Mo's moderately interesting sci/tech thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: Mo's moderately interesting sci/tech thread

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Jun 2015, 21:30

the innominate one wrote:That's way too heavy for flies to carry.
Yeah, they were trying it for the carrier-landing variant of the horsefly, but it turned out to be a worse idea than the F35.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 03 Jun 2015, 22:06

lunchstealer wrote:
the innominate one wrote:That's way too heavy for flies to carry.
Yeah, they were trying it for the carrier-landing variant of the horsefly, but it turned out to be a worse idea than the F35.
Whoah, watch the hyperbole.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 17 Jul 2015, 19:29

Bacon flavored healthy seaweed as a food: science at its finest.

http://news.discovery.com/tech/biotechn ... 150717.htm
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Jul 2015, 10:21

Researchers able to hack air-gapped computers.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 28 Jul 2015, 10:36

Mo wrote:Researchers able to hack air-gapped computers.
It's hardly a hack if you have to install malware on the air-gapped device first. The whole point of air-gapping is to prevent the unauthorized uploading and downloading of information. If you can get close enough to the air-gapped computer to install malware, you can get close enough to steal data...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Highway

Post by Highway » 28 Jul 2015, 11:09

Taktix® wrote:
It's hardly a hack if you have to install malware on the air-gapped device first. The whole point of air-gapping is to prevent the unauthorized uploading and downloading of information. If you can get close enough to the air-gapped computer to install malware, you can get close enough to steal data...
But it's still a hack, and it still allows you to steal *future* data without further access. Yes, air-gapped computers aren't supposed to have someone bringing in and out USB, but it's much easier to do that one time than again and again, or even if the person doing the compromising is doing the setup of the computer, or doesn't realize it when using someone else's software package. And the fact of it being an air-gapped computer could give people a false sense of security. "We don't need to check for malware, because this is a protected computer." The main point I take away from the exercise is "don't get lax on security just because you think your computer is air-gapped".
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 28 Jul 2015, 11:32

Highway wrote:
Taktix® wrote:
But it's still a hack, and it still allows you to steal *future* data without further access. Yes, air-gapped computers aren't supposed to have someone bringing in and out USB, but it's much easier to do that one time than again and again, or even if the person doing the compromising is doing the setup of the computer, or doesn't realize it when using someone else's software package. And the fact of it being an air-gapped computer could give people a false sense of security. "We don't need to check for malware, because this is a protected computer." The main point I take away from the exercise is "don't get lax on security just because you think your computer is air-gapped".
Fair enough, I just thought the headline was misleading, but I suppose that's SOP these days.

Damn kids, get off my digital lawn!
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 28 Jul 2015, 18:05

Who air-gaps their workstation but doesn't have a Faraday Cage installed?

/Bruce Schneier

JD

Post by JD » 29 Jul 2015, 12:35

Soon, treating cataracts may be as easy as using eye drops: http://www.medicaldaily.com/cataracts-m ... st_shared1

And macular degeneration is treatable using bionic eyes with retinal implants: http://www.medicaldaily.com/bionic-eye- ... st_shared3
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Jul 2015, 14:15

JD wrote:Soon, treating cataracts may be as easy as using eye drops: http://www.medicaldaily.com/cataracts-m ... st_shared1

And macular degeneration is treatable using bionic eyes with retinal implants: http://www.medicaldaily.com/bionic-eye- ... st_shared3
I heard that ophthalmologists were freaked out by the possibility of cataract surgery going bye-bye. Leaving aside the fact that those eye drops probably won't work for everyone (because what medication works for everyone?) and that patients it will probably require a lot of monitoring (at least at first), I guess we know what they'll be doing instead: Retinal implants. Which is way more intensive than cataract surgery and will yield them way more lucrative surgical hours per patient (while they continue to charge for cataract diagnosis, drop prescriptions, and medication monitoring on their non-surgical days).

Also, you don't need anesthesiologists to work on the lens. You do need anesthesiologists to work on the retina. More billable procedures for everyone!
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Jul 2015, 16:08

JD wrote:Soon, treating cataracts may be as easy as using eye drops: http://www.medicaldaily.com/cataracts-m ... st_shared1

Damn, just after my cataract surgery.

TBS, i really want them to find a way to reverse the damage done by my glaucoma.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 30 Jul 2015, 10:20

thoreau wrote:

I heard that ophthalmologists were freaked out by the possibility of cataract surgery going bye-bye. Leaving aside the fact that those eye drops probably won't work for everyone (because what medication works for everyone?) and that patients it will probably require a lot of monitoring (at least at first), I guess we know what they'll be doing instead: Retinal implants. Which is way more intensive than cataract surgery and will yield them way more lucrative surgical hours per patient (while they continue to charge for cataract diagnosis, drop prescriptions, and medication monitoring on their non-surgical days).

Also, you don't need anesthesiologists to work on the lens. You do need anesthesiologists to work on the retina. More billable procedures for everyone!
According to my dad, a recently retired doctor, there's actually not that much money in surgery anymore. That used to be where all the top MDs would go since it paid the most, especially with on call stuff. Over the years though hospitals have been cutting away(ha) the amount little by little so it's been passed by other areas of medicine.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Jul 2015, 10:36

Anesthesiologists are being replaced by nurse anesthetists. The hospital still gets billable time, but at a reduced rate.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Jul 2015, 13:58

Painboy wrote:
thoreau wrote:

According to my dad, a recently retired doctor, there's actually not that much money in surgery anymore. That used to be where all the top MDs would go since it paid the most, especially with on call stuff. Over the years though hospitals have been cutting away(ha) the amount little by little so it's been passed by other areas of medicine.
Got curious about this topic and found this recent report of doc earnings broken out in various ways. Ortho FTW.

http://www.medscape.com/features/slides ... overview#2

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jul 2015, 21:45

At first I thought the link was going to say orthodontists. Dentists make more on average than doctors, which seems to indicate that 3rd party payment is likely not the key driver of medical wages, but rather cartel practices.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 11 Aug 2015, 19:34

The "Lucy" auto-adjusting solar light looks pretty cool, but the more I think about it the less sure I am how useful it actually is. For one thing, it's most powerful on sunny days...which is when you'd need it least. The room has to get direct sunlight, but still need more light. (Or need light, and be within line of sight of a room that has direct sunlight.) It won't be much use on cloudy days and none at night. And at $300, it's a lot more expensive than buying a couple floor lamps and some CFL bulbs.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Aug 2015, 19:49

Plus, how much good does it do to 'track the sun' unless you manage to put it right on the windowsill? And if it's for that, why make it all round? If it's on a table a couple feet inside the window, the sun will move off the mirror.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Aug 2015, 19:51

No, you put it outside the window in the yard.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Aug 2015, 15:26

A private fusion company has apparently broken the world record for containing a ball of plasma, holding it 16 times longer than previous groups.

http://news.sciencemag.org/physics/2015 ... eakthrough

I still don't think it will amount to anything because fusion. Also, no peer-reviewed report and no demonstration open to skeptical investigators. However, if this is true, it is moderately interesting to me for three reasons:
1) It was done cheaper than most work of this sort.
2) They (allegedly) broke a record by a pretty wide margin.
3) Their plan to use hydrogen-boron fusion and eliminate neutron emission (which damages the reactors) is interesting. Then again, I don't know what sorts of side reactions might be going on at that temperature.

Also, I don't think this will amount to anything because fusion.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

JD

Post by JD » 27 Aug 2015, 17:44

Here's something bizarre and interesting I ran across almost at random: the vacuum catastrophe. No, it does not involve someone attempting to use a Hoover for personal gratification, it's
the disagreement of over 100 orders of magnitude between measured values of the vacuum energy density and the theoretical zero-point energy suggested by quantum field theory. This discrepancy has been described as "the worst theoretical prediction in the history of physics."

The magnitude of this discrepancy is entirely beyond the descriptive power of any kind of commonplace comparison. For instance, the statement "the universe consists of exactly one elementary particle" is closer to being true, by at least ten orders of magnitude, than the incorrect vacuum-catastrophe prediction.

JD

Post by JD » 03 Sep 2015, 14:02

It's official: we have autonomous killer robots on the loose. They are, admittedly, only killing invasive Crown-of-Thorns starfish.
The COTSbot is an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV). This class of robot is designed to operate without a tether and execute missions with minimal human interaction once deployed. The primary task of the COTSbot AUV is to autonomously navigate within complex reef environments and automatically detect COTS (Crown Of Thorns Starfish) on the coral and administer an injection.
Put simply, when released into the water, it moves around looking for COTS, and when it finds one,it injects the starfish with bile salts, which kills it rapidly.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 03 Sep 2015, 14:38

Cool, but no substitute for a properly functioning ecosystem.

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Sep 2015, 14:47

the innominate one wrote:Cool, but no substitute for a properly functioning ecosystem.
I agree in principle, but isn't that kind of begging the question in assuming that there is a substitute way to get a properly functioning ecosystem in the case of an invasive like that? And humanity and the world has been down that road of trying to combat one invasive species with another, only to find that the second invasive is at least as bad as the first, or doesn't even get rid of the first, so you have two. It's not like a drone like that will become an invasive itself (that's an argument for other drones).

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 03 Sep 2015, 14:53

All true. You've got to restore some semblance of balance (loosely speaking, as the balance of nature (really, equilibrium theory) is a discredited ecological paradigm).

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Sep 2015, 15:34

Since it's killing Crown of Thorns starfish, would one call this a Pilate program?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex