see Future Islands. Hope they play "Beach Foam".

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 10 Apr 2014, 21:38

Dr Hook will be performing their first show in Jamaica next month. I'm seriously considering going by myself to a mother's day festival to see them.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jul 2014, 23:11

OMFSM! I just spent the last forty minutes laughing my pasty ass off. YouTuber Nates Vlogs: Employee Evaluations. Holy shit that's funny stuff.
I assume anything I find on the innertubes, everybody else has already Been There Done That, got the t-shirt, gave it to GoodWill.
If you haven't, check out two or three and as many more as you want until you stop laughing.

EDIT
Oh and NSFW
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Jan 2015, 18:26

iTunes is playing "Jimmy Olsen's Blues", because I unironically have the three Spin Doctors songs.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR