Mo's moderately interesting sci/tech thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
thoreau
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mo's moderately interesting sci/tech thread

Post by thoreau » 05 Sep 2019, 17:03

Crops can co-exist with solar panels:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/09 ... a-win-win/
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Aresen » 11 Sep 2019, 16:53

Water found in the atmosphere of a planet in the habitable zone of another star.
Astronomers have for the first time discovered water in the atmosphere of a planet orbiting within the habitable zone of a distant star.

The finding makes the world - which is called K2-18b - a plausible candidate in the search for alien life.

Within 10 years, new space telescopes might be able to determine whether K2-18b's atmosphere contains gases that could be produced by living organisms.

Details were published in the scientific journal Nature Astronomy.

The lead scientist, Prof Giovanna Tinetti of University College London (UCL) described the discovery as "mind blowing".

"This is the first time that we have detected water on a planet in the habitable zone around a star where the temperature is potentially compatible with the presence of life," she said.

The habitable zone is the region around a star where temperatures are sufficiently benign for water to exist in liquid form on the surface of a planet.

K2-18b is 111 light-years - about 650 million million miles - from Earth, too far to send a probe. So the only option is to wait for the next generation of space telescopes to be launched in the 2020s and to look for gasses in the planet's atmosphere that could only be produced by living organisms, according to UCL's Dr Ingo Waldmann.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Sep 2019, 18:45

Finding ferns and fungus on another world would be quite the discovery. But if we can't find anyone to talk to, it doesn't mean that much.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Sep 2019, 05:51

But Warren space ferns means we could one day grow space weed.

The thc count would be out of this world.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Sep 2019, 07:07

I was going to solve the Fermi paradox, but then I got high.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Sep 2019, 09:21

dhex wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 05:51

When did dhex start making dad jokes?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Sep 2019, 10:55

Mo wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 09:21
dhex wrote:

He's warming up to mingle with the Johnnies.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Sep 2019, 11:11

Kolohe wrote:I was going to solve the Fermi paradox, but then I got high.
I was gonna build the TMT,
But I got high,
I was gonna scan the entire sky,
But I got high,
SJWs shut down the project,
And I know why, (why, man?)
Because I got high,
Because I got high,
Because I got high.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 Sep 2019, 11:39

Warren wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 18:45
Finding ferns and fungus on another world would be quite the discovery. But if we can't find anyone to talk to, it doesn't mean that much.
Ferns and fungi would be more interesting to talk to than some of my coworkers.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Sep 2019, 11:45

Andrew wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 11:39
Warren wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 18:45
Ferns and fungi would be more interesting to talk to than some of my coworkers.
Because they got high?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Sep 2019, 13:25

Mo wrote:
dhex wrote:

Like '97 ish. I have a bunch of weed dad jokes.

Why was the dumb stoner staring at the dab pen with a furrowed brow?
It said concentrate.

Did you hear about the stoner roommates who had a bad argument?
It was heated at first, but they hashed it out.

What's a stoners favorite insecticide?
Roach spray.

Why do stoners react calmly to bad news?
Their emotional affect is blunted.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Sep 2019, 14:39

Better start brushing up on your croquet game.

Jake

Post by Jake » 12 Sep 2019, 15:44

dhex wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 13:25
Mo wrote:
[dad jokes]
Dhex is preparing for a new writing career, to commence as soon as the pot-enriched version of Laffy Taffy is ready to launch. :)
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Sep 2019, 10:11

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 14:39
Better start brushing up on your croquet game.
Truth the Annapolis cup is no joke.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Oct 2019, 11:56

Scania AXL concept.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Oct 2019, 18:25

dbcooper wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 11:56

Scania AXL concept.
That's like right out of some 1980s "what the future will be like" book for kids.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 24 Oct 2019, 23:44

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Oct 2019, 09:06

Awesome

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Oct 2019, 11:22

Did it reach the plate?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 15 Nov 2019, 12:33

This year's James Dyson Award has gone to Lucy Hughes, who invented MarinaTex, a bioplastic made out of fish-processing waste. It's efficient in its use of raw materials - "One single Atlantic cod fish produces enough waste for 1,400 MarinaTex bags" - and in that it doesn't require high temperatures in the manufacturing process, and MarinaTex biodegrades in four to six weeks. Also, it's stronger than LDPE at the same thickness.

https://www.jamesdysonaward.org/2019/project/marinatex/
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovati ... 180973550/
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Nov 2019, 12:36

JD wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 12:33
This year's James Dyson Award has gone to Lucy Hughes, who invented MarinaTex, a bioplastic made out of fish-processing waste. It's efficient in its use of raw materials - "One single Atlantic cod fish produces enough waste for 1,400 MarinaTex bags" - and in that it doesn't require high temperatures in the manufacturing process, and MarinaTex biodegrades in four to six weeks. Also, it's stronger than LDPE at the same thickness.

That's neat.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2019, 12:59

Hugh Akston wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 12:36
JD wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 12:33

That's neat.
Yeah, this is the kind of shit I want to get my environmentalist friends interested in, but they don't actually give a shit about the environment it's all Korpashuns Evil!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Nov 2019, 13:51

Biodegrading in 4-6 weeks? Seems a little short for a lot of applications.
--Mo

JD

Post by JD » 15 Nov 2019, 14:00

thoreau wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 13:51
I was wondering about that too. I think that may be why they're positioning it only for certain uses where long life is not an issue. Also, I'd be curious to know whether that means 4-6 weeks in the ocean, in a landfill, sitting on the shelf, or what.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Nov 2019, 14:03

thoreau wrote:
15 Nov 2019, 13:51
If it's food-safe then that's a perfect timeframe for a lot of packaging. Likewise plastic straws and other high-volume single uses. It's not going to solve all the problems, but it will solve a lot of them.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman