#noshame

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: #noshame

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Jan 2015, 18:29

Perhaps mitigated by the fact that it followed this:

(with the caveat that Caesar didn't know shit about the Anglo Saxons because Britain was inhabited by the Britons at that point, and the Anglos and Saxons wouldn't show up there for a few centuries)
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Jan 2015, 19:12

Have you heard the first track off the new Goats? The whole album is apparently about wrestling seen through the lens of youth and then adulthood.

I need justice in my life, here it comes

Look High
It's my last hope
Chavo Guerrero
Coming off the top rope

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Jan 2015, 19:54

Yeah, saw that. I like the song. Got tickets to see them in May.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Mar 2015, 23:02

Y'know how we have some grylliaders who get totally freaked out by pictures/video of spiders? I'm totally cool with (most) spiders. Snakes, no problem. Seeing my own blood? Not a big deal.

But this is my kill it with fire moment*

*Trigger warning - just people and a big rock, and no violence or injury of any kind

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 Mar 2015, 02:54

Fuck no.

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Mar 2015, 08:56

Could only take a minute of that. It's not the thing itself that bugs me, it's the off camera dicks being dicks I can't deal with.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Mar 2015, 13:24

Douchery I can deal with. But holy fuck. I'm not all that claustrophobic from simple tight spaces. But if there's any question of me not getting through them/out of them at my immediate desire to do so, that's a world of nope. Could not be a caver in any but the most beginnery of caves. I've gone exploring in lava tubes, but I want a good six inches of clearance in all directions for any entry/egress. Preferably plenty of space for two people to pass so some other jackass can't block me in.

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Mar 2015, 13:36

lunchstealer wrote:Douchery I can deal with. But holy fuck. I'm not all that claustrophobic from simple tight spaces. But if there's any question of me not getting through them/out of them at my immediate desire to do so, that's a world of nope. Could not be a caver in any but the most beginnery of caves. I've gone exploring in lava tubes, but I want a good six inches of clearance in all directions for any entry/egress. Preferably plenty of space for two people to pass so some other jackass can't block me in.
Were you ever shoved into a school locker? What impact do you feel that experience (or lack thereof) has on your claustrophobia?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Mar 2015, 16:44

Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:Douchery I can deal with. But holy fuck. I'm not all that claustrophobic from simple tight spaces. But if there's any question of me not getting through them/out of them at my immediate desire to do so, that's a world of nope. Could not be a caver in any but the most beginnery of caves. I've gone exploring in lava tubes, but I want a good six inches of clearance in all directions for any entry/egress. Preferably plenty of space for two people to pass so some other jackass can't block me in.
Were you ever shoved into a school locker? What impact do you feel that experience (or lack thereof) has on your claustrophobia?
Nope. I don't think there was any traumatic thing. If there was, it was early enough that I don't remember it. Maybe I tried to get under a bed that I was no longer small enough to get under, and kinda panicked. I vaguely remember something like that, but again, I think it was more the result of the fear of getting stuck than the cause of it.

JD

Post by JD » 21 Mar 2015, 17:07

lunchstealer wrote:Nope. I don't think there was any traumatic thing. If there was, it was early enough that I don't remember it.
The trauma of your own birth? Now, why you would be traumatized by that, and not a lot of other people by their own, is a good question...
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 21 Mar 2015, 18:24

Insert inappropriate joke about the tightness of...you know what, never mind.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Mar 2015, 13:23

The unbearable tightness of being?

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 22 Mar 2015, 13:55

Damn it! I had something for this!
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Mar 2015, 14:24

the innominate one wrote:Insert inappropriate joke about the tightness of...you know what, never mind.
No problem:

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 22 Mar 2015, 14:59

Wow, there's a lot of dirty music from way back then. Do conservatives know about this?

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 22 Mar 2015, 15:55

Oh, filthy thirties blues songs are one of my favorite things. My absolute favorites are the ones that nominally mean something else:

Shem

Post by Shem » 24 Mar 2015, 21:52

lunchstealer wrote:Y'know how we have some grylliaders who get totally freaked out by pictures/video of spiders? I'm totally cool with (most) spiders. Snakes, no problem. Seeing my own blood? Not a big deal.

*Trigger warning - just people and a big rock, and no violence or injury of any kind
I had a brief moment of something similar, then I thought "why are you freaking out, you wouldn't fit through to get in the cave, let alone get stuck trying to come out" and I felt better.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 24 Mar 2015, 23:21

Jadagul - noice.

JD

Post by JD » 04 Sep 2015, 12:49

I have decided that the Eagles are not all that bad.

(The band, not the football team.)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Sep 2015, 13:00

JD wrote:I have decided that the Eagles are not all that bad.

(The band, not the football team.)
Did your band make you play some Eagles music? Did it make you have Stockholm Syndrome?

(our band has agreed to never play any Eagles again. Soooo boooooring)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Sep 2015, 13:01

You're taking it to the limit there, JD.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Sep 2015, 13:17

thoreau wrote:You're taking it to the limit there, JD.
JD lives life in the fast lane.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Sep 2015, 13:21

The band called Eagles are victims of their rather remarkable success. If their Greatest Hits album didn't have sales numbers approaching Michael Jackson's Thriller, reasonable people might reasonably conclude they're a good soft rock, California sound band from the early 70s with a half dozen or so really very good songs performed with some really very good harmonies.

As it is, however, they've been way overexposed on classic rock stations and by covers and, as a result, a song like 'Hotel California' that was understandably a hit when it was released now ranks with 'Freebird' and 'Stairway to Heaven' and is perilously close to 'Inna Godda Da Vida', a song the world would be better off never, ever hearing again, even while tripping.

I took the family to the Eagles concert in Dallas last year and a large, age diverse audience, ourselves included, thoroughly enjoyed it. (Especially Joe Walsh's 'Life's Been Good', which remains a favorite of mine.)

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Sep 2015, 14:45

I will never ever say anything that could be interpreted as suggesting that DAR is correct.

But despite being overplayed, Stairway is a fucking great song (as is Freebird, if I'm honest, and I might even have "Simple Man" lurking in my MP3 folder).

My hatred of the Eagles didn't really flourish until PBS/KERA started running The Eagles 25th Anniversary Reunion Concert non stop during pledge drive. Thanks for pre-empting Nova or Frontline or even your endless re-runs of Are You Being Served? to play lame Boomer yacht rock so that you can get some of that sweet VH1 skrilla. Brit Floyd gets the same condemnation, but Pink Floyd isn't nearly as overplayed, and was never as formulaic.

Bob Seger

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Sep 2015, 15:39

lunchstealer wrote:I will never ever say anything that could be interpreted as suggesting that DAR is correct.

But despite being overplayed, Stairway is a fucking great song (as is Freebird, if I'm honest, and I might even have "Simple Man" lurking in my MP3 folder).

My hatred of the Eagles didn't really flourish until PBS/KERA started running The Eagles 25th Anniversary Reunion Concert non stop during pledge drive. Thanks for pre-empting Nova or Frontline or even your endless re-runs of Are You Being Served? to play lame Boomer yacht rock so that you can get some of that sweet VH1 skrilla. Brit Floyd gets the same condemnation, but Pink Floyd isn't nearly as overplayed, and was never as formulaic.

Bob Seger
"Stairway is a fucking great song" is a true statement but unrelated to the fact that it's been played to death over the years. For that matter, Led Zeppelin is "Boomer ... rock", too.

Beyond that, holding the Eagles responsible for PBS trying to cash in on their popularity is silly. Should Henley, who keeps a house in Dallas, have called KERA and told them to stop because it was embarrassing?

Ninety nine percent of popular music is formulaic. Dylan probably used I-IV-V progressions, throwing in a VI or a 7th chord for color, in at least a third to a half of his songs. Who the hell didn't?

To each his own.