Mo's moderately interesting sci/tech thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Mo's moderately interesting sci/tech thread

Post by Mo » 09 Jan 2013, 18:11

The Pebble watch is an interesting concept, but looks atrocious. It's like someone thought the Casio calculator watch had clean lines.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Mo's moderately interesting sci/tech thread

Post by Sandy » 10 Jan 2013, 13:13

Mo wrote:The Pebble watch is an interesting concept, but looks atrocious. It's like someone thought the Casio calculator watch had clean lines.
This. Plus we just got rid of watches. Unless that thing's also a phone, I don't see it catching on. And even then...do you want earbuds going to your wrist?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Jan 2013, 13:28

Sandy wrote:
Mo wrote:The Pebble watch is an interesting concept, but looks atrocious. It's like someone thought the Casio calculator watch had clean lines.
This. Plus we just got rid of watches. Unless that thing's also a phone, I don't see it catching on. And even then...do you want earbuds going to your wrist?
I am wondering how long before some company comes up with an implanted version.

Of course, undergoing surgery every 60 days to have it replaced with the latest version would be a pain.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Jan 2013, 13:29

Sandy wrote:
Watches are so much more convenient than cell phones as time pieces. And also prettier.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 Jan 2013, 13:31

Jadagul wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Watches are so much more convenient than cell phones as time pieces. And also prettier.
Agree
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Jan 2013, 13:35

I can definitely see a use for this if it is integrated tightly with your cell phone in your pocket. A convenient control interface on your wrist that's also a watch, and also a display for various other apps that either run on the watch or on your phone and display on the watch.

So you keep your phone in your pocket. Maybe you have headphones on cause you're walking around and listening to music. Song comes on you don't like, change it from your watch, without taking phone out of pocket, unlocking, changing song, putting phone back in pocket...

Or a call comes in, you look at watch, see who it is, decide to answer it, and use hands free headphones / mic to talk without having to take phone out of pocket. Or you see who it is and decide not to answer it, and reject call / silence ringer from watch.

Or a text message comes in, read it on your watch, phone still in pocket.

All of this is easier with this on your wrist than taking the phone out of your pocket, unlocking, etc.

I don't know how integrated with the phone's capabilities it would be, but I can definitely see a use for that kind of control interface.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Jan 2013, 13:52

I agree with Highway that it's a potentially interesting idea. However, the execution sucks. You can read text messages, but can't reply. You also can't access old notifications. Having the watch act as a second screen with your phone would be really useful and interesting. More useful, link to voice control and be able to input without typing on a tiny ass screen. The other thing is to make it not look like a 5 year old's cheap plastic watch. The Sony SmartWatch is much better looking, but apparently absolutely useless.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Jan 2013, 14:02

Mo wrote:The other thing is to make it not look like a 5 year old's cheap plastic watch.
That was my first reaction to it. Kinda looked like something out of the Dollar Store.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Jan 2013, 14:11

Mo wrote:I agree with Highway that it's a potentially interesting idea. However, the execution sucks. You can read text messages, but can't reply. You also can't access old notifications. Having the watch act as a second screen with your phone would be really useful and interesting. More useful, link to voice control and be able to input without typing on a tiny ass screen. The other thing is to make it not look like a 5 year old's cheap plastic watch. The Sony SmartWatch is much better looking, but apparently absolutely useless.
I think it would be fine to not have input from the watch besides some limited controls. I guess some voice capability would be good for times you're not wearing headphones / mic or bluetooth headset... maybe, although I can't see what limited voice controls would really do for you, and the idea of holding a call through your wrist seems stupidly Dick Tracy to me. I could see having it *activate* voice control, which you then do through your microphone. I also think making you get your phone out to do text entry would be fine, instead of driving the price, complexity, and annoyance up and usability down by having crappy input from the watch.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Jan 2013, 14:54

I meant voice control for text entry (like sending text messages or short emails). Siri tends to suck at commands, but is pretty good at dictation. The only additional cost for that would be a mic, since all of the voice command could be sent using the exact same Bluetooth chip.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Jan 2013, 18:46

Jadagul wrote:
Sandy wrote:
I know what to say to that Jadagul

+1
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Jan 2013, 19:03

Sandy wrote:
Bluetooth earpieces.

As for text input, Swype and similar methods would work, I think.

I just don't like wearing things on my wrists, though.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Jan 2013, 21:54

It seems like Microsoft is cool with the jailbreaking community and quietly giving them their blessing. Is Microsoft actually "cooler" than Apple?

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 13 Jan 2013, 22:18

Mo wrote:It seems like Microsoft is cool with the jailbreaking community and quietly giving them their blessing. Is Microsoft actually "cooler" than Apple?
Microsoft is more desperate than Apple. If they get back on top, they'll be themselves again.

After all, Apple went from "Yay open source!" to "Our app store. Screw you," in about 7 years.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Jan 2013, 22:56

But this is par for the course with Microsoft. They were cool with people hacking and playing around with Kinect and they were pretty fat and happy then. In fact, it may just be a response from the positive outcome of that.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 13 Jan 2013, 23:01

Sandy wrote:
Mo wrote:It seems like Microsoft is cool with the jailbreaking community and quietly giving them their blessing. Is Microsoft actually "cooler" than Apple?
Microsoft is more desperate than Apple. If they get back on top, they'll be themselves again.

After all, Apple went from "Yay open source!" to "Our app store. Screw you," in about 7 years.
Seems about right. Have to add that MS have really shot themselves in the foot with making Win 8 RT so closed. MS's big draws have long been the availability of software and its API's. Trying to sell people a windows device they can't run Chrome, Firefox, VLC/MPC-HC etc etc etc on just seems daft.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 14 Jan 2013, 01:16

Mo wrote:But this is par for the course with Microsoft. They were cool with people hacking and playing around with Kinect and they were pretty fat and happy then. In fact, it may just be a response from the positive outcome of that.
Wasn't the Kinect thing like a couple of years ago? And kind of unprecedented?

They certainly were tolerant of piracy in China, but beyond that I can't think of any "par" for this particular course. The par for that course is "it ain't done 'till Lotus won't run."

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Jan 2013, 22:02

Nissan Leaf is getting closer the realm of reasonably priced.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/14/niss ... ive-price/

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Jan 2013, 00:46

If electric cars get more cost competitive, that's really something I'd be interested in. My commute is under 10 minutes. 90% of my trips are under 10 minutes, shorter than 5 miles. We're going to have two cars anyway. Having a plug-in hybrid would be ok, except I can't see myself ever using the gas in the tank, so it'd get nasty and ruined. So it's either pure electric or not a plug-in for me.

I also want small scale solar generation to get more efficient and cheaper, so I can put that on my house.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 16 Jan 2013, 09:57

Highway wrote:If electric cars get more cost competitive, that's really something I'd be interested in. My commute is under 10 minutes. 90% of my trips are under 10 minutes, shorter than 5 miles. We're going to have two cars anyway. Having a plug-in hybrid would be ok, except I can't see myself ever using the gas in the tank, so it'd get nasty and ruined. So it's either pure electric or not a plug-in for me.

I also want small scale solar generation to get more efficient and cheaper, so I can put that on my house.
I'm only going to have one car, so I'd like a plug-in hybrid. But given the power reliability around here, some solar generation would be the market.

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Jan 2013, 10:24

No offense to people here that are my Facebook friends, but the idea of replacing dedicated review sites with "what do my Facebook friends like" seems like a terrible idea. There's a chance that the people in Yelp/TripAdvisor know what they're talking about (though I prefer Chowhound), I know that trusting my dining choices to people I went to high school with is a terrible idea.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2013, 10:31

Mo wrote:No offense to people here that are my Facebook friends, but the idea of replacing dedicated review sites with "what do my Facebook friends like" seems like a terrible idea. There's a chance that the people in Yelp/TripAdvisor know what they're talking about (though I prefer Chowhound), I know that trusting my dining choices to people I went to high school with is a terrible idea.
It's like taking the worst meh of Yelp and making it yet worse.

EDIT: and come to think of it, if Yelp started doing reviews with Wonka memepics, they could take this market over immediately.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2013, 10:35

Sandy wrote:
Highway wrote:If electric cars get more cost competitive, that's really something I'd be interested in. My commute is under 10 minutes. 90% of my trips are under 10 minutes, shorter than 5 miles. We're going to have two cars anyway. Having a plug-in hybrid would be ok, except I can't see myself ever using the gas in the tank, so it'd get nasty and ruined. So it's either pure electric or not a plug-in for me.

I'm only going to have one car, so I'd like a plug-in hybrid. But given the power reliability around here, some solar generation would be the market.
I've really been looking at solar generation and such for my next house. What seems to suck about it really is that we are approaching affordability of panels that are integrated into the grid - but you don't get to keep any of the power you create in those models. You aren't in any real way better off in blackout mode. If you look at standalone off the grid solar, storage is expensive and just not all that good. A big expensive dirty battery unit you have to replace with some regularity forever.

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Jan 2013, 10:46

JasonL wrote:
Sandy wrote:

I've really been looking at solar generation and such for my next house. What seems to suck about it really is that we are approaching affordability of panels that are integrated into the grid - but you don't get to keep any of the power you create in those models. You aren't in any real way better off in blackout mode. If you look at standalone off the grid solar, storage is expensive and just not all that good. A big expensive dirty battery unit you have to replace with some regularity forever.
Yeah, for me it would be unlikely that we'd bother with a battery storage. The part that sucks about that is that you either have the battery storage, or when everyone else's power goes off, yours does too. So even if you've got electrical generation at home, if you don't have the buffer built in, it gets shut down when it can't detect power coming in from the line (to prevent lines that should be dead being electrified from the 'wrong' side while people are working on them).

Mostly, we look at solar as something that would reduce our personal impact, not that it would save us money (cause that would be pretty much impossible) or that it would failure-proof us from anything. But our electrical supply is very good, we've only had one multi-day blackout after Hurricane Isabel. The rest of it has been seconds at most.

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Jan 2013, 10:51

In CT the tax incentives are crazy (like 30%). When you combine that with federal incentives (also 30%), it's pretty easy to save money.

SLD§2: I do not agree with these incentives philsophically and would eliminate them if given the chance. However, you'd better believe I'll take them if offered.